Croc Belly Yields Human Remains, Possibly That of Missing 22-Year-Old Aussie Man from Melville Island
By Vittorio Hernandez | August 8, 2014 8:58 AM EST
Local community members of the Tiwi Islands, located 126 kilometres northwest of Darwin in Australia, killed a 2-metre long crocodile on Wednesday afternoon based on the belief that the reptile was the one that ate a missing 22-year-old man from Melville Island.
When the community members opened up the belly of the croc, they discovered human remains believed to be that of Travis Costa, who left on Friday night on foot and has been missing since then.
The Costa family refrained from speaking to media until there is police confirmation that it was Travis, who walked in the direction of the beach, inside the croc's belly.
"This is a very distressing time for the family and community. Police would like to acknowledge the efforts and contribution of the community in the search to date," News.com.au quoted Senior Sergeant Antony Deutrom.
Superintendent Scott Pollock said that Costa is of Aboriginal appearance, about 180 cm tall and of solid body built. Costa comes from the Pirlangimpi community. Pollock added that the police, Northern Territory Emergency Service Volunteers, Night Patrol Officers and community members continue to do extensive land and air search for the missing man.
There had been several reports of crocodile attacks in the rivers of the Northern Territory.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Enhanced Footage Of NASA's Tether Incident Proves Aliens Exist, Say UFO Believers And Experts [Watch Video]
- Philippines’s Mayon Volcano Shoots Lava & Hot Boulders
- Fung-Wong More Like Ketsana Than Haiyan; Kills 1, Displaces 470,000 Filipinos & Paralyses Metro Manila
- A Jawbone Found In Sydney Beach Has Been Matched To An 800-Year Old Skull
- George, The Goldfish Underwent Surgery To Remove Brain Tumour - Watch Video
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best