More Aussies are Braving the Waves of Madagascar
By Athena Yenko | August 7, 2014 12:18 PM EST
More Australians are braving the challenging waves of the island nation in the Indian Ocean - Madagascar - as it becomes the 86th member of the International Surfing Association.
Surfers are yet to explore the more than 4800km of Madagascar's coastline as traveling around requires an island guide and charter boat.
With its isolated and exotic setting, the island fits the more adventurous and daring of backpackers as accommodations were very basic and located along the shore.
Blair Rogers of New Zealand, a surfing tour operator in Madagascar, said that Madagascar is world class for its "perfect, uncrowded" beaches compared to top surfing destinations across the world.
Brice Jacobson Andrianirina, a water sports official in Madagascar, said that the community is thankful and happy as surfing drives the influx of visitors, boosting their economy.
For those who want to brave the island, the Australian government advises to exercise a high degree of caution when traveling Madagascar.
Security remains unpredictable and high level of reported crimes exists. There were armed robberies and violence particularly in and around Antananarivo, the rural and isolated areas, the government warns.
"We now advise Australians not to travel to Batterie Beach, north of Tuléar, due to the risk of violence," the government said.
For those who still want to pursue with traveling, it is highly advisable to pay close attention to his or her personal security and monitor what the local media is reporting.
Madagascar had just elected its new president in 2014, a new government is formed, hence political tensions are still present and security situation could worsen without warning, according to the government.
According to various reports, two Europeans and a locale of the island were killed by an angry mob in October. The mob suspected that the trio were conducting organ trafficking.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions