Rod Laver’s Autobiography Released, Roger Federer Writes the Foreword
By Dana Alyssa Ramos | August 5, 2014 5:12 PM EST
Before Roger Federer came to the scene, Rod Laver was considered as the greatest of all time in the men's tennis game. The former professional tennis superstar is the only player to win the calendar Grand Slam twice in his career and up to this date, the Australian holds the record for the most titles won in the history of tennis, with 200 career titles. Now, Roger Federer, with his 17 Grand Slam titles, he is considered by many as the greatest of all time.
Roger Federer of Switzerland wipes his face during a training session ahead of the Wimbledon Tennis Championships in London June 22, 2014.
Apart from that, the world's no. 3 gained tremendous amount of respect for the game's traditions and legendary players. It's no surprise that the Swiss player willingly agreed to write the foreword to the new updated version of Laver's autobiography.
Federer who was defeated by Novak Djokovic in the Wimbledon finals in a five-set thriller, will be seen on action at the Rogers Cup in Toronto starting Monday. On the other hand, with Rafael Nadal's participation at the U.S. Open on jeopardy due to a serious wrist injury, the world's no. 3 has a chance to reclaim his world no. 2 ranking.
The 32-year old has a bye in the first round and could meet the former Wimbledon semi-finalist Jerzy Janowicz in the second round, with Marin Cilic and Milos Roanic also looming ahead as potential opponents.
Meanwhile, the 17-time Grand Slam winner said via Toronto Sun that he wants to take a backseat to tennis' rising stars. When asked if he's excited to get back to court after his months long vacation with his family, he replied, "That's the least important thing, to be honest ... for those who have kids, they'll know what I'm talking about," the Swiss great said at the time."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2