Rod Laver’s Autobiography Released, Roger Federer Writes the Foreword
By Dana Alyssa Ramos | August 5, 2014 5:12 PM EST
Before Roger Federer came to the scene, Rod Laver was considered as the greatest of all time in the men's tennis game. The former professional tennis superstar is the only player to win the calendar Grand Slam twice in his career and up to this date, the Australian holds the record for the most titles won in the history of tennis, with 200 career titles. Now, Roger Federer, with his 17 Grand Slam titles, he is considered by many as the greatest of all time.
Roger Federer of Switzerland wipes his face during a training session ahead of the Wimbledon Tennis Championships in London June 22, 2014.
Apart from that, the world's no. 3 gained tremendous amount of respect for the game's traditions and legendary players. It's no surprise that the Swiss player willingly agreed to write the foreword to the new updated version of Laver's autobiography.
Federer who was defeated by Novak Djokovic in the Wimbledon finals in a five-set thriller, will be seen on action at the Rogers Cup in Toronto starting Monday. On the other hand, with Rafael Nadal's participation at the U.S. Open on jeopardy due to a serious wrist injury, the world's no. 3 has a chance to reclaim his world no. 2 ranking.
The 32-year old has a bye in the first round and could meet the former Wimbledon semi-finalist Jerzy Janowicz in the second round, with Marin Cilic and Milos Roanic also looming ahead as potential opponents.
Meanwhile, the 17-time Grand Slam winner said via Toronto Sun that he wants to take a backseat to tennis' rising stars. When asked if he's excited to get back to court after his months long vacation with his family, he replied, "That's the least important thing, to be honest ... for those who have kids, they'll know what I'm talking about," the Swiss great said at the time."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage