Viral Video Misty Copeland: Ballerina Becomes New Face of American Sports Brand Under Armour's I Will What I Want Campaign
By Jenalyn Villamarin | August 6, 2014 2:39 PM EST
The latest video ad of Under Armour went viral as ballerina Misty Copeland became the new face of the American clothing company's campaign called "I Will What I Want." The viral video features a solo routine from the 31-year-old soloist of the American Ballet Theatre with a voice of a young girl sharing about a rejection letter she received from a ballet academy.
In the inspiring viral video, which currently has over four million YouTube views, a Boston.com report revealed that Raiya Goodman, 14, did the voice over for an aspiring ballerina getting rejected because she does not have the body shape of a ballerina dancer. Goodman's voice over revealed that a ballet academy did not accept a 13-year-old girl because she is too old to be considered, she lacks the right feet, Achilles tendons, turnout, torso length and bust.
"You have the wrong body for ballet," Goodman further stated in the viral YouTube video published last Wednesday, July 30. Then, Misty Copeland performs on a stage her solo ballerina routine that includes spinning, kicking and leaping. The brief ad ended with Misty Copeland being identified as the professional ballerina soloist of the American Ballet Theatre and Under Armour's new tagline "I Will What I Want" for the company's ad campaign.
Copeland, who started ballet at the age of 13, revealed she never received a letter that rejected her in becoming a ballerina but she was told about having a wrong body type. The ballerina recalled that she started to experience the criticisms when she hit puberty.
"I was told I had the wrong body type, to lose weight, that I had to lengthen because I was too muscular and that my bust was too big," the African-American ballerina soloist shared. Leanne Fremar, the Under Armour executive creative director of the women's division, explained that ballerina Misty Copeland is not a competitive athlete but she can convey modern athleticism to an established art form.
"She pushes the boundaries on the status quo of the word 'athlete.' There are a lot of sports, activities, hobbies and passions that women are engaging in that are athletic and physical and should be celebrated, whether it's dance or soccer or kickboxing or spinning," Fremar stated. Misty Copeland further added that the Under Amour ad campaign shows the physicality of what it takes to become a professional ballerina and admiration that ballet dancers are also hard working as any athlete.
Credit: YouTube/Under Armour
More Articles to Read:
Viral Vdeo Shakira Hips Don't Lie: Oxford University Students Releases A Capella Performance of Shakira's Songs for Charity - [READ]
UFO Sightings: Mysterious Bright Lights Spotted Flashing over Toronto, Witnesses Share UFO Sighting Experience on Social Media [VIDEO] - [READ]
Viral Video Cyring Sadie: 5-Year-Old Little Girl Does Not Want Her Baby Brother to Grow Up [WATCH VIDEO] - [READ]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Monday Night Football Recap: Chicago Bears 27, New York Jets 19
- Kate Middleton, Kelly Brook Have 'Most Perfect Breasts' While Kim Kardashian, Rihanna Have 'Least Desirable' Breasts, New Survey Finds [SEE PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Of Cambridge ‘Dissed’ By Camilla Parker-Bowles; Delivery Expected In April- Reports
- 'Green Alien Eggs' Spotted on Sydney's Dee Why Beach
- Robin Williams Confessed To Loving Billy Connolly Like A Brother In A Final Goodbye Call
- The Pirate Bay Founder Peter Sunde Attends Father’s Funeral Without Handcuffs, Brother Thanks TPB Founder’s Supporters on Facebook
- Drag Queens Fume That Facebook Is Banning Aliases And Threaten to Drop Out Of It
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Galaxy Note 4 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Better Performing Display and Best Overall Screen
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: Battle of the Samsung Flagship Smartphones
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Galaxy Note 4 vs iPhone 6: Performance, Sales, iOS 8 and Android 5.0 L