Boxing News 2014: 570 U.S. Theatres to Show Mayweather-Maidana Rematch on Sept 13; Nevada Names Money May Fighter of the Year
By Vittorio Hernandez | August 8, 2014 8:28 AM EST
Boxing fans would be able to watch the rematch on Sept 13 between Floyd Mayweather Jr and Argentinean boxer Marcos Maidana in 570 theatres across the U.S., Mayweather Productions and Fathom Events said on Thursday.
Marcos Maidana (L) of Argentina takes a punch from FloydMayweather Jr. of the U.S. during their WBC/WBA welterweight unification fight at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada, May 3, 2014. REUTERS/Steve Marcus (UNITED STATES - Tags: SPORT BOXING)
The list of the 570 cinemas and ticket prices that vary by each venue are available at www.FathomEvents.com.
The rematch is the third to the last of the unbeaten American boxer's fight before he retires from the sport.
Mayweather said, quoted by ESPN, "I love that fans can go to the movie theatres to watch my fight. Our relationship with Fathom has been a good one this far, and it's only getting stronger. This is my first rematch in over a decade and I'm happy that we're going to give fans the opportunity to see it live on the big screen."
Besides the live match at MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada, the fight could be seen on Showtime pay-per-view at 8 pm instead of the usual 9 pm ET to ensure that East Coast residents don't have to wait after midnight to watch the bout.
Maidana, who sought the rematch after their first fight on May 3 which was not a unanimous decision, likewise said he is happy that the bout would be seen on the big screen "because when I hand Floyd his first loss, it should be larger than life."
Mayweather is scheduled to be given by the Nevada Boxing Hall of Fame the Fighter of the Year award on Saturday at the yearly induction event. It would be the second year that the recognition would be given to Money May.
To be given the Nevada Resident Boxer award is former champ Cornelius Boza-Edwards, trainer and operator of the Mayweather Gym in Las Vegas.
A few weeks ago, Mayweather copped the Fighter of the Year award from ESPY, beating eight-division title holder Manny Pacquiao who could possibly fight Mayweather in the speculated dream match in May 2015.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge Battery Life Test Shows Its Curved Display And Build Has Impacted Its Battery Performance