‘The X Factor New Zealand’ 2nd Season Gets Green Light, Thanks to NZ on Air $800K Funding
By Anne Lu | August 5, 2014 5:22 PM EST
“The X Factor New Zealand” will be a go, thanks to the $800,000 funding by NZ on Air. A second season of the reality competition show will get 32 episodes for a new season in 2015.
The broadcast funding agency confirmed that it has covered a fraction of the show’s cost so it can produce another season. However, it would be the last time it would assist with the funding.
“It was the same arrangement NZ on Air had with “NZ’s Got Talent” (which screened on TV1), so we think we’re being fair to both networks,” a spokeswoman was quoted by the Fairfax Media as saying, referring to another reality show that was aired for three seasons, the latest one was in 2013.
The rep added that “The X Factor NZ” has qualified for funding under the agency’s Arts, Culture and Performance strand.
“The format gives a host of new and emerging talent a national audience. These are massive undertakings. Broadcasters cannot recoup enough advertising revenue from the show to cover the cost of production without NZ on Air’s minority investment.”
The first season of the show also received funding from NZ on Air amounting to $1.6 million.
For the 2013 show, Melanie Blatt, Daniel Bedingfield, Ruby Frost and Stan Walker presided at the judges’ table. For the upcoming season, however, it is still unclear if they would return.
The previous season also saw 22-year-old Jackie Thomas as the winner, with Whenua Patuwai and Benny Tipene as runner-ups.
Dominic Bowden hosted the show. It’s also unknown if he would be presenting the second series.
“The X Factor NZ” will be co-produced by MediaWorks and FremantleMedia Australia.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘America’s Got Talent’ (AGT) Season 9 (2014) Finale Performance Episode Recap, Spoilers: 6 Finalists Perform Their Last Acts To Win Finals
- ‘Dancing With The Stars’ (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Winner Predictions: Fellow Contestants And Betting Odds Predict Who Could Win Mirror Ball Trophy
- ‘American Horror Story’ Season 4 ‘Freak Show’ Update: Skyler Samuels Roped In To Play Pivotal Role, Extended Teaser Released [VIDEO]
- Robert Pattinson And FKA Twigs Romance: Singer’s Twitter Post Sparks Pregnancy Reports Speculating The Couple Is Expecting Their First Baby
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’ Season 8 Spoilers: Nine Moments From Episode 1, The Locomotion Interruption
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers