PGA News: Caddy Quits on Golfer, Tin Cup Style
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | August 7, 2014 11:38 AM EST
Making the rounds of cable television today is this feel good golf story Tin Cup starring Kevin Costner and Rene Russo. Costner is a golf prodigy who spends his day laissez fairly. Well as most romantic comedies go, Costner who is nicknamed Tin Cup here meets a lady who helps his mental facets of the game and eventually he makes a name for himself in the US Open.
A scene stands out in the film when Tin Cup's stubbornness is in full display. You see, he does not make any safe plays and will always go for the green no matter what - the weather or the history of the course; he will take the long shot. In this particular scene, Tin Cup argues profusely with his caddy on what club to use. With his temper getting the better of him, Tin Cup breaks into pieces all of his clubs except the 7-iron. Long story short, his caddy quits on him and he still finishes the course and qualifies for the US Open.
This was amusing in the movie, and infinitely comical that it happened in real life, in a PGA Tour, no less.
The club breaking did not occur but yes, a caddy walked out on his golfer and guess what, a lady in a dress and flip flops took his place.
Golf Digest reports that last Saturday at the PGA's Tour Barracuda Championship, Brian Stuard and his caddy of three years, Michael Lawson were arguing for several holes before Lawson dropped the bag and left the course. This was in full view of the public and transpired during the mid-rounds no less (12th hole). Luckily, a woman in a dress and matching flip flops stepped up grabbed the bag and caddied for Stuard for the final six holes as reported in this tweet:
On the final day, Chad Munoz, an assistant at the Montreux Golf and Country Club was the replacement caddy. The conflict between Stuard and his caddy comes as a surprise as the golfer earlier expressed his comfort level with his three year trusted companion.
"He knows my game really well, and we have a nice working relationship. He knows what to say and what not to say. It's been really good, and I enjoy having him on my bag," Stuard told Jackson Citizen Patriot writer Josh Olson earlier this year.
Stuard also qualified for the PGA Championship field, though it is still unclear if Lawson will come back and they will kiss and make up. After all, Tin Cup's caddy in the movie, played by a Mexican guy returned with beer and some songs and they just sang to ease their conflicts.
We can only hope that life imitates art to the full extent this time.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Minnesota Timberwolves 2015-2015 NBA Preview: Wiggins-Rubio Era In Minneapolis Begins
- Dallas Mavericks 2015-2015 NBA Preview: Nowitzki, Ellis Has New Shooting Partner In Parsons
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity
- Fappening: Lindsay Clubine, Wife Of Boston Red Sox Pitcher Clay Buchholz, & George Sampson Of Britain’s Got Talent, Are The Latest Victims Of Celebrity Nude Leaks
- U.S. Missile Shield In Europe Opens In Romania: Russia's Reservations Ignored