Rory McIlroy and Caroline Wozniacki: Calling Off Their Engagement Maybe the Best Decision For Both Athletes
By Rachelle Corpuz | August 7, 2014 10:05 AM EST
Rory McIlroy and Caroline Wozniacki used to love each other very much to the point that the duo had thoughts of walking down the aisle and starting a new life as a married couple. They welcomed 2014 with an engagement, but McIlroy called it off a few months later and it may well be a good decision for both athletes.
File photo of McIlroy of Northern Ireland and his girlfriend, tennis player Wozniacki of Denmark, during the annual Masters Par 3 Contest in Augusta
ABC News' Rheana Murray wrote that there is a "silver lining" with McIlroy and Wozniacki's breakup. They may have called off their wedding but they have gained some wins following their split. A few days after McIlroy publicly announced their separation, the Northern Irish golfer won the BMW PGA Championship in England. It was the very same tournament where he snarled the 96th place in 2013. McIlroy also won the British Open Championship in July and notched yet another victory at the WGC-Bridgestone Invitational.
Wozniacki, on the other hand, isn't also prolonging her misery. She has also been doing fine post breakup. She won the Istanbul title in the same week that her ex-fiancé won the British Open.
Even ESPN golf analyst Dottie Pepper thought a failed relationship isn't really a bad thing for both athletes because "they played well after moving on their separate ways." The famous silver lining, there is truly one for every dark cloud. The entire miserable situation for McIlroy and Wozniacki may not be really miserable after all.
In May, McIlroy announced their separation. Reportedly, he ended their engagement in a three-minute phone call. Since then, McIlroy has been rumoured to be seeing other women. Latest news reports suggest that he is seeing Sasha Gale, a 23-year-old part-time model and receptionist from Lisburn in County Antrim.
Wozniacki is also making the most of her time single by doing a lot of activities. She has been going out and having fun as seen on her posts on social media as if she has not been really wickedly busy enough with her sports career. She is currently competing in the 2014 Rogers Cup in Montreal. She has advanced in the second round of the tournament after beating Daniela Hantuchova. She will face Czech tennis player Klara Koukalova in the second round on Aug. 7.
MORE ARTICLES TO READ:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Serena Williams Swagger Back After US Open - Mark Hodgkinson
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Manny Pacquiao Is The Greatest Fighter That Ever Lived Declares Magician David Blaine
- Evander Holyfield Says That He Didn’t Make Comments About Floyd Mayweather Fighting With Manny Pacquiao
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best