Android 4.4.2, 4.4.3, 4.4.4 KitKat Status: Sony Xperia Z Series and Latest Mid-range Devices
By Ryan Inoyori | August 5, 2014 4:37 PM EST
Sony Mobile is rolling out Android KitKat update for several Xperia devices worldwide. Know which version is currently available on Xperia Z2, Xperia Z2 Ultra, Xperia Z1, Xperia Z1 Compact, Xperia Z Ultra, Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR, Xperia Tablet Z, Xperia T2, Xperia M2 and Xperia E1.
Android 4.4.2 KitKat Version
It is currently available on Sony Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR, Xperia Tablet Z and Xperia T2 Ultra and T2 Ultra Dual. PTCRB certified an Android 4.4.2 KitKat firmware for Sony Xperia E1 and Xperia E1 Dual. Here are the official changes provided by the new software:
- Android 4.4.2 KitKat standard features and enhancements.
- Sony PlayStation 4 user interfaces for launch animation and new live wallpaper for home and lock screens.
- Redesigned Status Bar and Quick Settings.
- Updates on several Sony native and multimedia apps.
- Improvements on Smart Social Camera app.
- Creative Effect featured on selected Xperia models.
- Xperia Themes feature.
- Compatibility with SmartWear Experience.
Android 4.4.3 KitKat Version
Users of Sony Xperia running the branded stock ROM with Xperia Home UI are fortunate that the company decided to skip over Android 4.4.3 KitKat in favour of the latest Android 4.4.4 version which contains the necessary security patches from Google that fixes the OpenSSL vulnerability related to Heartbleed bug.
Android 4.4.3 KitKat rolled out on Sony Xperia Z Ultra Google Play Edition which runs the vanilla user interface of Android according to reports from XperiaBlog.
Android 4.4.4 KitKat Version
Certain Xperia smartphones have skipped Android 4.4.3 and receive the Android 4.4.4 KitKat recently. It is currently available for Sony Xperia Z1, Xperia Z Ultra and Xperia Z1 Compact that offers the following changes and features:
- Android 4.4.4 including the latest enhancements and security updates from Google.
- Updated and improved camera experience.
- Improvements to Google voice, Contacts, Music streaming and Google+.
- Latest versions of Sony native and multimedia apps.
- Latest bug fixes, optimisations and improvements.
Android 4.4.4 KitKat schedule has not been released yet for Sony Xperia Z2, Xperia Z2 Tablet, Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR and Xperia Tablet Z. Xperia M2 and M2 Dual are both included on the official Android KitKat upgrade plans by Sony Mobile.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire’ Confirmed With Demo, More Info Revealed
- ‘Minecraft PS Vita,’ PS4 And Xbox One Updates And More On The Microsoft Deal
- 'Dragon Age Inquisition': Three Classes Confirmed—Warrior, Mage And Rogue Abilities Exposed
- 'The Sims 4' Mods: Buff Emotion Changes, Pay Very Low Bills And Enable Advanced Debug For Cheats
- iPhone 6 Plus Sold Out Apple Store Crash Due to Pre-orders: Where to Place Your Orders and the Packages Offered in the US and UK
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date