More Aussies are Braving the Waves of Madagascar
By Athena Yenko | August 7, 2014 12:18 PM EST
More Australians are braving the challenging waves of the island nation in the Indian Ocean - Madagascar - as it becomes the 86th member of the International Surfing Association.
Surfers are yet to explore the more than 4800km of Madagascar's coastline as traveling around requires an island guide and charter boat.
With its isolated and exotic setting, the island fits the more adventurous and daring of backpackers as accommodations were very basic and located along the shore.
Blair Rogers of New Zealand, a surfing tour operator in Madagascar, said that Madagascar is world class for its "perfect, uncrowded" beaches compared to top surfing destinations across the world.
Brice Jacobson Andrianirina, a water sports official in Madagascar, said that the community is thankful and happy as surfing drives the influx of visitors, boosting their economy.
For those who want to brave the island, the Australian government advises to exercise a high degree of caution when traveling Madagascar.
Security remains unpredictable and high level of reported crimes exists. There were armed robberies and violence particularly in and around Antananarivo, the rural and isolated areas, the government warns.
"We now advise Australians not to travel to Batterie Beach, north of Tuléar, due to the risk of violence," the government said.
For those who still want to pursue with traveling, it is highly advisable to pay close attention to his or her personal security and monitor what the local media is reporting.
Madagascar had just elected its new president in 2014, a new government is formed, hence political tensions are still present and security situation could worsen without warning, according to the government.
According to various reports, two Europeans and a locale of the island were killed by an angry mob in October. The mob suspected that the trio were conducting organ trafficking.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast