More Aussies are Braving the Waves of Madagascar
By Athena Yenko | August 7, 2014 12:18 PM EST
More Australians are braving the challenging waves of the island nation in the Indian Ocean - Madagascar - as it becomes the 86th member of the International Surfing Association.
Surfers are yet to explore the more than 4800km of Madagascar's coastline as traveling around requires an island guide and charter boat.
With its isolated and exotic setting, the island fits the more adventurous and daring of backpackers as accommodations were very basic and located along the shore.
Blair Rogers of New Zealand, a surfing tour operator in Madagascar, said that Madagascar is world class for its "perfect, uncrowded" beaches compared to top surfing destinations across the world.
Brice Jacobson Andrianirina, a water sports official in Madagascar, said that the community is thankful and happy as surfing drives the influx of visitors, boosting their economy.
For those who want to brave the island, the Australian government advises to exercise a high degree of caution when traveling Madagascar.
Security remains unpredictable and high level of reported crimes exists. There were armed robberies and violence particularly in and around Antananarivo, the rural and isolated areas, the government warns.
"We now advise Australians not to travel to Batterie Beach, north of Tuléar, due to the risk of violence," the government said.
For those who still want to pursue with traveling, it is highly advisable to pay close attention to his or her personal security and monitor what the local media is reporting.
Madagascar had just elected its new president in 2014, a new government is formed, hence political tensions are still present and security situation could worsen without warning, according to the government.
According to various reports, two Europeans and a locale of the island were killed by an angry mob in October. The mob suspected that the trio were conducting organ trafficking.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Camilla Parker-Bowles To Become Queen When Prince Charles Accedes To The Throne
Join the Conversation
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage