Boxing News 2014: Mayweather & Pacquiao Only Boxers in Sports Illustrated’s List of 50 Fittest Athletes
By Vittorio Hernandez | August 7, 2014 9:21 AM EST
There are only two boxers who made it to the newly released list of 50 fittest athletes by Sports Illustrated. They are eight-division title holder and Filipino congressman Manny Pacquiao and unbeaten American boxer Floyd Mayweather.
Boxer Manny Pacquiao of the Philippines waves to fans from a ring in the lobby of the MGM Grand Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas, Nevada April 8, 2014. Pacquiao will challenge undefeated WBO welterweight champion Timothy Bradley of the U.S. at the MGM Grand Garden Arena on April 12. The fight is a rematch to a June 9, 2012 fight that Bradley won. REUTERS/Steve Marcus
Pacquiao, who got 24 points, placed 39th on the list. He was given 6.5 points for speed, agility and endurance, and 5 for strength.
Mayweather ranked higher at 4th place with 36 points.
The roster is Sports Illustrated's first on athlete's fitness. The publication pointed out that fitness "for the professional athlete is the very foundation of success." However, Sports Illustrated stressed that among professional sportsmen, some athletes stand out over others.
The highest score is 10 for each category, and the athlete who got a perfect 40 is LeBron James, four times the MVP of the NBA. On second and third places are Portuguese football superstar Cristiano Ronaldo and runner Usain Bolt, respectively.
Pacquiao, based on his ranking, was ahead of American footballer Reggie Bush in 42nd place and Tim Howard in 42nd spot as well as Olympic gold medalist Ryan Lochte in 49th place.
Sports Illustrated defined strength as the pushing power of a lineman or the force of a fighter, speed as the top end of a sprinter or burst of a running back, endurance as a runner's bottomless reserve or a pugilist's ability to continue the fight and agility the balance of a skier going downhill or a euro step at full speed on the break.
In 2008, Sports Illustrated named Pacquiao as the Boxer of the Year. More details on that in this video.
YouTube/Pinoy Biscuit Channel
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- Toni Nadal Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery