Android 4.4.2 KitKat Update Status for Sony Xperia SP, Xperia T, Xperia TX and Xperia V
By Ryan Inoyori | August 6, 2014 12:48 PM EST
Android KitKat updates are now rolling out for several Sony Xperia devices across the globe but Xperia SP, Xperia T, Xperia TX and Xperia V remains left out in the cold. Here are the status details for these mid-range smartphones according to support pages, official upgrade plans and PTCRB.
Sony Xperia SP
A new firmware is rolling out from T-Mobile continental Europe and Orange France users for Sony Xperia SP. However, it is still running Android 4.3 Jelly Bean based on the incremental numeral changes on the firmware build version from 12.1.A.1.205 to 12.1.A.1.207 confirmed by a list at PTCRB.
Official support page for Sony Xperia SP still tags the device as "under investigation" for Android 4.4 KitKat and its model name was not mentioned as well on the official upgrade plans by Sony Mobile. It is unknown whether the device will get another major update or will remain on Android Jelly Bean.
Software support for Sony Xperia SP is expected to expire on October 2014.
Sony Xperia T and Xperia TX
Sony Xperia T and Xperia TX run the same Android 4.3 Jelly Bean firmware having the build version 9.2.A.1.205. It is the second major firmware update received by the smartphone which originally runs Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich during the official release back in September 2012.
Xperia T received the Android 4.1 Jelly Bean in February 2013 but a month later for Xperia TX. Android 4.3 Jelly Bean update was released for both smartphones one year later and currently "under investigation" for Android 4.4 KitKat.
Software support expired in March 2014 for Xperia T and April 2014 for Xperia TX which is a significant reason why Sony Mobile can deny Android 4.4 KitKat update due to the 18-month support window period followed by manufacturers.
Sony Xperia V
Similar with Sony Xperia T and Xperia TX, Xperia V received two major firmware upgrades during its lifetime. Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich is the factory firmware found on Xperia V back in November 2012. It has received Android 4.1 Jelly Bean in January 2013 followed by Android 4.3 one month later.
Android 4.4 KitKat update is still "under investigation" similar with Sony Xperia SP and Xperia T/TX. PTCRB official firmware list carries the same build version 9.2.A.2.5 found on the official support page of Xperia V that brings enhancement on user experience, battery life and software performance improvements.
Software support for Sony Xperia V expired in June 2014 and like with Xperia SP, Sony Mobile did not include Xperia T, Xperia TX and Xperia V on the official Android 4.4 KitKat upgrade plan for the Q2 of 2014.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
Join the Conversation
- Sony Xperia Z3, Z1, Z1 Compact And Z Ultra Latest Firmware 23.0.A.2.108 And 14.4.A.0.155 Certified
- Android 5.0 Lollipop For Sony Xperia Z Devices Arriving By 2015; Z Ultra GPE Update Confirmed In 2014
- 'World Of Warcraft' ‘The Iron Tide' 6.0.2 Patch Hotfixes Update Including New Resolved Issues Regarding Scenarios, Raids, Classes, Battlegrounds And Arenas
- Sony Xperia Z3 Launched In Japan Has 32 GB Storage Compared To 16 GB International Model
- How To Update LG Nexus 4 To Android 4.4.4 KitKat Using LiquidSmooth Custom ROM
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’