Chelsea FC Transfer News: 'Fabregas at Stamford Bridge' Never Crossed Mourinho's Mind
By Mark Wayne Eubank | August 4, 2014 11:36 PM EST
Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho defied the odds when he was able to convince FC Barcelona star midfielder Cesc Fabregas to move to Stamford Bridge last month.
However, it was a feat that caught even the Portuguese manager off-guard, just like it did any other supporter or neutral.
Chelsea's Cesc Fabregas plays a ball against Vitesse Arnhem during their friendly soccer match in Arnhem July 30, 2014.
"I always thought Cesc would stay a Barcelona player because he is so good," admitted the 51-year-old former Real Madrid overseer.
"And, being a Catalan and with the end of Xavi's career coming, I thought that Fabregas would stay there."
The 27-year-old Spanish international was one of Barca's bright spots during their tumultuous run last season. He was able to deliver 19 assists in the La Liga alone, along with his 8 goals.
Aside from the Nou Camp outfit's failure to win any major silverware during the 2013/14 campaign, instability is also viewed as one of the significant factors that prompted the La Masia graduate to make the move.
Luis Enrique will be the third manager for the Blaugrana in three seasons, with Tata Martino and Tito Vilanova as predecessors.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Serena Williams Swagger Back After US Open - Mark Hodgkinson
- Manny Pacquiao Is The Greatest Fighter That Ever Lived Declares Magician David Blaine
- Guardiola Mockingly States That Man Utd Does Not Have The Means To Acquire Bayern Munich Players
- Novak Djokovic Stars In A New Commercial For Gerble Sans Gluten et Sans Souci
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS