Boxing News 2014: 570 U.S. Theatres to Show Mayweather-Maidana Rematch on Sept 13; Nevada Names Money May Fighter of the Year
By Vittorio Hernandez | August 8, 2014 8:28 AM EST
Boxing fans would be able to watch the rematch on Sept 13 between Floyd Mayweather Jr and Argentinean boxer Marcos Maidana in 570 theatres across the U.S., Mayweather Productions and Fathom Events said on Thursday.
Marcos Maidana (L) of Argentina takes a punch from FloydMayweather Jr. of the U.S. during their WBC/WBA welterweight unification fight at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada, May 3, 2014. REUTERS/Steve Marcus (UNITED STATES - Tags: SPORT BOXING)
The list of the 570 cinemas and ticket prices that vary by each venue are available at www.FathomEvents.com.
The rematch is the third to the last of the unbeaten American boxer's fight before he retires from the sport.
Mayweather said, quoted by ESPN, "I love that fans can go to the movie theatres to watch my fight. Our relationship with Fathom has been a good one this far, and it's only getting stronger. This is my first rematch in over a decade and I'm happy that we're going to give fans the opportunity to see it live on the big screen."
Besides the live match at MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada, the fight could be seen on Showtime pay-per-view at 8 pm instead of the usual 9 pm ET to ensure that East Coast residents don't have to wait after midnight to watch the bout.
Maidana, who sought the rematch after their first fight on May 3 which was not a unanimous decision, likewise said he is happy that the bout would be seen on the big screen "because when I hand Floyd his first loss, it should be larger than life."
Mayweather is scheduled to be given by the Nevada Boxing Hall of Fame the Fighter of the Year award on Saturday at the yearly induction event. It would be the second year that the recognition would be given to Money May.
To be given the Nevada Resident Boxer award is former champ Cornelius Boza-Edwards, trainer and operator of the Mayweather Gym in Las Vegas.
A few weeks ago, Mayweather copped the Fighter of the Year award from ESPY, beating eight-division title holder Manny Pacquiao who could possibly fight Mayweather in the speculated dream match in May 2015.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu