Kate Middleton and Prince William Lead Tribute for WWI Soldiers, Prince Harry Unveil Memorial Arch
By Annie Dee | August 5, 2014 1:17 PM EST
Prince William pays tribute to the brave soldiers who gave their lives 100 years ago in the First World War at a ceremony held in Liege, Belgium. He was joined and supported by Princess Kate as he saluted and honoured the roughly 16 million soldiers who fought during one of the deadliest wars in history.
Britain's Prince William and his wife Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge applaud after the fourth set of the men's singles final tennis match between Novak Djokovic of Serbia and Roger Federer of Switzerland on Centre Court at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships, in London July 6, 2014.
Daily Star UK reports that, addressing dozens of world leaders, Prince William kept his message short and clear, but also quite meaningful. He shared, "We were enemies more than once in the last century, and today we are friends and allies."
"We salute those who died to give us our freedom. We will remember them." The Prince also praised the Belgians, claiming their "resistance was as gallant as their suffering was great".
French President Francois Hollande, German President Joachim Gauck, as well as Austrian President Heinz Fischer were all in attendance. These countries played the main roles in the said debilitating war. Prince William addressed all of them, saying, "The fact that Mr Presidents, you are here today to represent Germany and Austria, and that other nations - then enemies - are here too, bears testimony to the power of reconciliation."
Kate stood by solemnly as William paid tribute to the "power of reconciliation." After this, they both participated in a ceremony held in Mons. The place was significant as this is where the first and last British soldiers died during the First World War. Prince Harry, who had earlier unveiled a memorial arch in Folkestone, Kent, also participated in the poignant ceremony.The service was focused on the cemetery of St Symphorien, where 229 Commonwealth and 284 German soldiers died and were buried.
Another service was also held at Glasgow Cathedral, wherein Prime Minister David Cameron and Prince Charles represented the royal family. At least 1,100 people, counting the dignitaries from around the Commonwealth, attended the said ceremony.Rev Laurence Whitley of the Minister of Glasgow Cathedral, led the ceremony by saying, "We meet because on a summer's day like this one, 100 years ago, the world changed. "Our nations and peoples found themselves in a war the like of which had never been seen and the memory of which still haunts us all," he added.
Aside from these ceremonies that the Royal family participated in, Daily Star UK also reports that the whole nation is paying respect to these WWI heroes.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- "Game of Thrones" Season 5 Spoilers -- Arya Stark’s New Costume, Mace Tyrell And Tycho Spotted On The Sets
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Sept. 19, 2014: Hope Needs To Decide If She Will Stay With Wyatt Or Go With Liam [WATCH VIDEO]
- The Pirate Bay Founder Peter Sunde’s Freedom: Hollywood People Oppose TPB Founder’s Imprisonment
- 'Dancing With The Stars' (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Week 2 Spoilers: Things To Expect; Find Out Which Choreographer Is Quitting
- 'Downton Abbey' Spoilers: 'Surprising New Stories' In Season 5, George Clooney's Cameo Appearance
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Unofficial ‘Samsung Galaxy Alpha’ Can Now Be Purchased For $700 In The US
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1
- Sony Xperia E3 vs. Moto G (2014) – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown