Boxing News 2014: Mayweather & Pacquiao Only Boxers in Sports Illustrated’s List of 50 Fittest Athletes
By Vittorio Hernandez | August 7, 2014 9:21 AM EST
There are only two boxers who made it to the newly released list of 50 fittest athletes by Sports Illustrated. They are eight-division title holder and Filipino congressman Manny Pacquiao and unbeaten American boxer Floyd Mayweather.
Boxer Manny Pacquiao of the Philippines waves to fans from a ring in the lobby of the MGM Grand Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas, Nevada April 8, 2014. Pacquiao will challenge undefeated WBO welterweight champion Timothy Bradley of the U.S. at the MGM Grand Garden Arena on April 12. The fight is a rematch to a June 9, 2012 fight that Bradley won. REUTERS/Steve Marcus
Pacquiao, who got 24 points, placed 39th on the list. He was given 6.5 points for speed, agility and endurance, and 5 for strength.
Mayweather ranked higher at 4th place with 36 points.
The roster is Sports Illustrated's first on athlete's fitness. The publication pointed out that fitness "for the professional athlete is the very foundation of success." However, Sports Illustrated stressed that among professional sportsmen, some athletes stand out over others.
The highest score is 10 for each category, and the athlete who got a perfect 40 is LeBron James, four times the MVP of the NBA. On second and third places are Portuguese football superstar Cristiano Ronaldo and runner Usain Bolt, respectively.
Pacquiao, based on his ranking, was ahead of American footballer Reggie Bush in 42nd place and Tim Howard in 42nd spot as well as Olympic gold medalist Ryan Lochte in 49th place.
Sports Illustrated defined strength as the pushing power of a lineman or the force of a fighter, speed as the top end of a sprinter or burst of a running back, endurance as a runner's bottomless reserve or a pugilist's ability to continue the fight and agility the balance of a skier going downhill or a euro step at full speed on the break.
In 2008, Sports Illustrated named Pacquiao as the Boxer of the Year. More details on that in this video.
YouTube/Pinoy Biscuit Channel
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Floyd Rhymes With Avoid,’ Says Manny Pacquiao
- NFL Thanksgiving Games: Chicago Vs. Detroit, Philadelphia Vs. Dallas, And Seattle Vs. San Francisco Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Manny Pacquiao Calls Out On Floyd Mayweather Jr. Again After Unbeaten Boxer Mocks Him With His KO Video
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Marussia Formula One Team Keeps Its Promise To Injured Driver
- Phil Hughes No More: Australian Batsman Dies at 25
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast
- Walmart Canada Black Friday 2014 Ad For Nov. 28, 2014 Up To Dec. 1, 2014 Includes Savings On The iPad Mini 16GB And The Beats Solo HD Drenched Headphones