Kate Middleton & Prince William Commemorate World War I in Belgium, Duchess to Visit Queen Elizabeth & Camilla Parker-Bowles
By Riza Ornos | August 5, 2014 8:47 AM EST
Looking stylish and elegant at the 100th anniversary of World War I in Belgium, Kate Middleton and Prince William attended the memorial service alongside Queen Mathilde and King Philippe of Belgium. The royal couple kicked off a series of World War 1 commemorative events on Monday, August 4, marking the 100th anniversary since Britain joined the war.
Britain's Prince William and his wife Catherine, the Duchess of Cambridge, arrive with their son Prince George at Sydney Airport April 16, 2014. Britain's Prince William, his wife Kate and their son Prince George flew from New Zealand to Australia, where they will now spend nine days touring the country. Reuters/Phil Noble
Upon his arrival, the Duke of Cambridge gave his respect to those who lost their lives during World War I as he laid a poppy wreath at the nearby British memorial. Greeted in royal style by Belgium's King and Queen, Kate looked stunning in a cream coat dress where she accessorized with a matching hat with dusty pink roses by Jane Taylor. She finished her chic ensemble with LK Bennett heels, clutch bag and a pair of drop earrings.
Looking dignified as usual, Prince William wore a navy suit with a gold and silver Jubilee medals given to him by Queen Elizabeth. He also addressed more than 50 heads of state at a ceremony at the Cointe Inter-allied memorial, including French President Francois Hollande, German President Joachim Gauck and Belgian Prime Minister Elio du Rupo.
"In the summer of 1914, the Austrian writer, Stefan Zveig, was on holiday in Belgium near Ostend. He describes how people from all over Europe were enjoying themselves together, and comments that a great deal of German was spoken because holidaymakers from the Rhineland liked to come to the Belgian beaches," said Willaim in his speech posted on E! Online.
"We were enemies more than once in the last century, and today we are friends and allies."We salute those who died to give us our freedom. We will remember them," concluded William.
The Belgian event will be the last public appearance of the couple before they take a month-long break this August. Kate Middleton and Prince William are scheduled to spend some time at the queen's Sandringham Estate in Norfolk, England to enjoy some quality time with Prince George.
Royal sources also revealed that the pair will be taking their one-year-old son to see Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla Parker-Bowles at their Highland home and then visit Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh at Balmoral Castle in Scotland, according to Vanity Fair.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers For Sept. 22-26, 2014: Consequences Of The Crichton-Clark Blast
- 'Downton Abbey' Spoilers: 'Surprising New Stories' In Season 5, George Clooney's Cameo Appearance
- Ryan Gosling And Eva Mendes Gushes Over Newborn Daughter
- Another Celebrity Nude Photo Leak: Naked Pics Of Liam Payne And Kim Kardashian Uploaded Online
- ‘Top Gun 2’ Update: ‘The Jungle Book’ Writer Onboard, Tom Cruise Likely To Reprise His Role