Boxing News 2014: 570 U.S. Theatres to Show Mayweather-Maidana Rematch on Sept 13; Nevada Names Money May Fighter of the Year
By Vittorio Hernandez | August 8, 2014 8:28 AM EST
Boxing fans would be able to watch the rematch on Sept 13 between Floyd Mayweather Jr and Argentinean boxer Marcos Maidana in 570 theatres across the U.S., Mayweather Productions and Fathom Events said on Thursday.
Marcos Maidana (L) of Argentina takes a punch from FloydMayweather Jr. of the U.S. during their WBC/WBA welterweight unification fight at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada, May 3, 2014. REUTERS/Steve Marcus (UNITED STATES - Tags: SPORT BOXING)
The list of the 570 cinemas and ticket prices that vary by each venue are available at www.FathomEvents.com.
The rematch is the third to the last of the unbeaten American boxer's fight before he retires from the sport.
Mayweather said, quoted by ESPN, "I love that fans can go to the movie theatres to watch my fight. Our relationship with Fathom has been a good one this far, and it's only getting stronger. This is my first rematch in over a decade and I'm happy that we're going to give fans the opportunity to see it live on the big screen."
Besides the live match at MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada, the fight could be seen on Showtime pay-per-view at 8 pm instead of the usual 9 pm ET to ensure that East Coast residents don't have to wait after midnight to watch the bout.
Maidana, who sought the rematch after their first fight on May 3 which was not a unanimous decision, likewise said he is happy that the bout would be seen on the big screen "because when I hand Floyd his first loss, it should be larger than life."
Mayweather is scheduled to be given by the Nevada Boxing Hall of Fame the Fighter of the Year award on Saturday at the yearly induction event. It would be the second year that the recognition would be given to Money May.
To be given the Nevada Resident Boxer award is former champ Cornelius Boza-Edwards, trainer and operator of the Mayweather Gym in Las Vegas.
A few weeks ago, Mayweather copped the Fighter of the Year award from ESPY, beating eight-division title holder Manny Pacquiao who could possibly fight Mayweather in the speculated dream match in May 2015.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Sugar Ray Leonard Adds Fuel To Pacquiao-Mayweather Clamour
- Muslim NFL Player Husain Abdullah Penalised For Praying After Touchdown
- Ronda Rousey Puts Up Her Belongings For Auction
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build