Boxing News 2014: Expert Warns Pacquiao Bout vs Algieri is a Lose-Lose Situation for the Filipino Champ
By Vittorio Hernandez | August 5, 2014 8:24 AM EST
The criticisms over eight-division title holder Manny Pacquiao's choice of new American boxer Chris Algieri as opponent for his Nov 22 bout continues with one expert warning the Filipino champ it is a lose-lose situation for him.
Manny Pacquiao will face Tim Bradley on April 12
Boxing Insider cited the anticipated lower pay-per-view buys as one of the likely casualties of the lopsided fight between the boxing legend and the relatively unknown pugilist who earned $100,000 for his last fight against Russian boxer Ruslan Provodnikov.
The Web site pointed out that against a more known boxer, Brandon Rios, Pacquiao's last PPV buys were not so great, and with him spending much time in the Philippines due to his work as legislator and business concerns, Pacquiao would be less visible to American viewers who comprise the bulk of PPV buyers.
"Algieri is a likeable guy, he does not have the douche-bag personality to sell a fight. He could play the likeable underdog role, but that does not necessarily sell tickets, especially if his opponent Pacquiao, is widely admired across the globe," Boxing Insider emphasised.
The Web site acknowledged that Pacquiao had few choices except to cherry-pick his opponent since there is scant demand for a third bout versus Timothy Bradley, while Rios even didn't deserve their April rematch. Meanwhile, Pacquiao had one too many bouts against Juan Manuel Marquez, while Mike Alvarado was just fresh from a defeat.
While it acknowledged that the 30-year-old Algieri is a good fighter and has good boxing skills, it does not necessarily translate into the nutrition master's degree holder "a shot at one of boxing's biggest attractions."
Stressing that Algieri, with his paltry fight record of 20 against Pacquiao's 58, certainly gives the Filipino southpaw the edge that an unexpected upset could generate "a hailstorm of criticism."
"Make no mistake, Pacquiao is expected to win this fight," forecast Boxing Insider as it hoped for a better opponent for the soon-to-retire boxer in 2015, apparently referring to the speculated dream match between Pacquiao and unbeaten American boxer Floyd Mayweather who at 37 is also set to hang his gloves after his rematch on Sept 13 with Argentinean boxer Marcos Maidana and two other fights.
Mayweather would likely tread the path that retired boxer Oscar de la Hoya took and become a full-time boxing promoter, while Pacquiao has his sight on higher political office by running for a Senate seat in 2016.
Algieri, meanwhile, believes he still has good chances of winning on Nov 22.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Expecting A Baby Boy For The Second Time Around – Reports [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 4: San Francisco Giants 11, Kansas City Royals 4 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao KO Of Chris Algieri Will ‘Shut Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr. Declares Freddie Roach
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- Georges St-Pierre Opines Nick Diaz Would Have a Stronger Chance Against Anderson Silva If Fight Goes Longer
- Cavaliers, LeBron James Flop In First Game Back In Cleveland; New York Knicks, Melo Pull Off Road Upset, 95-90 [PHOTOS]
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge To Be Available Through T-Mobile In The US
- Five Extreme Drop Tests On BlackBerry Passport Reveals Its Endurance [Watch Video]