Rihanna’s Sex Tape, Total Profile Viewers and More Viral Links: Bitdefender Warns Against Facebook Scams
By jaskiran kaur | August 7, 2014 3:58 PM EST
Do not click on the Facebook link to Rihanna's sex tape. The link going viral on social media Web site is nothing but a scam that could disrupt the operation of your devices. Besides Rihanna's sex tape, there are many other such links with appealing titles swirling around the internet that users need to beware of.
According to the Guardian, antivirus company Bitdefender has released a list of 10 most popular malware scams making rounds on Facebook in 2014. The report notes that the most popular Facebook scam is the one that promises viewers to tell them the number of visitors who viewed their profiles. The company has recognised 30.2 percent of such fraudulent links on the social networking website in the year of 2014.
The publication has published the list shared with it by Bitdefender. Based on the list, after the profile visitors link, the "change your Facebook color" scam is quite popular with 7.38 percent of such links identified. Rihanna's sex tape charts at number three with 4.76 percent of malicious Facebook links. It is followed by "check my status update to get free Facebook T-shirt," "say goodbye to Blue Facebook" and "unsealed. we are giving them away for free" links. Finding out who viewed profiles and changing Facebook themes are other popular Facebook scams.
The report notes that last year, a fake link to Taylor Swift's non-existent sex tape and winning a free Disneyland trip were some of the popular Facebook scams users fell victim to.
These links with appealing titles usually take the users to malicious websites that reportedly try to install viruses to the devices accessing the page.
"This is social engineering at its finest—a challenging mental game that pushes the right psychological buttons," Catalin Cosoi, chief security strategist at Bitdefender, told the Guardian.
"The baits have changed over time, with stalkers, peekers, admirers, overly attached girlfriends and exes haunting you, but the reason this scam works is simple: human nature," Cosoi added.
Bitdefender has reportedly designed an app that warns Facebook users against such threats.
According to a latest report, a new Facebook scam promised its user to hack anyone's account. But the users who fell for the trick ended up hacking their own accounts, reported Symantec.com. The report notes that this is not the first time such a scam has surfaced. Scammers fooled users with similar tricks in 2011. The scammers reportedly targeted users in India.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- ‘Minecraft PS Vita,’ PS4 And Xbox One Updates And More On The Microsoft Deal
- 'The Sims 4' Mods: Buff Emotion Changes, Pay Very Low Bills And Enable Advanced Debug For Cheats
- iPhone 6 Plus Sold Out Apple Store Crash Due to Pre-orders: Where to Place Your Orders and the Packages Offered in the US and UK
- ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire’ Confirmed With Demo, More Info Revealed
- Meet 3 New 'Pokemon Omega Ruby And Alpha Sapphire' Mega Evolutions And Legendary Rayquaza
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date