Suspect in Michael Schumacher’s Medical Records Theft Case Found Hanged in Cell
By Justin Noel Cudaihl | August 7, 2014 12:28 PM EST
On Tuesday, an unnamed suspect was arrested in connection with the Michael Schumacher medical records theft case. The day after, the same man was found hanged in his prison cell to temporarily halt the theft investigation.
Ferrari Formula One driver Michael Schumacher of Germany celebrates after taking the pole position at the end of the qualifying session for the Bahrain Formula One Grand Prix at the Sakhir racetrack in Manama in this March 11, 2006 file picture.
The Swiss prosecutors opened the investigation in what was a “suspected violation of professional secrecy” after Schumacher’s family, along with the Rega air ambulance company from Switzerland, filed criminal complaints against the unnamed suspect, who was a manager at the Swiss air ambulance service.
Initial investigation has stated that no one else is involved in the death of the suspect.
“This tragic event makes us sad and speechless," said Rega Chief Executive Ernst Kohler.
The air ambulance company was tapped to transfer the seven-time Formula One champion from a hospital in France to Switzerland last June. Later on there were reports that medical records were stolen during the transfer and these were eventually being offered for sale to some news media outlet.
In early July 2014, a French newspaper “Le Dauphine Libere” stated that the stolen documents were being offered to the media outlets for around 60,000 Swiss francs.
Considered as one of the best ever in F1 racing, Schumacher holds the record for most F1 championship titles with seven (1994, 1995, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003 and 2004). The five consecutive wins from 2000 to 2005 is also an F1 record.
The 45-year-old Schumacher suffered severe head injuries in a skiing accident in late December 2013 in the French Alps.
Schumacher is still under treatment at a Switzerland hospital and has gained consciousness in June. His condition is improving but doctors have stated the full recovery may be out of reach and extended rehabilitation will continue.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- WWE Night of Champions Live Streaming Info, Preview and Predictions
- Boxing News 2014: Nevada Commission Summons Mayweather Over Reports Of Marijuana Use In Mansion & No Rest Breaks In Gym
- NFL Week 3: Washington Redskins Vs. Philadelphia Eagles Live Streaming Information And Preview
- Khloe Kardashian Reportedly Having A Hard Time Deciding Whether Or Not To Patch Things Up With Lamar Odom
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert
- China Is Also Seizing Disputed Land Along Indian Border