Actress Gwyneth Paltrow's 'Uncoupling' With Coldplay Singer Chris Martin, Uncoupling Vs. Divorce, Effects of Divorce
By Afza Fathima | August 6, 2014 1:57 PM EST
Actress Gwyneth Paltrow said she and her husband, singer Chris Martin, have had a "conscious uncoupling" between them. They have two children and to reduce the negativity in their surroundings, decided to go in for conscious uncoupling instead.
Chris Martin of Coldplay performs at the MTV Video Music Awards Japan 2014 in Chiba, near Tokyo June 14, 2014.
The message on her lifestyle website, Goop, titled 'Conscious Uncoupling' went this way: "It is with hearts full of sadness that we have decided to separate. We have been working hard for well over a year, some of it together, some of it separated, to see what might have been possible between us, and we have come to the conclusion that while we love each other very much we will remain separate. We are, however, and always will be a family, and in many ways we are closer than we have ever been. We are parents first and foremost, to two incredibly wonderful children and we ask for their and our space and privacy to be respected at this difficult time. We have always conducted our relationship privately, and we hope that as we consciously uncouple and coparent, we will be able to continue in the same manner."
Conscious uncoupling has a different meaning for different couples, one of which can be interpreted as separating of a couple with the least emotional damage. Most couples who have children are the ones who opt for it. To spare the children of the negative effects that divorce brings, uncoupling is seen as an alternative. It is neither considered a legal separation nor a legal divorce.
The National Center for Health Statistics shows that 50 to 60 per cent of the couples opt for divorce. Now, people seem to looking for a separation which is kind and gentle on the children. Tammy Nelson, Ph. D. had said that conscious uncoupling has become a popular trend. She believes that despite a relationship coming to an end, in uncoupling, there is recognition that the relationship had a successful period as well.
A Columbia University study shows that in case of a divorce, the children are effected to a great extent, much into their adulthood and are at a high risk for depression, substance abuse and suicide attempts. The children develop poor interpersonal skills and garner the feeling of being unwanted. Another study by Public Health found that children of divorced families have a higher tendencies to pick up the ugly habit of smoking.
Jane Mauldon from the University of California has said that children from estranged families have a 35 per cent chance of developing health problems in comparison to 26 per cent in all the other children. The divorce can also result in loss of factors required for good health like constant adult supervision and a safe environment.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Australia to Host Human Tests for New Brain Tumour Treatment
- Ebola Vaccine Shows High Immune System Response In Early Tests; Australia Lifts Travel Ban on Congo
- Ellen DeGeneres Gives El Cajon Man With Viral Weight Loss Video Ford Mustang
- Movember Ends With Shave-Off
- Viral 'Do They Know Its Christmas?' Video With Ed Sheeran, One Direction, Sam Smith Raises $1.5 Million For Ebola In Minutes
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast