Roger Federer Will be Without Main Coach in Toronto; Stefan Edberg to Step Up
By Justin Noel Cudaihl | August 6, 2014 12:07 AM EST
Roger Federer will be without his main coach Severin Luthi during his stint in the 2014 Rogers Cup in Toronto set from. On the sidelines as Federer’s coach will be compatriot Stefan Edberg, who himself is a six-time Grand Slam champion.
Roger Federer of Switzerland reacts during his men's singles final tennis match against Novak Djokovic of Serbia at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships, in London July 6, 2014.
Edberg was tapped to be part of the Federer’s team just last December 2013 and the 48-year-old Swiss believes he will do well as Federer’s coach at least in the Toronto tilt.
"I'm here on my own this week and I think I'm coming with the few ideas how he can handle different things, maybe technically and a few small things," Edberg said via The Local. "I can't make that much of a difference, but a little bit of a difference I think I can make. It has been good so far.”
Edberg also talked about Federer’s near-win at the All-England Club where the Swiss Master lost a five-set final to Serbian Novak Djokovic missing out on the 2014 Wimbledon title and what could have been his 18th Grand Slam title.
Edberg remains positive that his ward can achieve more things despite losing ground the past couple of years. Edberg describes the Toronto tournament as an “important week” and the team is using it as warm-up event in preparation for the bigger 2014 US Open.
Federer won the Rogers Cup 2006 and 2004 editions while Djokovic won in 2007, 2011 and 2012. Rafael Nadal, who won in 2005, 2008 and 2013 will not be able to defend his title because of a wrist injury.
Federer and Djokovic are joined as top seeds by Andy Murray (Great Britain), Stan Wawrinka (Switzerland), Grigor Dimitrov (Bulgaria), Milos Raonic (Canada), Tomas Berdych (Czech Republic) and David Ferrer (Spain) who all have earned a first-round bye.
Federer will open the Canadian campaign versus local bet Peter Polansky on Wednesday, August 6 starting at 9am AEDT.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories