Actress Gwyneth Paltrow's 'Uncoupling' With Coldplay Singer Chris Martin, Uncoupling Vs. Divorce, Effects of Divorce
By Afza Fathima | August 6, 2014 1:57 PM EST
Actress Gwyneth Paltrow said she and her husband, singer Chris Martin, have had a "conscious uncoupling" between them. They have two children and to reduce the negativity in their surroundings, decided to go in for conscious uncoupling instead.
Chris Martin of Coldplay performs at the MTV Video Music Awards Japan 2014 in Chiba, near Tokyo June 14, 2014.
The message on her lifestyle website, Goop, titled 'Conscious Uncoupling' went this way: "It is with hearts full of sadness that we have decided to separate. We have been working hard for well over a year, some of it together, some of it separated, to see what might have been possible between us, and we have come to the conclusion that while we love each other very much we will remain separate. We are, however, and always will be a family, and in many ways we are closer than we have ever been. We are parents first and foremost, to two incredibly wonderful children and we ask for their and our space and privacy to be respected at this difficult time. We have always conducted our relationship privately, and we hope that as we consciously uncouple and coparent, we will be able to continue in the same manner."
Conscious uncoupling has a different meaning for different couples, one of which can be interpreted as separating of a couple with the least emotional damage. Most couples who have children are the ones who opt for it. To spare the children of the negative effects that divorce brings, uncoupling is seen as an alternative. It is neither considered a legal separation nor a legal divorce.
The National Center for Health Statistics shows that 50 to 60 per cent of the couples opt for divorce. Now, people seem to looking for a separation which is kind and gentle on the children. Tammy Nelson, Ph. D. had said that conscious uncoupling has become a popular trend. She believes that despite a relationship coming to an end, in uncoupling, there is recognition that the relationship had a successful period as well.
A Columbia University study shows that in case of a divorce, the children are effected to a great extent, much into their adulthood and are at a high risk for depression, substance abuse and suicide attempts. The children develop poor interpersonal skills and garner the feeling of being unwanted. Another study by Public Health found that children of divorced families have a higher tendencies to pick up the ugly habit of smoking.
Jane Mauldon from the University of California has said that children from estranged families have a 35 per cent chance of developing health problems in comparison to 26 per cent in all the other children. The divorce can also result in loss of factors required for good health like constant adult supervision and a safe environment.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Spreads Through Red Cross Vaccine - Ghana Nurse ‘Testifies’; The Truth About Red Cross
- Ebola News Regarding Wortham's Kindergarterners Infected is False, Angry Reactions
- Ebola Outbreak Blamed on Infected Bushmeat; First Family to Catch Virus Hunted Bats
- Ebola Is Changing The Religious Landscape In West Africa
- Ebola Outbreak To Continue Until Effective Vaccine Surfaces; 120,000 Women To Die of Childbirth
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage