Australia People Power: Rail Commuters Join Forces, Tilt Train to Release Man’s Trapped Leg (FULL VIDEO)
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | August 7, 2014 12:15 PM EST
It was one of Australia's finest display of people power ever. Commuters aboard a Perth-bound train, majority surely strangers than friends, all went out of their way, literally, by going out of the train just to collectively tilt it so as to release a man's trapped leg.
Passengers crowd together to board a commuter train during a strike by French SNCF railway workers at the Gare du Nord station in Paris
The unidentified male passenger was boarding about 8:50 am when he slipped and his leg wedged in the gap between the platform and the train on Wednesday morning, closed-circuit footage released by the Western Australia State Public Transport Authority showed. He couldn't move his leg and eventually got stuck there.
The man who was to board the train after the stricken passenger immediately alerted a security personnel rounding up the platform. The latter signaled to the train driver not to run.
Concerned passengers rounded up the man and the security personnel trying to help release the man's leg. But it was seriously stuck.
David Hynes, Transperth spokesman, said one of the staff suggested an idea.
"Then our staff who were there at the time got the passengers, and there were lots of them, off the train, and organised them to sort of rock, tilt the train backwards away from the platform so they were able to get him out and rescue him."
When the man finally freed his leg, applause ensued. And a collective sigh of relief.
"It's really heartwarming I think, to find an incident like this where everyone pitched in," Hynes said.
The man and his leg sustained no injuries.
Watch the full video below.
YouTube/ PTA WA
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Billionaire Money Habits: 5 Financial Habits Practiced By The World's Richest People
- This Is The Lammily Doll With Freckles And Acne That Make It More Attractive Than Barbie
- Australia Ranks 11th In World Ultra Wealth Report As 175 Aussies Amass $440B In 2013
- Apple Inc (AAPL) Stock May Reach $150; First Trillion Company Talks, iPhone 6 and Apple Watch Boost Price
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- Best Black Friday 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More