Casualty of EU Sanctions: Low-cost Russia Airline to Suspend Services; Russia Counters, to Ban European Carriers from Airspace
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | August 5, 2014 3:34 PM EST
Dobrolyot Airline, the low-cost subsidiary of Russian flag carrier Aeroflot, has become the first casualty of the sanctions the European Union slapped against President Vladimir Putin and his country.
REUTERS/Alexei Druzhinin/RIA N
Russia's President Vladimir Putin chairs a meeting at the Novo-Ogaryovo state residence outside Moscow July 17, 2014. REUTERS/Alexei Druzhinin/RIA Novosti/Kremlin (RUSSIA - Tags: POLITICS) ATTENTION EDITORS - THIS IMAGE HAS BEEN SUPPLIED BY A THIRD PARTY. IT IS DISTRIBUTED, EXACTLY AS RECEIVED BY REUTERS, AS A SERVICE TO CLIENTS
In response, Russia is now mulling to ban European carriers from accessing its airspace.
The new discount airline Dobrolyot, which had its maiden voyage only in June, announced over the weekend it is suspending all flights due to the EU sanctions. The stoppage took effect on Aug 4.
"Following cancellation of a lease agreement for Boeing 737-800 planes because of sanctions introduced by the EU against Dobrolyot, we are forced to temporarily halt flights on all routes as of Aug. 4," Reuters quoted the company as saying on its website.
But the sanctions against Dobrolyot may also put a strain on U.S. aviation giant Boeing which supplied its new twin-engine 737-800 jets. An unidentified number of new 737 passenger jets were reportedly expected for delivery later this year.
The airline stressed the conditions of unprecedented pressure exerted on Dobrolyot from European contractors ultimately forced it to suspend flights and ticket sales.
Dobrolyot got included in the expanded list of sanctions the EU slapped against Russia, which involved 95 people and 23 organisations. These were subject to travel bans and asset freezes.
Dobrolyot said affected passengers would receive a refund. It will also assist passengers should they opt to rebook with other airlines.
"Flights on other routes are temporarily cancelled. Passengers will get a full refund of the ticket price," it added.
Partly owned by the state, Dobrolyot said it had been refused by European firms services such as flight information, repair and maintenance.
Apart from the aviation sector, the EU also targeted Russia's banking, defence and energy sectors in its expanded list of sanctions.
Dobrolyot had its maiden flight to Simferopol in June. It flies to seven other cities in Russia using Boeing 737 aircraft and had expansion plans for other destinations.
It got included on the sanctions list because of its direct flights from Moscow to Crimea, the Ukrainian region on the Black Sea that Russia invaded early in 2014.
Dobrolyot's shutdown will most definitely be addressed by Russia. Portal eturbonews, citing an unidentified source close to the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, said any "unfriendly EU measures" will be "studied" and "will not go unanswered."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Economic Growth In US And Sub-Saharan Africa Allay 2015 Recession Fears
- Travel Alert: Over 200 Canadians Infected with Mosquito-Borne Chikungunya Virus
- Canadian Ebola Drug: Tekmira Firm Starts Limited Manufacturing of Vaccine, Available By December; Shares Up
- US Dedicates 5 Airports for Travellers From Ebola-Stricken Nations, Lawmakers Want Travel Ban
- WHO Races to Release Ebola Serum in 2 Weeks, Vaccines in January
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related