FC Barcelona: Neymar Finally Trains after Suffering Back Injury
By Mark Wayne Eubank | August 7, 2014 9:03 AM EST
It's a good day for FC Barcelona supporters as star playmaker Neymar is finally back on the pitch after having been sidelined due to a blow to the back since the first week of July.
Brazil's poster boy sustained an injury to the spine that almost ended his footballing career, resulting from a challenge by Colombia's Juan Zuniga.
Brazilian soccer player and Barcelona forward Neymar waves as he wears a "Yukata", a casual summer Kimono, after receiving it as a souvenir from the organizer during a fan event in Tokyo July 31, 2014. Neymar flew into Japan on Thursday for a promotional event and news conference as he continues to recover from a back injury sustained during the World Cup. About 5,000 people arrived to see the Brazil international at the event, according to the organizers. The characters on his Yukata, used as phonetic symbols, pronounces "Neymar".
"Neymar is back in training with the rest of the first-team squad," a statement read on FCBarcelona.com.
"He will be given a thorough examination by the club's medical services to evaluate his recovery."
Should the 22-year-old former Santos man make a swift recovery, he might be able to feature in Barca's La Liga opener against Elche on Aug. 24.
Meanwhile, Zuniga is off-the-hook, so to speak, as FIFA refused to take cognizance of the complaint lodged by the Confederation of Brazilian Football, citing that the referee - Carlos Velasco Carballo - was on top of the situation during the game, which precludes the disciplinary panel from intervening, according to the rules.
Was malice present when the challenge was made? You be the judge. Watch the video below.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Chris Algieri Exposed, Criticised For Lack Of Desire To Win Against Manny Pacquiao
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners