Liverpool FC Transfer News: Reds Confirm Signing of Defender Victor Manquillo from Atletico Madrid
By Mark Wayne Eubank | August 7, 2014 12:19 PM EST
Liverpool have confirmed the signing of Atletico Madrid defender Victor Manquillo on the club's official website.
"Liverpool FC have today completed the loan signing of Spanish youth international Javier Manquillo from La Liga champions Atletico Madrid," a report on Liverpoolfc.com read.
Brad Penner-USA TODAY Sports
Liverpool FC manager Brendan Rodgers reacts during the second half of a game against Manchester City FC at Yankee Stadium.
The 20-year-old, who has represented Spain's youth ranks since he was 17, doesn't have much to boast in terms of experience in the senior ranks, as he only made a total of six appearances in the La Liga since 2011.
Nevertheless, the natural right-back, who is regarded as a very promising player and could be the next big thing in his position, is versatile enough to be deployed on the left side of the pitch as he did with the Rojiblancos.
"I'm very happy to have signed for a club like Liverpool. I think it's one of the biggest in Europe. Any footballer would want to come and play here," said Manquillo.
"When they tell you Liverpool want to sign you, I think like any player, you are going to be absolutely amazed and you don't think of anything else than going straight there."
"It's a team that nowadays, as I said before, any player would want to be a part of."
The Madrid native is expected to be fielded-in should the first-choice defense man on the left - Jose Enrique - who is rather prone to injuries, suffer another setback in the upcoming season.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match