Liverpool’s Brendan Rodgers Plays Mind Games With New Manchester United Mentor Louis Van Gaal
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | August 7, 2014 11:44 AM EST
Liverpool Manager Brendan Rodgers went straight to the point in delivering the first tactic to the rivalry between his club and Manchester United when he commented that it would be extremely unlikely for new Red Devils mentor to win the title in his maiden season.
New Manchester United manager Louis Van Gaal (L) poses for pictures with club director Bobby Charlton during a news conference at the club's Old Trafford Stadium in Manchester, northern England, July 17, 2014.
This comes after Van Gaal's wards drew initial blood in the rivalry with United's win behind Michael Rooney's inspired second half comeback 3-1 victory to capture the Guinness International Champions Cup on Monday evening. Rodgers insist that Van Gaal will see first-hand the level of competition in the English Premier League and will be hard pressed to replicate the success he achieved with Barcelona and Bayern Munich.
"I think what he'll find is the competition in this league will be different from any other league that he's worked in," said Rodgers per the Guardian.com, "In a lot of the other leagues there are one or two teams and those are the teams that are expected to win. "This is a league where the top team plays the bottom team and on any given day you can lose. You don't get that a lot in the other leagues. I think the competition will probably take him by surprise and that's from foreign managers I have spoken to over the years."
History is beside Van Gaal as he was able to capture trophies during his initial year in Spain and Germany but the recent transfer transactions of Arsenal, defending champions Manchester City and Chelsea as well as the established Liverpool, the level of competition is tough and varied. Rodgers believe that there are five to six heavily favored squads who will tussle it out for the cup and that Van Gaal will be immediately put to the fire to deliver.
Rodgers is also wary of the mindset of Manchester United owners to deliver immediate success instead of building the team from the ground up. The manager contends that the Glazer family reneged on their promise to erstwhile coach David Moyes to establish long term stability instead of instant championships.
Nevertheless, just five games into his lead as manager, Van Gaal has upped the confidence of his players after inheriting a team that lacked the bravado under the Moyes regime. The Dutchman's track record is gaining the respect of his players and his personality of tenacity and championship caliber is rubbing off the performance of the roster.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- WWE Night of Champions Live Streaming Info, Preview and Predictions
- Boxing News 2014: Nevada Commission Summons Mayweather Over Reports Of Marijuana Use In Mansion & No Rest Breaks In Gym
- NFL Week 3: Washington Redskins Vs. Philadelphia Eagles Live Streaming Information And Preview
- Khloe Kardashian Reportedly Having A Hard Time Deciding Whether Or Not To Patch Things Up With Lamar Odom
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert
- China Is Also Seizing Disputed Land Along Indian Border