MH17: Fake Trial will Ensue, Rebels will not be Tried – Law Minister Says
By Athena Yenko | August 6, 2014 2:35 PM EST
A fake trial will ensue and rebels will not be tried under Malaysian statutes, Malaysia's former Law Minister Nazri Abdul Aziz said.
Abdul Aziz said that if Malaysian authorities insist of having MH17 trial in Malaysia, a fake trial will ensue and rebels will not be tried under Malaysian laws.
A woman takes a photograph of wreckage at the crash site of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17 near the village of Hrabove (Grabovo), Donetsk region July 26, 2014. Nearly 300 people, 193 of them Dutch citizens, were killed when the Malaysia Airlines plane en route from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur was brought down in eastern Ukraine, where separatists are battling government forces, on July 17. REUTERS/Sergei Karpukhin (UKRAINE - Tags: POLITICS DISASTER TRANSPORT CIVIL UNREST TPX IMAGES OF THE DAY)
He explained that it was impossible for the rebels to attend trials in Malaysia and if "we can't bring the rebels (who shot down MH17) here (to Malaysia) to be tried, and if they are not here to be tried, then it would just be a fake trial," Abdul Aziz said as quoted by Malaysiakini.
He thinks that the best recourse for Malaysia is to seek trial at the International Criminal Court (ICC).
Abdul Aziz is also the chairperson of the Malaysian chapter for Parliamentarians for Global Action based in New York. The group is lobbying for countries to be state members to the ICC through ratifying the Rome Statute.
He is calling for Malaysia to pursue the ratification process.
"We can still do it next month or next year. We used to think that it was not very important to become a member of the ICC as our country is not at war with anyone. But look what has happened now? Our plane was shot down by rebels at the Ukraine-Russian border. We have 44 Malaysians on that flight, and most importantly, it is our airplane!" Abdul Aziz lamented.
Abdul Aziz's comment came after Minister in the Prime Minister's Department Nancy Shukri was quoted saying that although Malaysia is not an ICC member, trial for MH17 can still happen in the country. She said that Malaysia has provisions that can be applied to MH17.
Meanwhile, clashes between the Ukrainian forces and rebels continue on Donetsk near the crash site of MH17.
Shellings were reportedly terrifying as explosions destroyed one district in Donetsk.
According to statements from Ukraine's military government, clashes between the Ukrainian forces and rebels had happened 26 times within a 24-hour period. Fighter jets target areas where rebels and weaponries were positioned.
An emergency meeting was called by Russia as it call for more humanitarian aid to be sent into Ukraine.
During the meeting, Australia's ambassador to the United Nations, Gary Quinlan, raised that investigators were still being prevented from accessing the crash site of the downed MH17.
"Although we had cooperation today of Ukraine authorities, armed separatists today restricted access to several areas of the crash site, hampering the investigation and recovery of remains and personal effects," Quinlan said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Search Update: Conspiracy To Withhold Full Cargo Manifest Still Alight
- MH370 Oct 23 Update: Public Reports Debris Washed Up In Australian Coastline
- Tasmania Ranks No. 4 In Lonely Planet’s 'Top 10 Regions In The World To Visit In 2015' List
- Missing Sydney Father–Daughter In Nepal Blizzard Call Home
- Lonely Planet Lists Top Ten Countries To Visit in 2015
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’