Suspect in Michael Schumacher’s Medical Records Theft Case Found Hanged in Cell
By Justin Noel Cudaihl | August 7, 2014 12:28 PM EST
On Tuesday, an unnamed suspect was arrested in connection with the Michael Schumacher medical records theft case. The day after, the same man was found hanged in his prison cell to temporarily halt the theft investigation.
Ferrari Formula One driver Michael Schumacher of Germany celebrates after taking the pole position at the end of the qualifying session for the Bahrain Formula One Grand Prix at the Sakhir racetrack in Manama in this March 11, 2006 file picture.
The Swiss prosecutors opened the investigation in what was a “suspected violation of professional secrecy” after Schumacher’s family, along with the Rega air ambulance company from Switzerland, filed criminal complaints against the unnamed suspect, who was a manager at the Swiss air ambulance service.
Initial investigation has stated that no one else is involved in the death of the suspect.
“This tragic event makes us sad and speechless," said Rega Chief Executive Ernst Kohler.
The air ambulance company was tapped to transfer the seven-time Formula One champion from a hospital in France to Switzerland last June. Later on there were reports that medical records were stolen during the transfer and these were eventually being offered for sale to some news media outlet.
In early July 2014, a French newspaper “Le Dauphine Libere” stated that the stolen documents were being offered to the media outlets for around 60,000 Swiss francs.
Considered as one of the best ever in F1 racing, Schumacher holds the record for most F1 championship titles with seven (1994, 1995, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003 and 2004). The five consecutive wins from 2000 to 2005 is also an F1 record.
The 45-year-old Schumacher suffered severe head injuries in a skiing accident in late December 2013 in the French Alps.
Schumacher is still under treatment at a Switzerland hospital and has gained consciousness in June. His condition is improving but doctors have stated the full recovery may be out of reach and extended rehabilitation will continue.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Freddie Roach Provoking ‘Washed-Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr., Says Manny Pacquiao Will KO Undefeated American
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- 2014 Dancing With The Stars Australia: Former AFL Star David Rodan Declared Winner
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys