Kate Middleton & Prince William Commemorate World War I in Belgium, Duchess to Visit Queen Elizabeth & Camilla Parker-Bowles
By Riza Ornos | August 5, 2014 8:47 AM EST
Looking stylish and elegant at the 100th anniversary of World War I in Belgium, Kate Middleton and Prince William attended the memorial service alongside Queen Mathilde and King Philippe of Belgium. The royal couple kicked off a series of World War 1 commemorative events on Monday, August 4, marking the 100th anniversary since Britain joined the war.
Britain's Prince William and his wife Catherine, the Duchess of Cambridge, arrive with their son Prince George at Sydney Airport April 16, 2014. Britain's Prince William, his wife Kate and their son Prince George flew from New Zealand to Australia, where they will now spend nine days touring the country. Reuters/Phil Noble
Upon his arrival, the Duke of Cambridge gave his respect to those who lost their lives during World War I as he laid a poppy wreath at the nearby British memorial. Greeted in royal style by Belgium's King and Queen, Kate looked stunning in a cream coat dress where she accessorized with a matching hat with dusty pink roses by Jane Taylor. She finished her chic ensemble with LK Bennett heels, clutch bag and a pair of drop earrings.
Looking dignified as usual, Prince William wore a navy suit with a gold and silver Jubilee medals given to him by Queen Elizabeth. He also addressed more than 50 heads of state at a ceremony at the Cointe Inter-allied memorial, including French President Francois Hollande, German President Joachim Gauck and Belgian Prime Minister Elio du Rupo.
"In the summer of 1914, the Austrian writer, Stefan Zveig, was on holiday in Belgium near Ostend. He describes how people from all over Europe were enjoying themselves together, and comments that a great deal of German was spoken because holidaymakers from the Rhineland liked to come to the Belgian beaches," said Willaim in his speech posted on E! Online.
"We were enemies more than once in the last century, and today we are friends and allies."We salute those who died to give us our freedom. We will remember them," concluded William.
The Belgian event will be the last public appearance of the couple before they take a month-long break this August. Kate Middleton and Prince William are scheduled to spend some time at the queen's Sandringham Estate in Norfolk, England to enjoy some quality time with Prince George.
Royal sources also revealed that the pair will be taking their one-year-old son to see Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla Parker-Bowles at their Highland home and then visit Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh at Balmoral Castle in Scotland, according to Vanity Fair.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt Photographed Fighting Before ‘Unbroken’ Sydney Premiere – Report [VIDEO]
- 'NCIS Los Angeles' Season 6 Recap: Episode 9 'Traitor' Aired On Nov. 24, 2014, The Hunt For The ‘NCIS LA’ Mole Is Over [WATCH VIDEOS]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 26 Spoilers: Victoria Finds Who The Father Of Her Child Is And Jack And Phyllis Rekindle Romance
- Kate Middleton Cries As She Listens To A Moving Tale Of A Mother Who Lost Her Infant Daughter
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season7, Episode 12 Spoilers: Thanksgiving Break, SAMCRO Returns In December [VIDEO]
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]