Roger Federer Feels 'No Pressure' at This Stage of His Career
By James Patrick Quizon | August 5, 2014 12:03 PM EST
No question, Roger Federer is an accomplished tennis player already so much so that he’s considered one of the best players of all time if not the greatest sportsman in the history of his sport. It’s no surprise too that he’s contented with what he’s done in his tennis career that the Swiss Master feels no pressure when he’s playing in both minor and major ATP tournaments.
Roger Federer of Switzerland celebrates after breaking serve against Novak Djokovic of Serbia during his men's singles finals tennis match on Centre Court at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships in London July 6, 2014.
“I feel more laid back today than I ever have because I don’t have to defend like 12 tournaments a year,” Federer said via ESPN.COM. “I only won one last year, so I feel I don’t really have to prove anything to anybody – although people are always going to disagree with that.”
The new approach has worked in the 2014 ATP season for Federer.
The last time the Swiss made the no. 1 spot in the ATP rankings was in November 2012 and has since fell to as low as no.8 (February and March 2014). As mentioned by Federer himself this was because of a “bad” 2013 when he only won one tournament in Basel, Switzerland defeating Juan Martin Del Potro, 6-7(3), 6-2, 4-6 at the 2013 Swiss Indoors Basel final.
Federer finished 2013 with a 45-17 record and has seen a mini-resurgence going 40-8 in 2014 with titles in Dubai, United Arab Emirates (defeated Tomas Berdych, 3-6, 6-4, 6-3 at the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships final); and in Halle, Germany (defeated Alejandro Falla, W 7-6(2), 7-6(3) at the Gerry Weber Open final).
He also appeared in multiple championship matches including the five-set classic against Novak Djokovic, 7-6(7), 4-6, 6-7(4), 7-5, 4-6 at the 2014 Wimbledon Championships.
“For me, it’s about how do I feel at practice, how’s my motivation, how am I actually playing – how do I feel rather than everyone else thinking they know. I can analyse it much clearer today than I ever have, and from that standpoint, I’m not in a hectic place.”
A relaxed Roger Federer is always a more dangerous player and the Swiss will have his chance to prove this mindset works in the 2014 Rogers Cup in Montreal, Canada starting on Tuesday when he faces Jerzy Janowicz of Poland.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Boxing News: Pacquiao And Mayweather Might Meet 'In The First Six Months Of Next Year' - Bob Arum
- Boxing News 2014: Pacquiao Considers Ditching Jessica Sanchez To Sing Philippine National Anthem In Favour Of Born-Again Pastors; Stallone & Schwarzenegger to Watch Bout
- Michael Phelps' Lover Reveals She Was Born Intersex In Lengthy Facebook Post
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports