Actress Gwyneth Paltrow's 'Uncoupling' With Coldplay Singer Chris Martin, Uncoupling Vs. Divorce, Effects of Divorce
By Afza Fathima | August 6, 2014 1:57 PM EST
Actress Gwyneth Paltrow said she and her husband, singer Chris Martin, have had a "conscious uncoupling" between them. They have two children and to reduce the negativity in their surroundings, decided to go in for conscious uncoupling instead.
Chris Martin of Coldplay performs at the MTV Video Music Awards Japan 2014 in Chiba, near Tokyo June 14, 2014.
The message on her lifestyle website, Goop, titled 'Conscious Uncoupling' went this way: "It is with hearts full of sadness that we have decided to separate. We have been working hard for well over a year, some of it together, some of it separated, to see what might have been possible between us, and we have come to the conclusion that while we love each other very much we will remain separate. We are, however, and always will be a family, and in many ways we are closer than we have ever been. We are parents first and foremost, to two incredibly wonderful children and we ask for their and our space and privacy to be respected at this difficult time. We have always conducted our relationship privately, and we hope that as we consciously uncouple and coparent, we will be able to continue in the same manner."
Conscious uncoupling has a different meaning for different couples, one of which can be interpreted as separating of a couple with the least emotional damage. Most couples who have children are the ones who opt for it. To spare the children of the negative effects that divorce brings, uncoupling is seen as an alternative. It is neither considered a legal separation nor a legal divorce.
The National Center for Health Statistics shows that 50 to 60 per cent of the couples opt for divorce. Now, people seem to looking for a separation which is kind and gentle on the children. Tammy Nelson, Ph. D. had said that conscious uncoupling has become a popular trend. She believes that despite a relationship coming to an end, in uncoupling, there is recognition that the relationship had a successful period as well.
A Columbia University study shows that in case of a divorce, the children are effected to a great extent, much into their adulthood and are at a high risk for depression, substance abuse and suicide attempts. The children develop poor interpersonal skills and garner the feeling of being unwanted. Another study by Public Health found that children of divorced families have a higher tendencies to pick up the ugly habit of smoking.
Jane Mauldon from the University of California has said that children from estranged families have a 35 per cent chance of developing health problems in comparison to 26 per cent in all the other children. The divorce can also result in loss of factors required for good health like constant adult supervision and a safe environment.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Maria Menounos Lost 40 Pounds; She Follows a Low Carb Vegetarian Diet, Her Weight Loss and Fitness Secrets Revealed
- 'Django Unchained' Actress Danielle Watts Mistaken As Prostitute And Arrested; Accused Police of Racism
- Airborne Version of Ebola Virus Could Wipe Out 1.2 Million; Aussie Doctor Appeals For Help
- A Wife's Happiness is More Crucial Than Her Husband's For a Long Lasting, Happy Marriage, Finds Study
- Justin Bieber Strips for Fashion Week, Flashes Six Pack Abs: His Diet and Workout Secrets
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date