Rafael Nadal Looking Good in Practice, Doctors Positive for Spaniard's Recovery for US Open 2014
By James Patrick Quizon | August 7, 2014 9:21 AM EST
Rafael Nadal’s wrist injury might just heal in time for the 2014 US Open according to the Spanish Royal Tennis Federation and doctors said that the recovery was on track. The Grand Slam in Flushing Meadows, New York is scheduled from August 24 to September 8, 2014.
Rafael Nadal of Spain hits a return during his men's singles tennis match against Nick Kyrgios of Australia at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships, in London July 1, 2014.
The good news came after Nadal’s check-up at the Mapfre Tennis Medicine Clinic in Barcelona, Spain on Wednesday (AEDT) by his personal doctor, Dr. Angel Ruiz-Cotorro and clinic doctors, Dr. Jaume Vilaro and Dr. Ramon Balius.
Currently ranked no. 2 in the world behind Serbian Novak Djokovic, Nadal suffered the injury on his wrist in practice on July 30, 2014 and was forced to pull-out in a couple of tournaments leading up to the tennis major at the Big Apple. The 28-year-old Spaniard will lose precious ATP ranking points after failing to defend the titles in Toronto (Rogers Cup) and Cincinnati (Western & Southern Open).
In the possibility that Nadal also misses out the US Open, where he is again the defending champion, he could lose the no. 2 spot to rival Roger Federer if the Swiss has a very successful campaign in the three consecutive tournaments in August and September.
Aside from the doctors’ positive news, Nadal himself was also optimistic during his training sessions on Wednesday and shared it on social media Twitter:
Buena sesión de entreno hoy! Aquí os dejo un vídeo: Good training session today! Here’s a video:... http://t.co/2YDP9QY9hv
— Rafa Nadal (@RafaelNadal) August 6, 2014
Can Nadal recover in time for the Grand Slam in New York? The Spaniard is motivated to be healthy as he’s aiming for his third US Open title and the 15th Grand Slam title overall in his career.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- Rafael Nadal To Kick Off 2015 Season At The Mubadala World Tennis Championship, Undergoes Knee Treatment Prior Appendectomy
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2