Boxing News 2014: 570 U.S. Theatres to Show Mayweather-Maidana Rematch on Sept 13; Nevada Names Money May Fighter of the Year
By Vittorio Hernandez | August 8, 2014 8:28 AM EST
Boxing fans would be able to watch the rematch on Sept 13 between Floyd Mayweather Jr and Argentinean boxer Marcos Maidana in 570 theatres across the U.S., Mayweather Productions and Fathom Events said on Thursday.
Marcos Maidana (L) of Argentina takes a punch from FloydMayweather Jr. of the U.S. during their WBC/WBA welterweight unification fight at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada, May 3, 2014. REUTERS/Steve Marcus (UNITED STATES - Tags: SPORT BOXING)
The list of the 570 cinemas and ticket prices that vary by each venue are available at www.FathomEvents.com.
The rematch is the third to the last of the unbeaten American boxer's fight before he retires from the sport.
Mayweather said, quoted by ESPN, "I love that fans can go to the movie theatres to watch my fight. Our relationship with Fathom has been a good one this far, and it's only getting stronger. This is my first rematch in over a decade and I'm happy that we're going to give fans the opportunity to see it live on the big screen."
Besides the live match at MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada, the fight could be seen on Showtime pay-per-view at 8 pm instead of the usual 9 pm ET to ensure that East Coast residents don't have to wait after midnight to watch the bout.
Maidana, who sought the rematch after their first fight on May 3 which was not a unanimous decision, likewise said he is happy that the bout would be seen on the big screen "because when I hand Floyd his first loss, it should be larger than life."
Mayweather is scheduled to be given by the Nevada Boxing Hall of Fame the Fighter of the Year award on Saturday at the yearly induction event. It would be the second year that the recognition would be given to Money May.
To be given the Nevada Resident Boxer award is former champ Cornelius Boza-Edwards, trainer and operator of the Mayweather Gym in Las Vegas.
A few weeks ago, Mayweather copped the Fighter of the Year award from ESPY, beating eight-division title holder Manny Pacquiao who could possibly fight Mayweather in the speculated dream match in May 2015.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions