Boxing News 2014: Mayweather & Pacquiao Only Boxers in Sports Illustrated’s List of 50 Fittest Athletes
By Vittorio Hernandez | August 7, 2014 9:21 AM EST
There are only two boxers who made it to the newly released list of 50 fittest athletes by Sports Illustrated. They are eight-division title holder and Filipino congressman Manny Pacquiao and unbeaten American boxer Floyd Mayweather.
Boxer Manny Pacquiao of the Philippines waves to fans from a ring in the lobby of the MGM Grand Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas, Nevada April 8, 2014. Pacquiao will challenge undefeated WBO welterweight champion Timothy Bradley of the U.S. at the MGM Grand Garden Arena on April 12. The fight is a rematch to a June 9, 2012 fight that Bradley won. REUTERS/Steve Marcus
Pacquiao, who got 24 points, placed 39th on the list. He was given 6.5 points for speed, agility and endurance, and 5 for strength.
Mayweather ranked higher at 4th place with 36 points.
The roster is Sports Illustrated's first on athlete's fitness. The publication pointed out that fitness "for the professional athlete is the very foundation of success." However, Sports Illustrated stressed that among professional sportsmen, some athletes stand out over others.
The highest score is 10 for each category, and the athlete who got a perfect 40 is LeBron James, four times the MVP of the NBA. On second and third places are Portuguese football superstar Cristiano Ronaldo and runner Usain Bolt, respectively.
Pacquiao, based on his ranking, was ahead of American footballer Reggie Bush in 42nd place and Tim Howard in 42nd spot as well as Olympic gold medalist Ryan Lochte in 49th place.
Sports Illustrated defined strength as the pushing power of a lineman or the force of a fighter, speed as the top end of a sprinter or burst of a running back, endurance as a runner's bottomless reserve or a pugilist's ability to continue the fight and agility the balance of a skier going downhill or a euro step at full speed on the break.
In 2008, Sports Illustrated named Pacquiao as the Boxer of the Year. More details on that in this video.
YouTube/Pinoy Biscuit Channel
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- Female Boxer Dies In South Africa Following Knockout Blow
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2
- Canada’s Official ISIS Mission Starts On Weekend; Kuwait Uneasy