Rory McIlroy and Caroline Wozniacki: Calling Off Their Engagement Maybe the Best Decision For Both Athletes
By Rachelle Corpuz | August 7, 2014 10:05 AM EST
Rory McIlroy and Caroline Wozniacki used to love each other very much to the point that the duo had thoughts of walking down the aisle and starting a new life as a married couple. They welcomed 2014 with an engagement, but McIlroy called it off a few months later and it may well be a good decision for both athletes.
File photo of McIlroy of Northern Ireland and his girlfriend, tennis player Wozniacki of Denmark, during the annual Masters Par 3 Contest in Augusta
ABC News' Rheana Murray wrote that there is a "silver lining" with McIlroy and Wozniacki's breakup. They may have called off their wedding but they have gained some wins following their split. A few days after McIlroy publicly announced their separation, the Northern Irish golfer won the BMW PGA Championship in England. It was the very same tournament where he snarled the 96th place in 2013. McIlroy also won the British Open Championship in July and notched yet another victory at the WGC-Bridgestone Invitational.
Wozniacki, on the other hand, isn't also prolonging her misery. She has also been doing fine post breakup. She won the Istanbul title in the same week that her ex-fiancé won the British Open.
Even ESPN golf analyst Dottie Pepper thought a failed relationship isn't really a bad thing for both athletes because "they played well after moving on their separate ways." The famous silver lining, there is truly one for every dark cloud. The entire miserable situation for McIlroy and Wozniacki may not be really miserable after all.
In May, McIlroy announced their separation. Reportedly, he ended their engagement in a three-minute phone call. Since then, McIlroy has been rumoured to be seeing other women. Latest news reports suggest that he is seeing Sasha Gale, a 23-year-old part-time model and receptionist from Lisburn in County Antrim.
Wozniacki is also making the most of her time single by doing a lot of activities. She has been going out and having fun as seen on her posts on social media as if she has not been really wickedly busy enough with her sports career. She is currently competing in the 2014 Rogers Cup in Montreal. She has advanced in the second round of the tournament after beating Daniela Hantuchova. She will face Czech tennis player Klara Koukalova in the second round on Aug. 7.
MORE ARTICLES TO READ:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Rafael Nadal Back In Action To Target Novak Djokovic At China Open
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate