Kate Middleton & Prince William Commemorate World War I in Belgium, Duchess to Visit Queen Elizabeth & Camilla Parker-Bowles
By Riza Ornos | August 5, 2014 8:47 AM EST
Looking stylish and elegant at the 100th anniversary of World War I in Belgium, Kate Middleton and Prince William attended the memorial service alongside Queen Mathilde and King Philippe of Belgium. The royal couple kicked off a series of World War 1 commemorative events on Monday, August 4, marking the 100th anniversary since Britain joined the war.
Britain's Prince William and his wife Catherine, the Duchess of Cambridge, arrive with their son Prince George at Sydney Airport April 16, 2014. Britain's Prince William, his wife Kate and their son Prince George flew from New Zealand to Australia, where they will now spend nine days touring the country. Reuters/Phil Noble
Upon his arrival, the Duke of Cambridge gave his respect to those who lost their lives during World War I as he laid a poppy wreath at the nearby British memorial. Greeted in royal style by Belgium's King and Queen, Kate looked stunning in a cream coat dress where she accessorized with a matching hat with dusty pink roses by Jane Taylor. She finished her chic ensemble with LK Bennett heels, clutch bag and a pair of drop earrings.
Looking dignified as usual, Prince William wore a navy suit with a gold and silver Jubilee medals given to him by Queen Elizabeth. He also addressed more than 50 heads of state at a ceremony at the Cointe Inter-allied memorial, including French President Francois Hollande, German President Joachim Gauck and Belgian Prime Minister Elio du Rupo.
"In the summer of 1914, the Austrian writer, Stefan Zveig, was on holiday in Belgium near Ostend. He describes how people from all over Europe were enjoying themselves together, and comments that a great deal of German was spoken because holidaymakers from the Rhineland liked to come to the Belgian beaches," said Willaim in his speech posted on E! Online.
"We were enemies more than once in the last century, and today we are friends and allies."We salute those who died to give us our freedom. We will remember them," concluded William.
The Belgian event will be the last public appearance of the couple before they take a month-long break this August. Kate Middleton and Prince William are scheduled to spend some time at the queen's Sandringham Estate in Norfolk, England to enjoy some quality time with Prince George.
Royal sources also revealed that the pair will be taking their one-year-old son to see Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla Parker-Bowles at their Highland home and then visit Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh at Balmoral Castle in Scotland, according to Vanity Fair.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Lawson’s Girlfriend Reportedly Entering the House Plus Sandra Gets Evicted [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- 'NCIS' Season 12, Episode 5 Spoilers: Gibbs' Gut OKs FBI Agent Leia Pendergast; A Favorite Guest Star Returns [Watch NCIS 12x5 Promo Video]
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop