Pacific Rim 2 Update: Charlie Hunnam Reprising His Role as Raleigh, Guillermo del Toro Reveals Favorite Character
By Riza Ornos | August 6, 2014 8:56 AM EST
Reprising his role as Raleigh in "Pacific Rim" sequel, Charlie Hunnam is scheduled to reunite with his "Crimson Peak" director Guillermo del Toro. The Mexican director revealed recently at the Comic Con International in San Diego his plans with Hunnam's character and his favorite character out of his many movies.
Cast member Charlie Hunnam speaks at a panel for the television series ''Sons of Anarchy'' during the FX portion of the Television Critics Association Summer press tour in Beverly Hills, California August 2, 2013.
"To me, my favorite character in many ways is Mako Mori in "Pacific Rim," said del Toro to Hero Complex in an interview posted on LA Times. "I just love it. It's an experience that you can't get any other way."
Played by Rinko Kikuchi, Mako Mori is a ranger in training and Raleigh's co-pilot of Gipsy Danger. Now working on the movie's sequel, del Toro said that he will start writing the script with his co-writer Zak Penn and plans to film the movie in different locations in the world.
Planning to have more location-oriented stuff, the controversial filmmaker is featuring night and daylight battles for sequel of the movie. He also assures fans that the action scenes from the first movie is very different for the second one, which gives him more reason to broaden his film locations.
The renowned writer and director also revealed that it took them nine months to design "Pacific Rim" and is projecting that it would take him nine months or more to write its sequel. "We start scouting for the movie in the summer next year, July, and then we start shooting in November," added the director. "Then it's a long year of post after we wrap and we'll probably be showing the movie in January/February 2017 to test audiences."
Since Charlie Hunnam's character Raleigh has come full circle when he sacrificed himself to save Mako, the "Hellboy" director plans a different path for the movie's lead star. With the expanding mythology of the Anteverse, Raleigh will be taking a different path, a journey for him to discover himself and things he is capable of.
"I'm interested to see what the period of peace after the war looks like, and what these guys do, and how the world would react," said the "Sons of Anarchy" star when he was asked about his own idea for the "Pacific Rim 2." "One of the things I love most about 'Pac Rim' was the idea that we all kind of dropped our petty differences to fight the monsters at our door, literally."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron' Teaser Trailer: Fans' Cry At ‘Epic’ Footage, Vision Not Featured
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’