‘The X Factor New Zealand’ 2nd Season Gets Green Light, Thanks to NZ on Air $800K Funding
By Anne Lu | August 5, 2014 5:22 PM EST
“The X Factor New Zealand” will be a go, thanks to the $800,000 funding by NZ on Air. A second season of the reality competition show will get 32 episodes for a new season in 2015.
The broadcast funding agency confirmed that it has covered a fraction of the show’s cost so it can produce another season. However, it would be the last time it would assist with the funding.
“It was the same arrangement NZ on Air had with “NZ’s Got Talent” (which screened on TV1), so we think we’re being fair to both networks,” a spokeswoman was quoted by the Fairfax Media as saying, referring to another reality show that was aired for three seasons, the latest one was in 2013.
The rep added that “The X Factor NZ” has qualified for funding under the agency’s Arts, Culture and Performance strand.
“The format gives a host of new and emerging talent a national audience. These are massive undertakings. Broadcasters cannot recoup enough advertising revenue from the show to cover the cost of production without NZ on Air’s minority investment.”
The first season of the show also received funding from NZ on Air amounting to $1.6 million.
For the 2013 show, Melanie Blatt, Daniel Bedingfield, Ruby Frost and Stan Walker presided at the judges’ table. For the upcoming season, however, it is still unclear if they would return.
The previous season also saw 22-year-old Jackie Thomas as the winner, with Whenua Patuwai and Benny Tipene as runner-ups.
Dominic Bowden hosted the show. It’s also unknown if he would be presenting the second series.
“The X Factor NZ” will be co-produced by MediaWorks and FremantleMedia Australia.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 2 Major Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Strangers’
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Grand Final Sing-Off: Marlisa Punzalan, Dean Ray and Brothers 3 [VIDEOS]
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Winner is Marlisa Punzalan; Dean Ray Finishes as Runner-Up [VIDEOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Promo, Spoilers: Find Out What Happens In ‘Four Walls And A Roof’
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’: Blake And Louise Tell The True Story
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage