Croc Belly Yields Human Remains, Possibly That of Missing 22-Year-Old Aussie Man from Melville Island
By Vittorio Hernandez | August 8, 2014 8:58 AM EST
Local community members of the Tiwi Islands, located 126 kilometres northwest of Darwin in Australia, killed a 2-metre long crocodile on Wednesday afternoon based on the belief that the reptile was the one that ate a missing 22-year-old man from Melville Island.
When the community members opened up the belly of the croc, they discovered human remains believed to be that of Travis Costa, who left on Friday night on foot and has been missing since then.
The Costa family refrained from speaking to media until there is police confirmation that it was Travis, who walked in the direction of the beach, inside the croc's belly.
"This is a very distressing time for the family and community. Police would like to acknowledge the efforts and contribution of the community in the search to date," News.com.au quoted Senior Sergeant Antony Deutrom.
Superintendent Scott Pollock said that Costa is of Aboriginal appearance, about 180 cm tall and of solid body built. Costa comes from the Pirlangimpi community. Pollock added that the police, Northern Territory Emergency Service Volunteers, Night Patrol Officers and community members continue to do extensive land and air search for the missing man.
There had been several reports of crocodile attacks in the rivers of the Northern Territory.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- Latest UFO Sighting Arizona: Couple See A Strange House That Appears Out Of No Where and Disappears, MUFON Report
- Couple Who Paid Young Girls To Stomp Puppy To Death Gets Life Sentence
- Australia's Rising Temperatures Have 'Definite' Links To Global Warming
- NASA's Curiosity Rover Discovers Water On Martian Soil: Mars Not A Dry Planet
- Malaysian Flight MH370 Latest Update: New Search Images Reveal Unknown Seabed Details In The Indian Ocean [Watch Video]
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- Obama’s Bid To Blame Intelligence Chief For Inaction On ISIS Backfires: McCain Asks Obama To Admit Own Mistakes