Canadian Eugenie Bouchard Disappoints at Home; Suffers Upset Loss to American Shelby Rogers in 2nd Round of 2014 Rogers Cup
By Justin Noel Cudaihl | August 6, 2014 11:48 AM EST
So much for the new Genie Army chant—it didn’t work in this particular WTA tournament. Canada’s Eugenie Bouchard, who is touted as the next big thing in women’s tennis, came up way short in the second round of the 2014 Rogers Cup in Montreal, Canada falling to American Shelby Rogers, in three sets 6-0, 2-6, 6-0.
Eugenie Bouchard of Canada reacts after defeating Alize Cornet of France in their women's singles tennis match at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships, in London June 30, 2014.
Bouchard's game was completely off in this one suffering six double-faults in the match against Rogers’ Shelby's two. The American was also aggressive and efficient with her first serve at 28/41 or 68%.
It was indeed a bad result for Bouchard who fell to Rogers, a wildcard qualifier in this event, for the second time in two career meetings. Rogers defeated Bouchard, 6-4, 1-6, 6-3 in 2011
Both competitors are in their early 20s—Rogers at 21 years old and Bouchard at 20 years old—but it was the Canadian who was the big favourite to win the match being ranked 8th in the world as opposed to Rogers, who was ranked 113th entering this match.
The disappointing loss should put a stop on Bouchard’s hype machine-- at least until the next WTA tournament.
The Genie Army—avid fans of Bouchard-- took to Twitter to share their disappointment with their fallen idol:
Seeing Eugenie Bouchard get eliminated is too much.
— SharksTank (@SharksTank) August 6, 2014
Shelby Rogers shocks Montreal's Eugenie Bouchard, 6-0, 2-6, 6-0. Crowd stunned, in near total silence throughout 3rd set. — TENNIS.com (@Tennis) August 6, 2014
Breaking News: Three Rogers Cup organizers rushed to hospital after Eugenie Bouchard's performance gives them a heart attack.
— Sid Seixeiro (@Sid_Seixeiro) August 6, 2014
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge Battery Life Test Shows Its Curved Display And Build Has Impacted Its Battery Performance