Flappy Bird is Back in New Mode, Game Creator Issues Friendly Warning
By Arlene Paredes | August 5, 2014 1:58 AM EST
Flappy Bird is back, but creator Dotgears has redesigned it to be a game in "person vs person" (PvP) mode, so it gets a new name: Flappy Birds Family. Released Aug. 1 on Amazon Amazon Fire TV, the game created by Dong Nguyen promises "incredible new features," and warns the players against "breaking your TV."
Flappy Birds Family works only on Amazon Fire TV for now. It remains to be seen whether Nguyen would decide to release back into the market - for iOS and Android devices - his original Flappy bird game.
Why did game creator Dong Nguyen take down Flappy Bird?
Earlier this year, Rolling Stone sent writer David Kushner to Vietnam to speak to Flappy Bird Creator Dong Nguyen, the lone man behind Dotgears. In the interview, Nguyen opened up about the angry messages he got from people complaining about the game. He did not take the messages lightly.
"At first I thought they were just joking," Nguyen said about the stream of feedback, "but I realize they really hurt themselves." Soon after the reality of the Flappy Bird effect hit him, he pulled out the game. There were even rumours that he had died of suicide. But this didn't change Nguyen's back about the game.
Flappy bird was "distracting the children of the world," says one of the messages sent to Nguyen. The Rolling Stone report also revealed how Nguyen had been in hiding, keeping himself away from the press after he pulled out Flappy Bird from iTunes and Google Play Store.
However, in May, Nguyen announced on Twitter he was coming up with a new Flappy Bird game. The game developer retweeted a Q&A with Kushner:
— David Kushner (@davidkushner) May 16, 2014
The complete product description for Flappy Birds Family on Amazon reads:
"Flappy Birds now are on Amazon Fire TV with incredible new features: Person vs Person mode, more obstacles, more fun and still very hard. Enjoy playing the game at home (not breaking your TV) with your family and friends."
Amazon Fire TV gamers can download Flappy Birds Family for free.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan