Top 10 Sports Illustrated First-Ever Fittest 50 Athletes; Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, Georges St-Pierre Also Make the Cut
By Rachelle Corpuz | August 7, 2014 8:29 AM EST
Sports Illustrated (SI) has unveiled the list of the fittest athletes in the world. Some of the top athletes in different sport disciplines have made it to SI's inaugural list, which was determined based on four unique criteria such as strength, speed, endurance, and agility.
Real Madrid's Cristiano Ronaldo (R) celebrates with team mate Alvaro Morata (L) after scoring a penalty against Atletico Madrid during their Champions League final soccer match at the Luz Stadium in Lisbon May 24, 2014.
How do the world's greatest athletes fare with other high intensity athletes? Here's the top 10.
Athlete (Overall Score)
1. Lebron James (40)
2. Cristiano Ronaldo (38.5)
3. Usain Bolt (36.5)
4. Floyd Mayweather (36)
5. Dez Bryant (35)
6. Calvin Johnson (34.5)
7. Serge Ibaka (34)
8. Adrian Peterson (33.5)
9. Jon Jones (33)
10. Michael Phelps (33)
The fastest man on earth, Usain Bolt, has received an overall score of 36.5 out of 40. Agility, endurance, and strength were the categories where Bolt fell just short of SI's top two. In 2013, Bolt revealed his rigorous training and diet secrets to Details.com. Bolt reportedly spends 90 minutes in the gym to maintain his healthy and lean physique. As for his diet, he eats healthy food and tries not to eat fast food for long periods.
Real Madrid superstar Cristiano Ronaldo is at the second spot. He scored 10 in three categories including speed, endurance, and agility. He fell short when it comes to overall strength.
King James claimed the top spot. According to SI, no other athlete deserves the first place other than Cleveland's prodigal son. He scored a perfect 10 in all four criteria. "James has the build of Malone and the speed and agility of Iverson." For his stamina, James has played a total of 1000 games in 11 seasons averaging 40 minutes per game for his basketball career. SI said that James is the only athlete who can get away playing other sports and excel in them.
Other athletes who made it to the list include top-ranked athletes in the sporting world of tennis, Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal, who are positioned at the 31st and 20th places, respectively. Semi-retired Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) fighter Georges St-Pierre is the second mixed martial artist on the list. St-Pierre is at the 25th spot. Another UFC fighter Jon Jones has made it to the top 10 behind Minnesota Vikings' Adrian Peterson.
For the complete list, visit SI.com.
MORE ARTICLES TO READ:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch