Michael Schumacher To Continue His Role as Brand Ambassador for Mercedes Benz Regardless of Frail Health Condition
By Rachelle Corpuz | August 5, 2014 1:19 PM EST
Michael Schumacher and Mercedes Benz have worked together for the past several years to promote safety on the road. As the seven-time world champion continue to recuperate from the injuries he suffered in the skiing accident in December, Mercedes has asserted that it will continue to stand by Schumacher as the car manufacturer's brand ambassador.
Ferrari Formula One driver Michael Schumacher of Germany celebrates after taking the pole position at the end of the qualifying session for the Bahrain Formula One Grand Prix at the Sakhir racetrack in Manama in this March 11, 2006 file picture.
Daimler chairman Dr. Dieter Zetsche told German news outlet Bild am Sonntag that they have no intentions of terminating their partnership with Schumacher. "We have given no thoughts to changing something in his contract," said Zetsche in a statement.
Dr. Zetsche was reportedly happy to hear the news that Schumacher's condition was slowly improving from the accident and hoped that his recovery continues, but admitted that he had not gone to visit Schumacher in the rehabilitation clinic out of his "highest respect" for the privacy sentiments echoed by the racer's family.
Schumacher became Mercedes' ambassador in April 2013, six months after he had partaken in his last Grand Prix. Executive vice president Dr. Joachim Schmidt was quoted saying that the company was proud to have "the most successful and best-known racing driver in the world" in partnership with them. Schumacher was also delighted of their partnership for the standardization and incorporation of future technologies for car and driving safety. He made his first appearance as Mercedes' ambassador in May 2013 at Handelsblatt, where he was joined by Dr. Zetsche.
Only a few days before his skiing accident in Merible, Schumacher even took a 2015 C-Class Mercedes sedan for a test drive. Watch Schumacher yielded all control to the luxury sedan prototype in the video below.
Video courtesy: YouTube/CARJAMTV
While Mercedes seemed committed to keeping Schumacher as its ambassador, another company wasn't so passionate about continuing its relationship with the 45-year-old German racer. In June, bottled mineral water brand Rosbacher has announced as reported by Auto Week that it was ending its endorsement relationship with Schumacher.
MORE ARTICLES TO READ:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon