FC Barcelona: Neymar Finally Trains after Suffering Back Injury
By Mark Wayne Eubank | August 7, 2014 9:03 AM EST
It's a good day for FC Barcelona supporters as star playmaker Neymar is finally back on the pitch after having been sidelined due to a blow to the back since the first week of July.
Brazil's poster boy sustained an injury to the spine that almost ended his footballing career, resulting from a challenge by Colombia's Juan Zuniga.
Brazilian soccer player and Barcelona forward Neymar waves as he wears a "Yukata", a casual summer Kimono, after receiving it as a souvenir from the organizer during a fan event in Tokyo July 31, 2014. Neymar flew into Japan on Thursday for a promotional event and news conference as he continues to recover from a back injury sustained during the World Cup. About 5,000 people arrived to see the Brazil international at the event, according to the organizers. The characters on his Yukata, used as phonetic symbols, pronounces "Neymar".
"Neymar is back in training with the rest of the first-team squad," a statement read on FCBarcelona.com.
"He will be given a thorough examination by the club's medical services to evaluate his recovery."
Should the 22-year-old former Santos man make a swift recovery, he might be able to feature in Barca's La Liga opener against Elche on Aug. 24.
Meanwhile, Zuniga is off-the-hook, so to speak, as FIFA refused to take cognizance of the complaint lodged by the Confederation of Brazilian Football, citing that the referee - Carlos Velasco Carballo - was on top of the situation during the game, which precludes the disciplinary panel from intervening, according to the rules.
Was malice present when the challenge was made? You be the judge. Watch the video below.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage