IOC Plans for a Digital Olympic Network in 2015; Channel Seven Gets Olympics Broadcasting Rights in Australia
By Justin Noel Cudaihl | August 5, 2014 1:24 PM EST
The International Olympic Committee (IOC) is planning to launch a digital Olympic network starting in 2015 in a move that will put the Olympic Games coverage to the forefront in the competitive online market for sports even as Channel Seven in Australia gets the broadcast rights for future Olympic events in the next few years.
According the Sports Business Journal, the IOC “could launch a digital, Olympic network as early as next year” and the organization will invest more than $100 million to “create a channel that provides a mixture of on-demand and live programming of Olympic sports.
"[IOC] would make the initial investment in starting the channel,” said IOC TV managing director Timo Lumme. “The focus on the channel initially will be on building an asset, not generating revenue."
Lumme added that eventually the Olympic body will tap corporate partners and sponsors for future programming and broadcast of the games.
The IOC looks to replicate the success of online outfits such as Netflix, Hulu and some which rather than secure subscription fees via cable distributors produces profits from the applications on tablets and other gadgets.
In related news, the IOC has awarded Seven West Media Ltd. (Channel Seven) the Olympics broadcast rights in Australia for the 2014 Youth Olympic Games (Nanjing); 2016 Olympic Games (Rio de Janeiro); 2018 Winter Olympics (PyeongChang); and 2020 Olympic Games (Tokyo).
“We are delighted that we will work with Seven until at least 2020. The IOC enjoys long term partnerships and this agreement is something of a homecoming between us and Seven.” said IOC President Thomas Bach in the official IOC website.
Tim Worner is also excited about the extended partnership between Channel Seven and the International Olympic Committee saying that part of their commitment is to give the Australian public the best free-to-air TV of future Olympic games.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- Lamar Odom’s Hope Of Reuniting With Khloe Kardashian Crushed, ‘KUWTK’ Star Reportedly Dating Wiz Khalifa
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’