Croc Belly Yields Human Remains, Possibly That of Missing 22-Year-Old Aussie Man from Melville Island
By Vittorio Hernandez | August 8, 2014 8:58 AM EST
Local community members of the Tiwi Islands, located 126 kilometres northwest of Darwin in Australia, killed a 2-metre long crocodile on Wednesday afternoon based on the belief that the reptile was the one that ate a missing 22-year-old man from Melville Island.
When the community members opened up the belly of the croc, they discovered human remains believed to be that of Travis Costa, who left on Friday night on foot and has been missing since then.
The Costa family refrained from speaking to media until there is police confirmation that it was Travis, who walked in the direction of the beach, inside the croc's belly.
"This is a very distressing time for the family and community. Police would like to acknowledge the efforts and contribution of the community in the search to date," News.com.au quoted Senior Sergeant Antony Deutrom.
Superintendent Scott Pollock said that Costa is of Aboriginal appearance, about 180 cm tall and of solid body built. Costa comes from the Pirlangimpi community. Pollock added that the police, Northern Territory Emergency Service Volunteers, Night Patrol Officers and community members continue to do extensive land and air search for the missing man.
There had been several reports of crocodile attacks in the rivers of the Northern Territory.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report