Android 4.4.2, 4.4.3, 4.4.4 KitKat Status: Sony Xperia Z Series and Latest Mid-range Devices
By Ryan Inoyori | August 5, 2014 4:37 PM EST
Sony Mobile is rolling out Android KitKat update for several Xperia devices worldwide. Know which version is currently available on Xperia Z2, Xperia Z2 Ultra, Xperia Z1, Xperia Z1 Compact, Xperia Z Ultra, Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR, Xperia Tablet Z, Xperia T2, Xperia M2 and Xperia E1.
Android 4.4.2 KitKat Version
It is currently available on Sony Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR, Xperia Tablet Z and Xperia T2 Ultra and T2 Ultra Dual. PTCRB certified an Android 4.4.2 KitKat firmware for Sony Xperia E1 and Xperia E1 Dual. Here are the official changes provided by the new software:
- Android 4.4.2 KitKat standard features and enhancements.
- Sony PlayStation 4 user interfaces for launch animation and new live wallpaper for home and lock screens.
- Redesigned Status Bar and Quick Settings.
- Updates on several Sony native and multimedia apps.
- Improvements on Smart Social Camera app.
- Creative Effect featured on selected Xperia models.
- Xperia Themes feature.
- Compatibility with SmartWear Experience.
Android 4.4.3 KitKat Version
Users of Sony Xperia running the branded stock ROM with Xperia Home UI are fortunate that the company decided to skip over Android 4.4.3 KitKat in favour of the latest Android 4.4.4 version which contains the necessary security patches from Google that fixes the OpenSSL vulnerability related to Heartbleed bug.
Android 4.4.3 KitKat rolled out on Sony Xperia Z Ultra Google Play Edition which runs the vanilla user interface of Android according to reports from XperiaBlog.
Android 4.4.4 KitKat Version
Certain Xperia smartphones have skipped Android 4.4.3 and receive the Android 4.4.4 KitKat recently. It is currently available for Sony Xperia Z1, Xperia Z Ultra and Xperia Z1 Compact that offers the following changes and features:
- Android 4.4.4 including the latest enhancements and security updates from Google.
- Updated and improved camera experience.
- Improvements to Google voice, Contacts, Music streaming and Google+.
- Latest versions of Sony native and multimedia apps.
- Latest bug fixes, optimisations and improvements.
Android 4.4.4 KitKat schedule has not been released yet for Sony Xperia Z2, Xperia Z2 Tablet, Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR and Xperia Tablet Z. Xperia M2 and M2 Dual are both included on the official Android KitKat upgrade plans by Sony Mobile.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'Dragon Age Keep' Guide: How To Use And Set Up Background Story For 'Dragon Age Inquisition'
- Google Nexus 6 Sold-Out Inventory: Android 5.0, Motorola-Nexus Branding, Network Carriers, Competitive Price
- ‘Destiny': Apocalypse-Themed Sparrows, Pumpkin Head Weapons As Contents For Halloween
- The Xperia Z3: A Review On Sony’s New Flagship
- Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Developer Edition Now Available At $699.99, Without Instalment Plan Options
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2