Pacific Rim 2 Update: Charlie Hunnam Reprising His Role as Raleigh, Guillermo del Toro Reveals Favorite Character
By Riza Ornos | August 6, 2014 8:56 AM EST
Reprising his role as Raleigh in "Pacific Rim" sequel, Charlie Hunnam is scheduled to reunite with his "Crimson Peak" director Guillermo del Toro. The Mexican director revealed recently at the Comic Con International in San Diego his plans with Hunnam's character and his favorite character out of his many movies.
Cast member Charlie Hunnam speaks at a panel for the television series ''Sons of Anarchy'' during the FX portion of the Television Critics Association Summer press tour in Beverly Hills, California August 2, 2013.
"To me, my favorite character in many ways is Mako Mori in "Pacific Rim," said del Toro to Hero Complex in an interview posted on LA Times. "I just love it. It's an experience that you can't get any other way."
Played by Rinko Kikuchi, Mako Mori is a ranger in training and Raleigh's co-pilot of Gipsy Danger. Now working on the movie's sequel, del Toro said that he will start writing the script with his co-writer Zak Penn and plans to film the movie in different locations in the world.
Planning to have more location-oriented stuff, the controversial filmmaker is featuring night and daylight battles for sequel of the movie. He also assures fans that the action scenes from the first movie is very different for the second one, which gives him more reason to broaden his film locations.
The renowned writer and director also revealed that it took them nine months to design "Pacific Rim" and is projecting that it would take him nine months or more to write its sequel. "We start scouting for the movie in the summer next year, July, and then we start shooting in November," added the director. "Then it's a long year of post after we wrap and we'll probably be showing the movie in January/February 2017 to test audiences."
Since Charlie Hunnam's character Raleigh has come full circle when he sacrificed himself to save Mako, the "Hellboy" director plans a different path for the movie's lead star. With the expanding mythology of the Anteverse, Raleigh will be taking a different path, a journey for him to discover himself and things he is capable of.
"I'm interested to see what the period of peace after the war looks like, and what these guys do, and how the world would react," said the "Sons of Anarchy" star when he was asked about his own idea for the "Pacific Rim 2." "One of the things I love most about 'Pac Rim' was the idea that we all kind of dropped our petty differences to fight the monsters at our door, literally."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt Photographed Fighting Before ‘Unbroken’ Sydney Premiere – Report [VIDEO]
- 'NCIS Los Angeles' Season 6 Recap: Episode 9 'Traitor' Aired On Nov. 24, 2014, The Hunt For The ‘NCIS LA’ Mole Is Over [WATCH VIDEOS]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 26 Spoilers: Victoria Finds Who The Father Of Her Child Is And Jack And Phyllis Rekindle Romance
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season7, Episode 12 Spoilers: Thanksgiving Break, SAMCRO Returns In December [VIDEO]
- 'Glee' Season 6 Spoilers, Air Date: Naya Rivera Teases Wedding In Final Chapter, Lea Michele Tweets 700th Song Number
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around