Serena Williams and Andre Agassi to Play at the IPTL Singapore Slammers Franchise
By Dana Alyssa Ramos | August 7, 2014 4:35 PM EST
The 17-time Grand Slam champion Serena Williams and the former world no. 1 Andre Agassi will turn up for their International Premier Tennis League (IPTL) franchise Singapore Slammers in December 2- 4.
Serena Williams of the U.S. pumps her fist during her women's singles tennis match against Anna Tatishvili of the U.S. at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships, in London June 24, 2014.
The IPTL is a new team tennis competition that features the best past and present ATP and WTA players across Manila, Singapore, Delhi and Dubai from November 28 to December 13.
The IPTL and team owners of the Singapore Slammers, the Singapore based IPTL announced that Serena Williams and Andre Agassi will be participating players in the event.
"After the WTA Tour finals, this will be the second major professional tennis event to grace the city in 2014 and we are proud to become a part of the world tennis calendar," said Greg Tan, Vice President of the Singapore Tennis Association at the official launch press conference of the Singapore Slammers.
"It is time for innovation in tennis. We hope the fanfare IPL has brought to cricket, the IPTL will bring for tennis," states Mahesh Bhupathi, founder of the IPTL and winner of 53 ATP Tour titles including 12 doubles and mixed doubles Grand Slams.
Coming off a victory at Standford, Serena Williams, the 17-time Grand Slam champion is competing at the Rogers Cup 2014 in Montreal and she recently dispatched Samantha Stosur in a match interrupted for 28 minutes due to rain. After the match, the world no. 1 surprised the crowd by doing a courtside interview in French and talked about her next opponent Lucie Sarafova.
Williams has won the Rogers Cup for three times in the past and she's hoping to bag the title once again this year.
Andre Agassi recently appeared at the Governor's Mansion in Carson City as a keynote speaker at the Governor's Dinner last July 19. The event wasn't political; rather it was a fundraiser for the UNR athletics department.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- Chelsea FC Injury Update: Diego Costa Fully Fit Ahead Of West Brom Clash, Says Mourinho
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced