Rod Laver’s Autobiography Released, Roger Federer Writes the Foreword
By Dana Alyssa Ramos | August 5, 2014 5:12 PM EST
Before Roger Federer came to the scene, Rod Laver was considered as the greatest of all time in the men's tennis game. The former professional tennis superstar is the only player to win the calendar Grand Slam twice in his career and up to this date, the Australian holds the record for the most titles won in the history of tennis, with 200 career titles. Now, Roger Federer, with his 17 Grand Slam titles, he is considered by many as the greatest of all time.
Roger Federer of Switzerland wipes his face during a training session ahead of the Wimbledon Tennis Championships in London June 22, 2014.
Apart from that, the world's no. 3 gained tremendous amount of respect for the game's traditions and legendary players. It's no surprise that the Swiss player willingly agreed to write the foreword to the new updated version of Laver's autobiography.
Federer who was defeated by Novak Djokovic in the Wimbledon finals in a five-set thriller, will be seen on action at the Rogers Cup in Toronto starting Monday. On the other hand, with Rafael Nadal's participation at the U.S. Open on jeopardy due to a serious wrist injury, the world's no. 3 has a chance to reclaim his world no. 2 ranking.
The 32-year old has a bye in the first round and could meet the former Wimbledon semi-finalist Jerzy Janowicz in the second round, with Marin Cilic and Milos Roanic also looming ahead as potential opponents.
Meanwhile, the 17-time Grand Slam winner said via Toronto Sun that he wants to take a backseat to tennis' rising stars. When asked if he's excited to get back to court after his months long vacation with his family, he replied, "That's the least important thing, to be honest ... for those who have kids, they'll know what I'm talking about," the Swiss great said at the time."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around