‘True Detective’ In Talks With Elisabeth Moss For Female Lead; Colin Farrell, Taylor Kitsch, Vince Vaughn Also in the Running – Report
By Anne Lu | August 6, 2014 3:55 PM EST
Elisabeth Moss is the latest name reported to take the female lead character in “True Detective.” The “Mad Men” star is being eyed to play Ani Bezzerides in the HBO series.
According to The Wrap, the second season of the surprise hit crime drama may feature the 32-year-old actress if the deal falls into place.
Actor Matthew McConaughey accepts the award for Best Actor in a Drama Series for "True Detective" at the 4th Annual Critics' Choice Television Awards at the Beverly Hilton in Beverly Hills, California June 19, 2014. REUTERS/Mario Anzuoni
Her role as Ani is described as a “tough, no-nonsense Monterey sheriff whose troubled upbringing has driven her to gambling and alcohol.”
As previously reported by the Web site, the series will be having three leads – two males and one female. Moss is already targeted for the female lead, while the two male roles are apparently being shopped to Colin Farrell and Taylor Kitsch.
Farrell is nearing to close a deal with HBO, while Kitsch is the reported frontrunner.
As for their roles, Farrell will be playing Ray Velcoro, “who has been damaged by years of turmoil in both his personal and professional lives,” and the 33-year-old Kitsch will be playing the younger lead named Paul Woodrugh, a “28-year-old military veteran who has seen his own share of violence and destruction.”
Series creator Nic Pizzolatto has told The Daily Beast in July that there will be four central roles for season two. But as speculated, it may be because the primary antagonist is also considered as a main character.
Vince Vaughn, who is known for his comedic film roles such as “Fred Claus” and “Couples Retreat,” may be playing the lead antagonist in the show.
He is in talks to play a former thug-turned-businessman named Frank Semyon, who is working with a mayor and his political followers in reaping funds from the government.
Apparently, Pizzolatto has been writing the antagonist with Vaughn in mind.
Also reported to join the series in a key role is “The Killing” star Michelle Forbes, who could play either Velcoro’s sexual assault survivor ex-wife or Semyon’s wife.
Moss, Kitsch, Farrell, Vaughn and Forbes are the latest names being associated with the highly anticipated series.
For a time, a number of high-profile film actors were reported to be in talks with the producers of the HBO show, including Brad Pitt, Joaquin Phoenix, Josh Brolin, Russell Crowe, Cate Blanchett and Michael Fassbender. However, none have confirmed the news.
Jessica Chastain, who was said to be in the running to play the female lead, was the only actor who denied her reported involvement.
Earlier in March, Pizzolatto told HitFix that season two will be about “hard women, bad men and the secret occult history of the United States transportation system.”
The first season of “True Detective” launched in January to critical acclaim. Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson led the cast.
For the second season, the story will revolve in California, and will follow the death of a corrupt city manager amid a potentially groundbreaking transportation deal. According to the breakdown obtained by The Wrap, it will bring together three enforcement officers from different cities and government branches to solve the mystery of his brutal murder.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers From Nov. 24-28, 2014 Plus Additional Spoilers For Dec. 1, 2014: Thanksgiving In Port Charles
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Major Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Thoughtful in ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Spoilers: Rick Grimes’ Group To Capture Cops In Episode 7 – ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 24 – 28 Plus Thanksgiving Special Spoilers: Someone Returns, Kelly Finds Out About Engagement And More [Videos]
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Product Recall: Graco Recalls Baby Strollers in Canada, U.S. Due To Amputation Risks
- New Zealand Assured China-Australia Deal Will Not Affect Demand
- New Zealand Medicine Products Sector To Get Own Regulator::Drops Plan For A Joint Regulator With Australia
- Canada's Ontario Students Score High Rank In Global Survey Of Computer Skills