Viral Video Misty Copeland: Ballerina Becomes New Face of American Sports Brand Under Armour's I Will What I Want Campaign
By Jenalyn Villamarin | August 6, 2014 2:39 PM EST
The latest video ad of Under Armour went viral as ballerina Misty Copeland became the new face of the American clothing company's campaign called "I Will What I Want." The viral video features a solo routine from the 31-year-old soloist of the American Ballet Theatre with a voice of a young girl sharing about a rejection letter she received from a ballet academy.
In the inspiring viral video, which currently has over four million YouTube views, a Boston.com report revealed that Raiya Goodman, 14, did the voice over for an aspiring ballerina getting rejected because she does not have the body shape of a ballerina dancer. Goodman's voice over revealed that a ballet academy did not accept a 13-year-old girl because she is too old to be considered, she lacks the right feet, Achilles tendons, turnout, torso length and bust.
"You have the wrong body for ballet," Goodman further stated in the viral YouTube video published last Wednesday, July 30. Then, Misty Copeland performs on a stage her solo ballerina routine that includes spinning, kicking and leaping. The brief ad ended with Misty Copeland being identified as the professional ballerina soloist of the American Ballet Theatre and Under Armour's new tagline "I Will What I Want" for the company's ad campaign.
Copeland, who started ballet at the age of 13, revealed she never received a letter that rejected her in becoming a ballerina but she was told about having a wrong body type. The ballerina recalled that she started to experience the criticisms when she hit puberty.
"I was told I had the wrong body type, to lose weight, that I had to lengthen because I was too muscular and that my bust was too big," the African-American ballerina soloist shared. Leanne Fremar, the Under Armour executive creative director of the women's division, explained that ballerina Misty Copeland is not a competitive athlete but she can convey modern athleticism to an established art form.
"She pushes the boundaries on the status quo of the word 'athlete.' There are a lot of sports, activities, hobbies and passions that women are engaging in that are athletic and physical and should be celebrated, whether it's dance or soccer or kickboxing or spinning," Fremar stated. Misty Copeland further added that the Under Amour ad campaign shows the physicality of what it takes to become a professional ballerina and admiration that ballet dancers are also hard working as any athlete.
Credit: YouTube/Under Armour
More Articles to Read:
Viral Vdeo Shakira Hips Don't Lie: Oxford University Students Releases A Capella Performance of Shakira's Songs for Charity - [READ]
UFO Sightings: Mysterious Bright Lights Spotted Flashing over Toronto, Witnesses Share UFO Sighting Experience on Social Media [VIDEO] - [READ]
Viral Video Cyring Sadie: 5-Year-Old Little Girl Does Not Want Her Baby Brother to Grow Up [WATCH VIDEO] - [READ]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Melanoma Could Be Caused By Ageing Genes; Best Diet For Anti-Ageing; Celebrities Who Have Aged Gracefully
Join the Conversation
- Hoax Alert: 'Ebola Vaccine Only Works on White Skin' Viral Story Not True
- Kate Middleton And Prince William Have Chosen The Name Of Their Second Child- Details
- Gunman Killed In Brisbane Shoot-out On Live TV
- Melbourne Wakes Up To Anti-Terror Raids: Seabrook Man Arrested For Funding Terrorist Organisation
- Explosion in Canada Damages Building, Five Injured
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Boxing News 2014: Social Media War Between Boxers Continues As Pacquiao Repeats Comment That Mayweather Acts Like Uneducated Person, While Ignoring ‘Miss Pac Man’ Post
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate