Rafael Nadal Looking Good in Practice, Doctors Positive for Spaniard's Recovery for US Open 2014
By James Patrick Quizon | August 7, 2014 9:21 AM EST
Rafael Nadal’s wrist injury might just heal in time for the 2014 US Open according to the Spanish Royal Tennis Federation and doctors said that the recovery was on track. The Grand Slam in Flushing Meadows, New York is scheduled from August 24 to September 8, 2014.
Rafael Nadal of Spain hits a return during his men's singles tennis match against Nick Kyrgios of Australia at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships, in London July 1, 2014.
The good news came after Nadal’s check-up at the Mapfre Tennis Medicine Clinic in Barcelona, Spain on Wednesday (AEDT) by his personal doctor, Dr. Angel Ruiz-Cotorro and clinic doctors, Dr. Jaume Vilaro and Dr. Ramon Balius.
Currently ranked no. 2 in the world behind Serbian Novak Djokovic, Nadal suffered the injury on his wrist in practice on July 30, 2014 and was forced to pull-out in a couple of tournaments leading up to the tennis major at the Big Apple. The 28-year-old Spaniard will lose precious ATP ranking points after failing to defend the titles in Toronto (Rogers Cup) and Cincinnati (Western & Southern Open).
In the possibility that Nadal also misses out the US Open, where he is again the defending champion, he could lose the no. 2 spot to rival Roger Federer if the Swiss has a very successful campaign in the three consecutive tournaments in August and September.
Aside from the doctors’ positive news, Nadal himself was also optimistic during his training sessions on Wednesday and shared it on social media Twitter:
Buena sesión de entreno hoy! Aquí os dejo un vídeo: Good training session today! Here’s a video:... http://t.co/2YDP9QY9hv
— Rafa Nadal (@RafaelNadal) August 6, 2014
Can Nadal recover in time for the Grand Slam in New York? The Spaniard is motivated to be healthy as he’s aiming for his third US Open title and the 15th Grand Slam title overall in his career.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal Back In Action To Target Novak Djokovic At China Open
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Green Bay Packers Vs. Chicago Bears Live Streaming Info And Preview
- Grigor Dimitrov Turns To Novak Djokovic For Love Advice; Dimitrov and Sharapova At The 2014 China Open
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate