3,500 Mining Jobs Lost as Bluestone Global Goes into Administration
By Vittorio Hernandez | August 6, 2014 9:12 AM EST
About 3,500 mining jobs would be lost, following the going into administration of Australian miner Bluestone Global. The company, listed in the Australian Stock Exchange, said in a statement on Tuesday that it failed to secure shareholder support to fix its balance sheet by merging with other companies.
Miners walk towards a mine to take part in search and rescue operation for their colleagues trapped in a coal mine after a mining disaster in Soma, a district in Turkey's western province of Manisa May 16, 2014. The operator of a Turkish mine in which 284 people died this week and 18 remain trapped said on Friday the exact cause of a fire was still unclear but that a build-up of heat had caused a partial collapse in the plant. Rescuers were still trying to reach parts of the coal mine in Soma, 480 km (300 miles) southwest of Istanbul, three days after a fire knocked out power and shut down the ventilation shafts and elevators, trapping hundreds underground in Turkey's worst ever mining disaster. REUTERS/Stringer
The majority of its subsidiaries, such as hire firm Resco which provides mining services in the New South Wales Hunter Valley region, would be liquidated.
Craig Shepard, the appointed liquidator, said it is trying to find new work for the affected 3,500 contract workers and 180 full-time employees of Bluestone Global and its subsidiaries. He said the nature of the on-hire employment contracts of the 3,500 would make it easier for them to be re-engaged to perform the same tasks.
KordaMentha, the appointed administrator, said it is working on the payment of all affected workers' entitlements such as unpaid salaries and mandated severance payments. Prior to Bluestone's going into administration, it had a market value of about $5 million.
The administrator had struck a deal on Tuesday with Skilled Engineering and WorkPac to provide employment to 95 per cent of 450 ResCo jobs.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports