NBA Free Agency: Shawn Marion Meets with Cleveland Cavaliers, Indiana Pacers and Dallas Mavericks Also Interested
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | August 5, 2014 1:18 PM EST
The team that just hit the lottery jackpot is being showered upon with more blessings.
The Cleveland Cavaliers appear to be the frontrunners to acquire the services of free agent veteran Shawn Marion in an effort to bolster the bench of the newly revamped Ohio team.
Jun 27, 2014; Independence, OH, USA; Cleveland Cavaliers head coach David Blatt speaks to the media at Cleveland Clinic Courts.
The Matrix is reportedly looking for the team that can best give him an opportunity to annex a second ring. ESPN reports that the Cavaliers camp is meeting with Marion Monday to complete a deal roughly worth the veteran's minimum.
Tha Ohio-based team is banking on the strong relationship of General Manager David Griffin with Marion as one of the things that can persuade the versatile former all-star to bolster their bench. They are also aware that Marion is looking to ring chase. LeBron James solves that and more. ESPN's Marc Stein confirmed Marion's interest with the Cavs mainly hinged on his desire to be part of a new championship team.
Shawn Marion is a natural target for Indy in the wake of Paul George's injury but LeBron's presence, I'm told, indeed gives Cavs upper hand— Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) August 4, 2014
The other upper hand is Marion's familiarity with former Phoenix Suns executive David Griffin. It can be recalled that Marion enjoyed the apex of his career during high flying days with Steve Nash and Amare Stoudemire.
But his most versatile and transformative years was with the last five years with the Mavericks where he showed that he could guard all five positions and be arguably the best small forward in their underdog NBA Finals Championship victory over the Miami Heat in 2011. Now he wants to re-align with LeBron, the man he neutralized during that stretch run.
There is also no shortage of teams aside from the Cavaliers who are salivating at the prospect of adding the veteran forward. The Indiana Pacers are natural suitors given the extent of Paul George's debilitating injury. There was also great interest from the Dallas Mavericks to bring back Marion into their fold but their acquisition of restricted small forward Chandler Parsons have somewhat diminished their ability to squeeze in a spot and salary for their former ward.
The Cavaliers are hoping that Marion will still have plenty left in the tank after just three years removed from averaging close to 12 points and 7 rebounds during his title run with the Mavericks.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Chris Algieri Exposed, Criticised For Lack Of Desire To Win Against Manny Pacquiao
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues