Sherlock Season 4 Update: One-Off Special Episode Shooting to Begin in January 2015, Speculated Story
By Anshu Shrivastava | August 7, 2014 9:21 PM EST
It was Martin Freeman who first dropped the hint that the producers of "Sherlock" are planning a one-off special episode. BBC and Stephen Moffat, co-writer of the show, later confirmed Freeman's hint.
"A special, plus a new series of three episodes -- it's a record-breaking run!" Moffat said in a statement. BBC One said on Twitter, "Miss me?" #Sherlock, the hit @BBCOne drama, will return for a Special, followed by a series of three new episodes."
The production of the one-off special episode, which is reportedly a Christmas special episode, is set to begin early 2015. BBC One shared on Twitter, "Shooting on the #Sherlock special will begin in January 2015, with the series shooting later next year."
There are speculations that the Christmas special episode is likely to be based on Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's short-story, "The Adventure Of The Blue Carbuncle." Den of Geek reported, "With its playful plot, lack of murder or violence, and frothy story of a hapless jewel theft, "The Adventure Of The Blue Carbuncle" essentially is a nineteenth century Christmas special." The writers and BBC have not yet revealed the story of the one-off special episode.
Meanwhile, there are also speculations that Tom Hiddleston might join the cast of "Sherlock" as the third Holmes brother. Mycroft had alluded to the third brother in "Sherlock" Season 3 finale. Hiddleston is reportedly the fans' favourite when it comes to choosing the actor who can portray the role of Sherlock and Mycroft's brother. "Tom would be wonderful in "Sherlock." But he only does movies now. What can I say? I'll ask him if you like," Mark Gatiss, who plays Mycroft and is the co-writer, teased during an interview in Brazil, as quoted by Mirror.
The production of the three episodes of "Sherlock" Season 4 is expected to begin later in 2015. There are reports that the new season production had to be pushed ahead because of Benedict Cumberbatch and Freeman's busy acting schedules. According to reports, the production on Season 4 was originally scheduled to begin in autumn 2014.
"It's taken a little while to get the dates sorted as none of the boys are exactly sitting back twiddling their thumbs but there was unanimous goodwill to make this work, so we're thrilled that 221b is going to be inhabited again," Sue Vertue, executive producer at Hartswood Films, said, as quoted by Indiewire.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Lawson’s Girlfriend Reportedly Entering the House Plus Sandra Gets Evicted [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- 'NCIS' Season 12, Episode 5 Spoilers: Gibbs' Gut OKs FBI Agent Leia Pendergast; A Favorite Guest Star Returns [Watch NCIS 12x5 Promo Video]
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier
- Galaxy Note 4: Best Big-Screen Phone, Says Samsung; Analysts Believe Note 4 Unlikely To Beat iPhone 6 Plus [Watch Video]