La Liga Transfer News: Germany’s Shkodran Mustafi to Valencia
By Justin Noel Cudaihl | August 7, 2014 1:15 PM EST
One of Germany’s top defenders, Shkodran Mustafi is headed to Valencia after signing a five-year deal with the Spanish club. The contract is reportedly from a range of €8 million to €9.5 million and the move will complete the transfer from Italian Seria A’s Sampdoria.
Members of Germany's 2014 Brazil World Cup squad appear on stage during celebrations to mark the team's 2014 Brazil World Cup victory, at a 'fan mile' public viewing zone in Berlin July 15, 2014. Germany's victorious soccer team led by coach Joachim Loew returned home on Tuesday after winning the 2014 Brazil World Cup. A triumphant Germany team landed in Berlin on Tuesday to a hero's welcome, greeted by hundreds of thousands of jubilant Germans waving flags and wearing the national colours, revelling in the nation's fourth World Cup victory on Sunday in Brazil.
Assuming he clears all the medical tests, which he is expected to pass without any complications, Mustafi will be introduced to the media as early as Thursday according to the team’s official website.
“Valencia CF [has] reached an agreement with UC Sampdoria for the transfer of German international center back, Shkodran Mustafi. The player, who signed his contract on Wednesday, becomes a Valencia player until June 30th, 2019. Mustafi, 22 years-old and a World Cup winner at Brazil 2014, will undergo a medical at 9:45am on Thursday at the Ciudad Deportiva courtesy of Divina Pastora. He will then pose for photos, before being presented to the media at the Paterna training facilities at 10am,” said the Valencia announcement.
Going back to his home country’s league was a possibility but the 22-year-old denied the advances of Bundesliga teams like Bayer Leverkusen, Borussia Dortmund and Schalke during the transfer season.
Mustafi played for Sampdoria for two years and before that was part of Everton from 2009 to 2012 although he did not see action for the latter squad during these years.
At Valencia, Mustafi is expected to help the squad improve from a dismal eighth place finish in the Spanish La Liga last season.
Other Germans who played in Valencia history are goalkeeper Timo Hildebrand (2007-2008) and defender Rainer Bonhof (1978–1980).
Mustafi played in just three games— against Portugal and Ghana in the group stages and versus Algeria in the Round of 16— in Germanys World Cup championship run in Brazil but it was enough to convince Valencia to pursue the transfer.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- NFL Week 3: Washington Redskins Vs. Philadelphia Eagles Live Streaming Information And Preview
- Boxing News 2014: Nevada Commission Summons Mayweather Over Reports Of Marijuana Use In Mansion & No Rest Breaks In Gym
- Manchester United Transfer News: Van Gaal Hits Back At Guardiola Claiming Every Player He Spoke To Wants Old Trafford Move
- Manchester United: Van Gaal Warns Stars That He Will Willingly Bench Them