Rhonda Rousey Wants to Emulate The Rock, Dreams of Becoming World’s Highest Grossing Actor
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | August 7, 2014 1:45 PM EST
The Ultimate Fighting Championship's biggest star is hoping to translate her following to Hollywood box office draw.
Cast members Ronda Rousey (L) and Sylvester Stallone pose during a photocall on the Croisette to promote the film "The Expendables 3" during the 67th Cannes Film Festival in Cannes May 18, 2014.
The LA Times reports that Rhonda Rousey, UFC's unbeaten female bantamweight champion is looking at the path to stardom of former World Wrestling Entertainment champion Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson. In an interview with ESPN the Magazine which went on the stands this week, Rousey declared that there is no reason why she cannot become the highest grossing actor in the world.
"I want to be the highest-grossing actor in the world someday," Rousey told ESPN."I didn't grow up wanting to be an action star. I just didn't think it was in the cards. Now that it's a possibility, I'm like, ...'[I]f The Rock can become the world's highest-grossing actor, I can have that same goal."
Gina Carano has already parlayed her MMA career into movie roles appearing in vehicles such as Haywire, Fast and the Furious 6 and In the Blood, and Rousey is set to go on the same path. She is included in the latest ensemble cast from the Expendables franchise which will open August 15th, and will also have juicy roles in the next Fast and the Furious 7 and Entourage the movie.
While she clears that she has no plans of leaving behind the Octagon, the standout fighter also explained that it was never in her plans to become an action star. With the opening of new avenues in Hollywood, Rousey wants to make the same goals she usually does with her fight, come out on top.
Asked during the same interview who among the generational star she emulates the most, the bankable MMA draw named Harrison Ford.
"Harrison Ford, by far," Rousey said of being starstruck. "Nobody has affected me like Harrison. I was obsessed with 'Star Wars' as a kid. .... Han Solo was my guy, and 'Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom' was actually the first action movie I watched, so I was super-starstruck."
Rousey has holds an immaculate record of 10-0 in career fights and 4-0 in UFC title defenses is negotiating for a December return to the octagon. UFC President Dana White has long been salivating at the prospect of pitting her best ward against the former face of women's MMA - Gina Carano. That window has not yet opened as there has been difficulty in synchronizing the schedule of Carano given her movie career.
If that fight does not push through, fans of Rousey can still look forward to next year when reports say that the angelic faced fighter will be up against Holly Holm, a former professional kick boxer who just signed recently with the UFC.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- Female Boxer Dies In South Africa Following Knockout Blow
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2
- Canada’s Official ISIS Mission Starts On Weekend; Kuwait Uneasy