Viral Video Misty Copeland: Ballerina Becomes New Face of American Sports Brand Under Armour's I Will What I Want Campaign
By Jenalyn Villamarin | August 6, 2014 2:39 PM EST
The latest video ad of Under Armour went viral as ballerina Misty Copeland became the new face of the American clothing company's campaign called "I Will What I Want." The viral video features a solo routine from the 31-year-old soloist of the American Ballet Theatre with a voice of a young girl sharing about a rejection letter she received from a ballet academy.
In the inspiring viral video, which currently has over four million YouTube views, a Boston.com report revealed that Raiya Goodman, 14, did the voice over for an aspiring ballerina getting rejected because she does not have the body shape of a ballerina dancer. Goodman's voice over revealed that a ballet academy did not accept a 13-year-old girl because she is too old to be considered, she lacks the right feet, Achilles tendons, turnout, torso length and bust.
"You have the wrong body for ballet," Goodman further stated in the viral YouTube video published last Wednesday, July 30. Then, Misty Copeland performs on a stage her solo ballerina routine that includes spinning, kicking and leaping. The brief ad ended with Misty Copeland being identified as the professional ballerina soloist of the American Ballet Theatre and Under Armour's new tagline "I Will What I Want" for the company's ad campaign.
Copeland, who started ballet at the age of 13, revealed she never received a letter that rejected her in becoming a ballerina but she was told about having a wrong body type. The ballerina recalled that she started to experience the criticisms when she hit puberty.
"I was told I had the wrong body type, to lose weight, that I had to lengthen because I was too muscular and that my bust was too big," the African-American ballerina soloist shared. Leanne Fremar, the Under Armour executive creative director of the women's division, explained that ballerina Misty Copeland is not a competitive athlete but she can convey modern athleticism to an established art form.
"She pushes the boundaries on the status quo of the word 'athlete.' There are a lot of sports, activities, hobbies and passions that women are engaging in that are athletic and physical and should be celebrated, whether it's dance or soccer or kickboxing or spinning," Fremar stated. Misty Copeland further added that the Under Amour ad campaign shows the physicality of what it takes to become a professional ballerina and admiration that ballet dancers are also hard working as any athlete.
Credit: YouTube/Under Armour
More Articles to Read:
Viral Vdeo Shakira Hips Don't Lie: Oxford University Students Releases A Capella Performance of Shakira's Songs for Charity - [READ]
UFO Sightings: Mysterious Bright Lights Spotted Flashing over Toronto, Witnesses Share UFO Sighting Experience on Social Media [VIDEO] - [READ]
Viral Video Cyring Sadie: 5-Year-Old Little Girl Does Not Want Her Baby Brother to Grow Up [WATCH VIDEO] - [READ]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Virus Might Reach Australia in Months; Health Dept Says Australia Prepared For Outbreak
- Woman, 40, Charged after Six Baby Corpses Found in Canada U-Haul Locker
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Seven Weird Things Banned by Governments
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports