‘The X Factor New Zealand’ 2nd Season Gets Green Light, Thanks to NZ on Air $800K Funding
By Anne Lu | August 5, 2014 5:22 PM EST
“The X Factor New Zealand” will be a go, thanks to the $800,000 funding by NZ on Air. A second season of the reality competition show will get 32 episodes for a new season in 2015.
The broadcast funding agency confirmed that it has covered a fraction of the show’s cost so it can produce another season. However, it would be the last time it would assist with the funding.
“It was the same arrangement NZ on Air had with “NZ’s Got Talent” (which screened on TV1), so we think we’re being fair to both networks,” a spokeswoman was quoted by the Fairfax Media as saying, referring to another reality show that was aired for three seasons, the latest one was in 2013.
The rep added that “The X Factor NZ” has qualified for funding under the agency’s Arts, Culture and Performance strand.
“The format gives a host of new and emerging talent a national audience. These are massive undertakings. Broadcasters cannot recoup enough advertising revenue from the show to cover the cost of production without NZ on Air’s minority investment.”
The first season of the show also received funding from NZ on Air amounting to $1.6 million.
For the 2013 show, Melanie Blatt, Daniel Bedingfield, Ruby Frost and Stan Walker presided at the judges’ table. For the upcoming season, however, it is still unclear if they would return.
The previous season also saw 22-year-old Jackie Thomas as the winner, with Whenua Patuwai and Benny Tipene as runner-ups.
Dominic Bowden hosted the show. It’s also unknown if he would be presenting the second series.
“The X Factor NZ” will be co-produced by MediaWorks and FremantleMedia Australia.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Oct. 27-31, 2014: As Halloween Draws Near, Forrester Creations Will Reel From Eric's Shocking Decision And The Rest Will Scramble To Make Their Plans Successful [WATCH VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS