‘True Detective’ In Talks With Elisabeth Moss For Female Lead; Colin Farrell, Taylor Kitsch, Vince Vaughn Also in the Running – Report
By Anne Lu | August 6, 2014 3:55 PM EST
Elisabeth Moss is the latest name reported to take the female lead character in “True Detective.” The “Mad Men” star is being eyed to play Ani Bezzerides in the HBO series.
According to The Wrap, the second season of the surprise hit crime drama may feature the 32-year-old actress if the deal falls into place.
Actor Matthew McConaughey accepts the award for Best Actor in a Drama Series for "True Detective" at the 4th Annual Critics' Choice Television Awards at the Beverly Hilton in Beverly Hills, California June 19, 2014. REUTERS/Mario Anzuoni
Her role as Ani is described as a “tough, no-nonsense Monterey sheriff whose troubled upbringing has driven her to gambling and alcohol.”
As previously reported by the Web site, the series will be having three leads – two males and one female. Moss is already targeted for the female lead, while the two male roles are apparently being shopped to Colin Farrell and Taylor Kitsch.
Farrell is nearing to close a deal with HBO, while Kitsch is the reported frontrunner.
As for their roles, Farrell will be playing Ray Velcoro, “who has been damaged by years of turmoil in both his personal and professional lives,” and the 33-year-old Kitsch will be playing the younger lead named Paul Woodrugh, a “28-year-old military veteran who has seen his own share of violence and destruction.”
Series creator Nic Pizzolatto has told The Daily Beast in July that there will be four central roles for season two. But as speculated, it may be because the primary antagonist is also considered as a main character.
Vince Vaughn, who is known for his comedic film roles such as “Fred Claus” and “Couples Retreat,” may be playing the lead antagonist in the show.
He is in talks to play a former thug-turned-businessman named Frank Semyon, who is working with a mayor and his political followers in reaping funds from the government.
Apparently, Pizzolatto has been writing the antagonist with Vaughn in mind.
Also reported to join the series in a key role is “The Killing” star Michelle Forbes, who could play either Velcoro’s sexual assault survivor ex-wife or Semyon’s wife.
Moss, Kitsch, Farrell, Vaughn and Forbes are the latest names being associated with the highly anticipated series.
For a time, a number of high-profile film actors were reported to be in talks with the producers of the HBO show, including Brad Pitt, Joaquin Phoenix, Josh Brolin, Russell Crowe, Cate Blanchett and Michael Fassbender. However, none have confirmed the news.
Jessica Chastain, who was said to be in the running to play the female lead, was the only actor who denied her reported involvement.
Earlier in March, Pizzolatto told HitFix that season two will be about “hard women, bad men and the secret occult history of the United States transportation system.”
The first season of “True Detective” launched in January to critical acclaim. Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson led the cast.
For the second season, the story will revolve in California, and will follow the death of a corrupt city manager amid a potentially groundbreaking transportation deal. According to the breakdown obtained by The Wrap, it will bring together three enforcement officers from different cities and government branches to solve the mystery of his brutal murder.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 2 Major Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Strangers’
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Grand Final Sing-Off: Marlisa Punzalan, Dean Ray and Brothers 3 [VIDEOS]
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’: Blake And Louise Tell The True Story
- ‘Days Of Our Lives’ (DOOL) Oct. 20-24 Spoilers: An ‘Unexpected Visitor’ Changes Everything For Sami Plus Updates On Salemites
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers From Oct. 20-24, 2014, Plus Additional Spoilers For Oct. 27, 2014: Nina Makes Public Rosalie’s Secret
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity