Australia People Power: Rail Commuters Join Forces, Tilt Train to Release Man’s Trapped Leg (FULL VIDEO)
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | August 7, 2014 12:15 PM EST
It was one of Australia's finest display of people power ever. Commuters aboard a Perth-bound train, majority surely strangers than friends, all went out of their way, literally, by going out of the train just to collectively tilt it so as to release a man's trapped leg.
Passengers crowd together to board a commuter train during a strike by French SNCF railway workers at the Gare du Nord station in Paris
The unidentified male passenger was boarding about 8:50 am when he slipped and his leg wedged in the gap between the platform and the train on Wednesday morning, closed-circuit footage released by the Western Australia State Public Transport Authority showed. He couldn't move his leg and eventually got stuck there.
The man who was to board the train after the stricken passenger immediately alerted a security personnel rounding up the platform. The latter signaled to the train driver not to run.
Concerned passengers rounded up the man and the security personnel trying to help release the man's leg. But it was seriously stuck.
David Hynes, Transperth spokesman, said one of the staff suggested an idea.
"Then our staff who were there at the time got the passengers, and there were lots of them, off the train, and organised them to sort of rock, tilt the train backwards away from the platform so they were able to get him out and rescue him."
When the man finally freed his leg, applause ensued. And a collective sigh of relief.
"It's really heartwarming I think, to find an incident like this where everyone pitched in," Hynes said.
The man and his leg sustained no injuries.
Watch the full video below.
YouTube/ PTA WA
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Russia Warns Citizens – Take Selfies, Have Lice
- The Cost Of Getting Infected With Ebola
- Ebola Divides The US: More States Begin Applying Stricter Guidelines Than What CDC Imposed
- Canadian House Owners Preferring To Live In Core City Than In Suburbs: Study
- FIFA May Keep Russia and Ukraine Apart in World Cup 2018
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family