Rory McIlroy and Caroline Wozniacki: Calling Off Their Engagement Maybe the Best Decision For Both Athletes
By Rachelle Corpuz | August 7, 2014 10:05 AM EST
Rory McIlroy and Caroline Wozniacki used to love each other very much to the point that the duo had thoughts of walking down the aisle and starting a new life as a married couple. They welcomed 2014 with an engagement, but McIlroy called it off a few months later and it may well be a good decision for both athletes.
File photo of McIlroy of Northern Ireland and his girlfriend, tennis player Wozniacki of Denmark, during the annual Masters Par 3 Contest in Augusta
ABC News' Rheana Murray wrote that there is a "silver lining" with McIlroy and Wozniacki's breakup. They may have called off their wedding but they have gained some wins following their split. A few days after McIlroy publicly announced their separation, the Northern Irish golfer won the BMW PGA Championship in England. It was the very same tournament where he snarled the 96th place in 2013. McIlroy also won the British Open Championship in July and notched yet another victory at the WGC-Bridgestone Invitational.
Wozniacki, on the other hand, isn't also prolonging her misery. She has also been doing fine post breakup. She won the Istanbul title in the same week that her ex-fiancé won the British Open.
Even ESPN golf analyst Dottie Pepper thought a failed relationship isn't really a bad thing for both athletes because "they played well after moving on their separate ways." The famous silver lining, there is truly one for every dark cloud. The entire miserable situation for McIlroy and Wozniacki may not be really miserable after all.
In May, McIlroy announced their separation. Reportedly, he ended their engagement in a three-minute phone call. Since then, McIlroy has been rumoured to be seeing other women. Latest news reports suggest that he is seeing Sasha Gale, a 23-year-old part-time model and receptionist from Lisburn in County Antrim.
Wozniacki is also making the most of her time single by doing a lot of activities. She has been going out and having fun as seen on her posts on social media as if she has not been really wickedly busy enough with her sports career. She is currently competing in the 2014 Rogers Cup in Montreal. She has advanced in the second round of the tournament after beating Daniela Hantuchova. She will face Czech tennis player Klara Koukalova in the second round on Aug. 7.
MORE ARTICLES TO READ:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Minnesota Timberwolves 2015-2015 NBA Preview: Wiggins-Rubio Era In Minneapolis Begins
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity
- Fappening: Lindsay Clubine, Wife Of Boston Red Sox Pitcher Clay Buchholz, & George Sampson Of Britain’s Got Talent, Are The Latest Victims Of Celebrity Nude Leaks