FC Barcelona: Neymar Finally Trains after Suffering Back Injury
By Mark Wayne Eubank | August 7, 2014 9:03 AM EST
It's a good day for FC Barcelona supporters as star playmaker Neymar is finally back on the pitch after having been sidelined due to a blow to the back since the first week of July.
Brazil's poster boy sustained an injury to the spine that almost ended his footballing career, resulting from a challenge by Colombia's Juan Zuniga.
Brazilian soccer player and Barcelona forward Neymar waves as he wears a "Yukata", a casual summer Kimono, after receiving it as a souvenir from the organizer during a fan event in Tokyo July 31, 2014. Neymar flew into Japan on Thursday for a promotional event and news conference as he continues to recover from a back injury sustained during the World Cup. About 5,000 people arrived to see the Brazil international at the event, according to the organizers. The characters on his Yukata, used as phonetic symbols, pronounces "Neymar".
"Neymar is back in training with the rest of the first-team squad," a statement read on FCBarcelona.com.
"He will be given a thorough examination by the club's medical services to evaluate his recovery."
Should the 22-year-old former Santos man make a swift recovery, he might be able to feature in Barca's La Liga opener against Elche on Aug. 24.
Meanwhile, Zuniga is off-the-hook, so to speak, as FIFA refused to take cognizance of the complaint lodged by the Confederation of Brazilian Football, citing that the referee - Carlos Velasco Carballo - was on top of the situation during the game, which precludes the disciplinary panel from intervening, according to the rules.
Was malice present when the challenge was made? You be the judge. Watch the video below.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions