Kevin Durant Offered $30M/Year by Under Armour, Will OKC Star Leave Nike?
By Justin Noel Cudaihl | August 6, 2014 1:21 PM EST
Nike is one of the most established brands in the world of sports. But for $30 million, Kevin Durant, who is one of the faces of the league and one of its most marketable superstars, may likely leave them for another rising brand, Under Armour.
May 29, 2014; San Antonio, TX, USA; Oklahoma City Thunder forward Kevin Durant (35) shoots over San Antonio Spurs forward Tim Duncan (21) during the first half in game five of the Western Conference Finals of the 2014 NBA Playoffs at AT&T Center.
Durant’s previous seven-year $60M contract with Nike is expiring this 2014 which puts his endorsement fee of the sports brand at around $8.5M yearly.
Reports out of Maryland, the home state of the Oklahoma City Thunder forward and the headquarters of Under Armour, state that they are willing to give Durant $30M a year—a figure that could be hard to pass up even for a maximum salaried player like the OKC superstar.
“I’m just going to let my team be the ones who handle that behind the scenes, I guess,” Durant said to ESPN.COM. “When you look at stuff like that, it’s great problems to have because people want you for what you know and do on the basketball court, the work you put in, so I’m going to continue to put my work in, let them focus on that on the other end, and we’ll come together at some point.
Currently, Durant belongs to the Nike stable that features fellow NBA stars like LeBron James, Kobe Bryant, LaMarcus Aldridge, Marc Gasol, Paul George, James Harden and Kyrie Irving to name a few.
Under Armour is not popular as Nike or Adidas clearly but is understandable since they are relatively new in the sports market. Under their umbrella are NBA players Stephen Curry, Brandon Jennings, Greivis Vasquez and Kemba Walker among others.
Getting Kevin Durant won’t make Under Armour co-equals with sports brand giants Nike or Adidas immediately but it’s a good start in gaining some ground.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- Lamar Odom’s Hope Of Reuniting With Khloe Kardashian Crushed, ‘KUWTK’ Star Reportedly Dating Wiz Khalifa
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants