Value of Australia’s Future Fund Exceeds $100 Billion for the First Time
By Vittorio Hernandez | August 5, 2014 8:21 AM EST
Australia's Future Fund has reached $101 billion on Monday, exceeding the $100 billion mark at the end of June after its investment returns for the 2013-14 financial year yielded $12 billion.
Four thousand U.S. dollars are counted out by a banker counting currency at a bank in Westminster, Colorado November 3, 2009.
Former Treasurer Peter Costello established the fund in 2006. Since then and despite the global financial crisis in 2008, the fund enjoyed an average nominal annual growth rate of 7.1 per cent, just slightly lower than its 7.2 per cent target.
Costello, the chairman of the fund, said that during the fund's early days when the investment climate was challenging, resulting in returns yielding lower than the company's target range. However, he pointed out that disciplined adherence to clear objectives resulted in good growth rates over the long term.
While Australia reached a landmark with the fund's reaching a milestone, the amount of $101 billion is paltry when compared to Norway's Sovereign Fund valued at $878 billion, making each Norwegian a millionaire.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola ‘Cruise Ship’: Holidaymakers Furious Organisers Hid the Truth About Dallas Health Care Worker
- Canada Conducts Practice Drill Of Ebola Rapid Response Teams, To Send Experimental VSV-BOV Vaccine To WHO
- 5 Cities With The Highest Cost Of Living In 2014
- New Zealand Losing $9.4 Billion Every Year to Fraud
- 5 Smartphone Apps For The Workaholic
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity
- Fappening: Lindsay Clubine, Wife Of Boston Red Sox Pitcher Clay Buchholz, & George Sampson Of Britain’s Got Talent, Are The Latest Victims Of Celebrity Nude Leaks
- U.S. Missile Shield In Europe Opens In Romania: Russia's Reservations Ignored