Canadian Eugenie Bouchard Disappoints at Home; Suffers Upset Loss to American Shelby Rogers in 2nd Round of 2014 Rogers Cup
By Justin Noel Cudaihl | August 6, 2014 11:48 AM EST
So much for the new Genie Army chant—it didn’t work in this particular WTA tournament. Canada’s Eugenie Bouchard, who is touted as the next big thing in women’s tennis, came up way short in the second round of the 2014 Rogers Cup in Montreal, Canada falling to American Shelby Rogers, in three sets 6-0, 2-6, 6-0.
Eugenie Bouchard of Canada reacts after defeating Alize Cornet of France in their women's singles tennis match at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships, in London June 30, 2014.
Bouchard's game was completely off in this one suffering six double-faults in the match against Rogers’ Shelby's two. The American was also aggressive and efficient with her first serve at 28/41 or 68%.
It was indeed a bad result for Bouchard who fell to Rogers, a wildcard qualifier in this event, for the second time in two career meetings. Rogers defeated Bouchard, 6-4, 1-6, 6-3 in 2011
Both competitors are in their early 20s—Rogers at 21 years old and Bouchard at 20 years old—but it was the Canadian who was the big favourite to win the match being ranked 8th in the world as opposed to Rogers, who was ranked 113th entering this match.
The disappointing loss should put a stop on Bouchard’s hype machine-- at least until the next WTA tournament.
The Genie Army—avid fans of Bouchard-- took to Twitter to share their disappointment with their fallen idol:
Seeing Eugenie Bouchard get eliminated is too much.
— SharksTank (@SharksTank) August 6, 2014
Shelby Rogers shocks Montreal's Eugenie Bouchard, 6-0, 2-6, 6-0. Crowd stunned, in near total silence throughout 3rd set. — TENNIS.com (@Tennis) August 6, 2014
Breaking News: Three Rogers Cup organizers rushed to hospital after Eugenie Bouchard's performance gives them a heart attack.
— Sid Seixeiro (@Sid_Seixeiro) August 6, 2014
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports