Boxing News 2014: Mayweather & Pacquiao Only Boxers in Sports Illustrated’s List of 50 Fittest Athletes
By Vittorio Hernandez | August 7, 2014 9:21 AM EST
There are only two boxers who made it to the newly released list of 50 fittest athletes by Sports Illustrated. They are eight-division title holder and Filipino congressman Manny Pacquiao and unbeaten American boxer Floyd Mayweather.
Boxer Manny Pacquiao of the Philippines waves to fans from a ring in the lobby of the MGM Grand Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas, Nevada April 8, 2014. Pacquiao will challenge undefeated WBO welterweight champion Timothy Bradley of the U.S. at the MGM Grand Garden Arena on April 12. The fight is a rematch to a June 9, 2012 fight that Bradley won. REUTERS/Steve Marcus
Pacquiao, who got 24 points, placed 39th on the list. He was given 6.5 points for speed, agility and endurance, and 5 for strength.
Mayweather ranked higher at 4th place with 36 points.
The roster is Sports Illustrated's first on athlete's fitness. The publication pointed out that fitness "for the professional athlete is the very foundation of success." However, Sports Illustrated stressed that among professional sportsmen, some athletes stand out over others.
The highest score is 10 for each category, and the athlete who got a perfect 40 is LeBron James, four times the MVP of the NBA. On second and third places are Portuguese football superstar Cristiano Ronaldo and runner Usain Bolt, respectively.
Pacquiao, based on his ranking, was ahead of American footballer Reggie Bush in 42nd place and Tim Howard in 42nd spot as well as Olympic gold medalist Ryan Lochte in 49th place.
Sports Illustrated defined strength as the pushing power of a lineman or the force of a fighter, speed as the top end of a sprinter or burst of a running back, endurance as a runner's bottomless reserve or a pugilist's ability to continue the fight and agility the balance of a skier going downhill or a euro step at full speed on the break.
In 2008, Sports Illustrated named Pacquiao as the Boxer of the Year. More details on that in this video.
YouTube/Pinoy Biscuit Channel
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Celebrities Who Were Victims of Rape: Psychological and Physical Effects of Rape
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Women’s Tennis’ Grand Slam Winners Of 2014 - Li Na, Sharapova, Kvitova, And Williams
- Kanye West, Ben Affleck, Serena Williams Are Victims Of Migraines: Ways To Tackle It
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Final: USA Vs. Serbia Live Streaming Info, Key Players And Preview
- Manchester United News: Man Utd. vs QPR - Preview and Live Streaming Link
- Reports Indicate Mayweather Has 2 Girlfriends: Bad Medina & Liza Hernandez
- NFL Week 2: Kansas City Chiefs Vs. Denver Broncos Live Streaming Information And Preview
- Mayweather To Add $32 Million To Wealth Regardless Of Result Of Maidana Rematch
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Android Lion vs Apple iOS 8: Why Make the Big Switch
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. OnePlus One – Can The Underdog Trump The Monster?
- US Government Threatened Yahoo to Provide User Data: If not Pay a Fine of $250,000 per day
- Optus Successfully Launches Optus 10 Satellite That Will Improve TV, Internet, Phone & Data Transmission In Australia
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Moto X Pure Edition is Coming Soon with Wi-Fi Calling – Reports
- 7 Reasons Why Atlassian Topped BRW’s Best Place To Work In Australia 2014 List