Rod Laver’s Autobiography Released, Roger Federer Writes the Foreword
By Dana Alyssa Ramos | August 5, 2014 5:12 PM EST
Before Roger Federer came to the scene, Rod Laver was considered as the greatest of all time in the men's tennis game. The former professional tennis superstar is the only player to win the calendar Grand Slam twice in his career and up to this date, the Australian holds the record for the most titles won in the history of tennis, with 200 career titles. Now, Roger Federer, with his 17 Grand Slam titles, he is considered by many as the greatest of all time.
Roger Federer of Switzerland wipes his face during a training session ahead of the Wimbledon Tennis Championships in London June 22, 2014.
Apart from that, the world's no. 3 gained tremendous amount of respect for the game's traditions and legendary players. It's no surprise that the Swiss player willingly agreed to write the foreword to the new updated version of Laver's autobiography.
Federer who was defeated by Novak Djokovic in the Wimbledon finals in a five-set thriller, will be seen on action at the Rogers Cup in Toronto starting Monday. On the other hand, with Rafael Nadal's participation at the U.S. Open on jeopardy due to a serious wrist injury, the world's no. 3 has a chance to reclaim his world no. 2 ranking.
The 32-year old has a bye in the first round and could meet the former Wimbledon semi-finalist Jerzy Janowicz in the second round, with Marin Cilic and Milos Roanic also looming ahead as potential opponents.
Meanwhile, the 17-time Grand Slam winner said via Toronto Sun that he wants to take a backseat to tennis' rising stars. When asked if he's excited to get back to court after his months long vacation with his family, he replied, "That's the least important thing, to be honest ... for those who have kids, they'll know what I'm talking about," the Swiss great said at the time."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Serena Williams Swagger Back After US Open - Mark Hodgkinson
- Manny Pacquiao Is The Greatest Fighter That Ever Lived Declares Magician David Blaine
- Evander Holyfield Says That He Didn’t Make Comments About Floyd Mayweather Fighting With Manny Pacquiao
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best