FC Barcelona: Neymar Finally Trains after Suffering Back Injury
By Mark Wayne Eubank | August 7, 2014 9:03 AM EST
It's a good day for FC Barcelona supporters as star playmaker Neymar is finally back on the pitch after having been sidelined due to a blow to the back since the first week of July.
Brazil's poster boy sustained an injury to the spine that almost ended his footballing career, resulting from a challenge by Colombia's Juan Zuniga.
Brazilian soccer player and Barcelona forward Neymar waves as he wears a "Yukata", a casual summer Kimono, after receiving it as a souvenir from the organizer during a fan event in Tokyo July 31, 2014. Neymar flew into Japan on Thursday for a promotional event and news conference as he continues to recover from a back injury sustained during the World Cup. About 5,000 people arrived to see the Brazil international at the event, according to the organizers. The characters on his Yukata, used as phonetic symbols, pronounces "Neymar".
"Neymar is back in training with the rest of the first-team squad," a statement read on FCBarcelona.com.
"He will be given a thorough examination by the club's medical services to evaluate his recovery."
Should the 22-year-old former Santos man make a swift recovery, he might be able to feature in Barca's La Liga opener against Elche on Aug. 24.
Meanwhile, Zuniga is off-the-hook, so to speak, as FIFA refused to take cognizance of the complaint lodged by the Confederation of Brazilian Football, citing that the referee - Carlos Velasco Carballo - was on top of the situation during the game, which precludes the disciplinary panel from intervening, according to the rules.
Was malice present when the challenge was made? You be the judge. Watch the video below.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- MMA News: Transgender Fighter Fallon Fox Challenges Ronda Rousey, Fires Back on ‘Ignorant’ Comments
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Points Out Amir Khan's Poor Boxing Record
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Fight Won't Happen As Long As Bob Arum Is Involved, Says Pacquiao's Former Conditioning Coach
- WWE News: CM Punk Merchandise Pulled From Stands, Punk Chasing Royalties For WWE 2K15 Inclusion [VIDEO]
- Floyd Mayweather Admits Marcos Maidana’s Power Shot Hurt Him [VIDEO]
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: Battle of the Samsung Flagship Smartphones
- Galaxy Note 4 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Better Performing Display and Best Overall Screen
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Purported Xiaomi Redmi Note Successor Powered With Monstrous Processor Under Wraps, Will Take On Meizu MX4