La Liga Transfer News: Germany’s Shkodran Mustafi to Valencia
By Justin Noel Cudaihl | August 7, 2014 1:15 PM EST
One of Germany’s top defenders, Shkodran Mustafi is headed to Valencia after signing a five-year deal with the Spanish club. The contract is reportedly from a range of €8 million to €9.5 million and the move will complete the transfer from Italian Seria A’s Sampdoria.
Members of Germany's 2014 Brazil World Cup squad appear on stage during celebrations to mark the team's 2014 Brazil World Cup victory, at a 'fan mile' public viewing zone in Berlin July 15, 2014. Germany's victorious soccer team led by coach Joachim Loew returned home on Tuesday after winning the 2014 Brazil World Cup. A triumphant Germany team landed in Berlin on Tuesday to a hero's welcome, greeted by hundreds of thousands of jubilant Germans waving flags and wearing the national colours, revelling in the nation's fourth World Cup victory on Sunday in Brazil.
Assuming he clears all the medical tests, which he is expected to pass without any complications, Mustafi will be introduced to the media as early as Thursday according to the team’s official website.
“Valencia CF [has] reached an agreement with UC Sampdoria for the transfer of German international center back, Shkodran Mustafi. The player, who signed his contract on Wednesday, becomes a Valencia player until June 30th, 2019. Mustafi, 22 years-old and a World Cup winner at Brazil 2014, will undergo a medical at 9:45am on Thursday at the Ciudad Deportiva courtesy of Divina Pastora. He will then pose for photos, before being presented to the media at the Paterna training facilities at 10am,” said the Valencia announcement.
Going back to his home country’s league was a possibility but the 22-year-old denied the advances of Bundesliga teams like Bayer Leverkusen, Borussia Dortmund and Schalke during the transfer season.
Mustafi played for Sampdoria for two years and before that was part of Everton from 2009 to 2012 although he did not see action for the latter squad during these years.
At Valencia, Mustafi is expected to help the squad improve from a dismal eighth place finish in the Spanish La Liga last season.
Other Germans who played in Valencia history are goalkeeper Timo Hildebrand (2007-2008) and defender Rainer Bonhof (1978–1980).
Mustafi played in just three games— against Portugal and Ghana in the group stages and versus Algeria in the Round of 16— in Germanys World Cup championship run in Brazil but it was enough to convince Valencia to pursue the transfer.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories