Rafael Nadal Looking Good in Practice, Doctors Positive for Spaniard's Recovery for US Open 2014
By James Patrick Quizon | August 7, 2014 9:21 AM EST
Rafael Nadal’s wrist injury might just heal in time for the 2014 US Open according to the Spanish Royal Tennis Federation and doctors said that the recovery was on track. The Grand Slam in Flushing Meadows, New York is scheduled from August 24 to September 8, 2014.
Rafael Nadal of Spain hits a return during his men's singles tennis match against Nick Kyrgios of Australia at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships, in London July 1, 2014.
The good news came after Nadal’s check-up at the Mapfre Tennis Medicine Clinic in Barcelona, Spain on Wednesday (AEDT) by his personal doctor, Dr. Angel Ruiz-Cotorro and clinic doctors, Dr. Jaume Vilaro and Dr. Ramon Balius.
Currently ranked no. 2 in the world behind Serbian Novak Djokovic, Nadal suffered the injury on his wrist in practice on July 30, 2014 and was forced to pull-out in a couple of tournaments leading up to the tennis major at the Big Apple. The 28-year-old Spaniard will lose precious ATP ranking points after failing to defend the titles in Toronto (Rogers Cup) and Cincinnati (Western & Southern Open).
In the possibility that Nadal also misses out the US Open, where he is again the defending champion, he could lose the no. 2 spot to rival Roger Federer if the Swiss has a very successful campaign in the three consecutive tournaments in August and September.
Aside from the doctors’ positive news, Nadal himself was also optimistic during his training sessions on Wednesday and shared it on social media Twitter:
Buena sesión de entreno hoy! Aquí os dejo un vídeo: Good training session today! Here’s a video:... http://t.co/2YDP9QY9hv
— Rafa Nadal (@RafaelNadal) August 6, 2014
Can Nadal recover in time for the Grand Slam in New York? The Spaniard is motivated to be healthy as he’s aiming for his third US Open title and the 15th Grand Slam title overall in his career.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- Chris Algieri Exposed, Criticised For Lack Of Desire To Win Against Manny Pacquiao
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan