Hoax Bomb Threat aboard Qatar Airways Had a Man Arrested by British Police
By Athena Yenko | August 6, 2014 3:33 PM EST
A hoax bomb threat made aboard Qatar Airways had a man arrested by British police. The threat also had the Royal Air Force Typhoon scrambling to escort the plane as it makes its landing to Manchester airport in northwest England.
The crew, on board Qatar Airways flight QR23 from Doha to Manchester, "had received a threat about a possible device on board and Qatar Airways immediately took all the necessary precautions to alert British authorities," the airline said in a statement.
The Royal Air Force Typhoon immediately answered to the alert and escorted the plane as it makes its landing to Manchester airport.
"We can confirm that Typhoon aircraft were launched from RAF Coningsby in their quick reaction alert role this afternoon to investigate a civilian aircraft whose pilot had requested assistance," RAF confirmed.
The scene by which a RAF Typhoon was roaring and circling a passenger plane in the sky caught the attention of many people and created bustle among those who have seen it.
The incident had also caused for nine flights to be diverted to other airports.
The culprit to the hoax bomb threat is a 47-year-old man from the northwest of England. He had been duly arrested and is now in the custody of the British police for further questioning, Chief Superintendent John O'Hare of Greater Manchester Police said.
The plane, an Airbus A330-300, was carrying 269 passengers.
One passenger, Matthew Cox, said that everybody was nervous but there was no overwhelming panic. Their luggages were thoroughly searched after the culprit was cuffed and arrested.
Another passenger, Aurang Zeb, said that the police who answered to the alert all have guns. The police then sat the culprit up and instructed for the man to put his hands up before being escorted out of the plane.
"Kids were crying, some people looked very worried because of rumours there's a bomb on the plane," Zeb said.
Qatar Airways assured everyone that the safety of its passengers and crew is its top priority and that they are leaving the whole investigation to the police. The airline announced that business ensues as usual after the incident.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone