Android 4.4.2 KitKat Update Status for Sony Xperia SP, Xperia T, Xperia TX and Xperia V
By Ryan Inoyori | August 6, 2014 12:48 PM EST
Android KitKat updates are now rolling out for several Sony Xperia devices across the globe but Xperia SP, Xperia T, Xperia TX and Xperia V remains left out in the cold. Here are the status details for these mid-range smartphones according to support pages, official upgrade plans and PTCRB.
Sony Xperia SP
A new firmware is rolling out from T-Mobile continental Europe and Orange France users for Sony Xperia SP. However, it is still running Android 4.3 Jelly Bean based on the incremental numeral changes on the firmware build version from 12.1.A.1.205 to 12.1.A.1.207 confirmed by a list at PTCRB.
Official support page for Sony Xperia SP still tags the device as "under investigation" for Android 4.4 KitKat and its model name was not mentioned as well on the official upgrade plans by Sony Mobile. It is unknown whether the device will get another major update or will remain on Android Jelly Bean.
Software support for Sony Xperia SP is expected to expire on October 2014.
Sony Xperia T and Xperia TX
Sony Xperia T and Xperia TX run the same Android 4.3 Jelly Bean firmware having the build version 9.2.A.1.205. It is the second major firmware update received by the smartphone which originally runs Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich during the official release back in September 2012.
Xperia T received the Android 4.1 Jelly Bean in February 2013 but a month later for Xperia TX. Android 4.3 Jelly Bean update was released for both smartphones one year later and currently "under investigation" for Android 4.4 KitKat.
Software support expired in March 2014 for Xperia T and April 2014 for Xperia TX which is a significant reason why Sony Mobile can deny Android 4.4 KitKat update due to the 18-month support window period followed by manufacturers.
Sony Xperia V
Similar with Sony Xperia T and Xperia TX, Xperia V received two major firmware upgrades during its lifetime. Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich is the factory firmware found on Xperia V back in November 2012. It has received Android 4.1 Jelly Bean in January 2013 followed by Android 4.3 one month later.
Android 4.4 KitKat update is still "under investigation" similar with Sony Xperia SP and Xperia T/TX. PTCRB official firmware list carries the same build version 9.2.A.2.5 found on the official support page of Xperia V that brings enhancement on user experience, battery life and software performance improvements.
Software support for Sony Xperia V expired in June 2014 and like with Xperia SP, Sony Mobile did not include Xperia T, Xperia TX and Xperia V on the official Android 4.4 KitKat upgrade plan for the Q2 of 2014.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'Destiny' Third Subclass Weapon Upgrades: Super And Grenade Modifications Leaked [Video]
- 'The Sims 4' Official Mac Release: More Features Aside From Pools Expected To Be Included
- Motorola Nexus 6 vs. Sony Xperia Z3: Features On New Nexus To Match Latest Sony Phone
- Motorola Nexus 6 v HTC One M8, One M7: Reasons How New Nexus Can Match HTC Flagship Phones
- Motorola Nexus 6 vs. Samsung Galaxy S5: Practical Reasons Why Choose Latest Nexus Smartphone
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia
- Severe iPhone 6 Supply Shortage Will Last Until Q1 2015 as Apple Grapples to Meet Heavy Demand