Rafael Nadal Looking Good in Practice, Doctors Positive for Spaniard's Recovery for US Open 2014
By James Patrick Quizon | August 7, 2014 9:21 AM EST
Rafael Nadal’s wrist injury might just heal in time for the 2014 US Open according to the Spanish Royal Tennis Federation and doctors said that the recovery was on track. The Grand Slam in Flushing Meadows, New York is scheduled from August 24 to September 8, 2014.
Rafael Nadal of Spain hits a return during his men's singles tennis match against Nick Kyrgios of Australia at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships, in London July 1, 2014.
The good news came after Nadal’s check-up at the Mapfre Tennis Medicine Clinic in Barcelona, Spain on Wednesday (AEDT) by his personal doctor, Dr. Angel Ruiz-Cotorro and clinic doctors, Dr. Jaume Vilaro and Dr. Ramon Balius.
Currently ranked no. 2 in the world behind Serbian Novak Djokovic, Nadal suffered the injury on his wrist in practice on July 30, 2014 and was forced to pull-out in a couple of tournaments leading up to the tennis major at the Big Apple. The 28-year-old Spaniard will lose precious ATP ranking points after failing to defend the titles in Toronto (Rogers Cup) and Cincinnati (Western & Southern Open).
In the possibility that Nadal also misses out the US Open, where he is again the defending champion, he could lose the no. 2 spot to rival Roger Federer if the Swiss has a very successful campaign in the three consecutive tournaments in August and September.
Aside from the doctors’ positive news, Nadal himself was also optimistic during his training sessions on Wednesday and shared it on social media Twitter:
Buena sesión de entreno hoy! Aquí os dejo un vídeo: Good training session today! Here’s a video:... http://t.co/2YDP9QY9hv
— Rafa Nadal (@RafaelNadal) August 6, 2014
Can Nadal recover in time for the Grand Slam in New York? The Spaniard is motivated to be healthy as he’s aiming for his third US Open title and the 15th Grand Slam title overall in his career.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Toni Nadal Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop