Guardians of the Galaxy Movie Review: Best and Worst Moments of the Film [WATCH VIDEO]
By Janice Somosot | August 4, 2014 8:25 PM EST
Marvel's "Guardians of the Galaxy" starring Chris Pratt (Peter Quill/Star-Lord), Zoe Saldana (Gamora), Dave Bautista (Drax), Bradley Cooper (Rocket Raccoon - voice), Lee Pace (Ronan the Accuser), Vin Diesel (Groot - voice), Djimon Hounsou (Korath), Glenn Close (Nova Prime) and Benicio Del Toro (The Collector/Taneleer Tivan) was shown in U.S. and Canadian theatres on Friday, Aug. 1, 2014. It will be shown on Thursday, Aug. 7, 2014 in Australia and New Zealand. Here is a brief movie review of it including the best and worst moments of the film.
"Guardians of the Galaxy" was directed by James Gunn. Gunn wrote the film's screenplay with Nicole Perlman. The action/adventure movie is rated PG-13 and its runtime is 122 minutes (2 hours and 1 minute). The plot of the film centers on Peter Quill, a human who was abducted by Yondu and the Ravagers in 1988. He became a space pirate and stole an orb-like artifact in the planet Morag. Unfortunately, he was captured by the Nova Corps when he attempted to sell it. He teams up with a bunch of ex-convicts that he meets in prison including Rocket Raccoon, Groot, Gamora and Drax the Destroyer. Their common foe is Ronan the Accuser and they all fight together against him as well as his other allies, Nebula and Thanos.
- The action-packed and thrilling final battle scene of the Guardians of the Galaxy with Ronan the Accuser.
- All of Rocket Raccoon's scenes because he is cute, funny and deadly!
- When Quill opened his present from his mom, which was revealed to be a cassette tape of her favourite songs. It was a brief, but touching scene.
- When Groot sacrificed himself to save his fellow Guardians of the Galaxy.
- Post-credits scene featuring Howard the Duck (voiced by Seth Green) and Cosmo the Spacedog.
- When Taneleer Tivan's assistant grabbed the Infinity Stone and it caused an explosion which destroyed most of his collection. Think of all his rare collections that have gone to waste!
- Some unnecessary tender moments between Star-Lord and Gamora that dragged the story.
BOX OFFICE INFO:
According to The Wrap, "Guardians of the Galaxy" had a budget of $170 million. Box Office Mojo reports that as of Aug. 3, 2014, the film has already earned $160,400,000 worldwide! It earned $94,000,000 during the opening weekend.
The Internet Movie Database (IMDb) rating for "Guardians of the Galaxy" is 8.9/10 from 48,601 users. It garnered a Metascore of 76/100 from various critics including Elizabeth Weitzman of New York Daily News and Drew McWeeny of HitFix.
ROTTEN TOMATOES RATINGS:
According to the Tomatometer, "Guardians of the Galaxy" deserves a 93% score and is certified FRESH by Rotten Tomatoes. It scored a 7.8/10 average rating, with 174 considering it fresh and only 14 considering it rotten. It also got a 96% score and a 4.6/5 rating from the audience.
""Guardians of the Galaxy" has wit, energy and zaniness to spare. It will pop your corn and leave you hungry for more," Tom Long wrote in The Detroit News Web site.
Meanwhile film critic Annlee Ellingson of L.A. Biz compared "Guardians of the Galaxy" to "Star Wars."
"Packed for an entire 2 hours, Guardians of the Galaxy has entertainment value from the first to last minute," JY Skacto said in a review posted on the Rotten Tomatoes Web site.
Super reviewer Manu Gino also wrote on the Rotten Tomatoes Web site that it's a great movie that has lots of action.
The "Guardians of the Galaxy" movie review provides insights and a brief overview of the said film, including its best and worst moments, box office records, audience and critic reviews and ratings from IMDb and Rotten Tomatoes. If you haven't watched "Guardians of the Galaxy" yet, what are you waiting for? Head to the nearest cinema ASAP! The "Guardians of the Galaxy" sequel will be released on July 28, 2017.
Watch the "Guardians of the Galaxy" extended trailer from Marvel below:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Lawson’s Girlfriend Reportedly Entering the House Plus Sandra Gets Evicted [VIDEO]
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’