Game of Thrones Season 5 Spoilers: High Sparrow
By Sachin Trivedi | August 6, 2014 2:42 PM EST
Religion may be coming to King's Landing in a big way in "Game of Thrones" Season 5. The new character High Sparrow may be a difficult character to deal with for the others. Here is a look at what readers may expect to see from the character. Spoiler alert.
Actress Lena Headey from the television drama "Game of Thrones" arrives at the 20th annual Screen Actors Guild Awards in Los Angeles, California January 18, 2014. REUTERS/Lucy Nicholson
The TV show "Game of Thrones" is an adaptation of the book series "A Song of Ice and Fire," by George R. R. Martin. The background information about the High Sparrow and the spoilers are based on the book series. Readers may note that the producers have chosen to modify some aspects of the story in the previous seasons.
The most prominent religion of Westeros is the Faith of the Seven. The people pray to the Father, the Mother, the Warrior, the Maiden, the Smith, the Crone and the Stranger. Fans of the series may remember several references to the faith in the previous seasons.
Although there have been many references to the Faith of the Seven, so far fans of the series have not seen a central figure representing the religion. There have also been references to the Red God and viewers can see Melisandre and others doing the work of the Lord of the Light.
The Faith of the Seven is an established religion with the High Septon being the spiritual head. The person who assumes this position is called as the High Sparrow. The role of High Sparrow will be played by Jonathan Pryce in "Game of Thrones" Season 5.
The crown owes a lot of money to a lot of people. Apart from the Iron Bank and the House Lanniser, the new King also owes a huge sum to the Faith of Seven. The religion is rich and influential in the realm and the new High Sparrow will increase that influence by selling the riches of the previous High Septons to buy food for the poor.
According to the books Cersei Lannister will get the dues of the kingdom to the Faith of Seven cancelled. But the debt forgiveness will come at a cost. Many years ago the Faith of Seven was allowed to have a military arm and it took a great amount of efforts by the kingdom to make the faith abandon the concept of having an army of their own.
Cersie Lannister will allow the High Sparrow to initiate the recruitment of the army again in "Game of Thrones" Season 5. This will make the Faith of Seven a formidable force in the coming days and may also threaten the power of the crown in the future.
More Articles to Read
Fast and Furious 7 Release Date - Dwayne Johnson in Action Pictured on the Set [Read]
Star Wars 7: Weight Loss, Beard and Leg Injury - What the Stars Went Through So Far [Read]
Star Wars 7: Sheamus Hints at Darth Vader Role [Read]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt Photographed Fighting Before ‘Unbroken’ Sydney Premiere – Report [VIDEO]
- 'NCIS Los Angeles' Season 6 Recap: Episode 9 'Traitor' Aired On Nov. 24, 2014, The Hunt For The ‘NCIS LA’ Mole Is Over [WATCH VIDEOS]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 26 Spoilers: Victoria Finds Who The Father Of Her Child Is And Jack And Phyllis Rekindle Romance
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season7, Episode 12 Spoilers: Thanksgiving Break, SAMCRO Returns In December [VIDEO]
- 'Glee' Season 6 Spoilers, Air Date: Naya Rivera Teases Wedding In Final Chapter, Lea Michele Tweets 700th Song Number
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft
- Nuclear War: Putin Certain To Launch Battle To Avoid Corruption Charges, Whistleblower Claims