Man Utd. To Face Liverpool in the International Champion Cup Final In Miami
By Mohammad Sohaib | August 4, 2014 8:00 PM EST
Manchester United registered a place in the final of International Champions Cup final in Miami against old rivals Liverpool. Louis van Gaal seems to have transferred his tactical magic from his successful tenure with the Dutch to Manchester United, who had a horrid season last year. He can't be asked for a better showing than a win in this prestigious tournament on his debut.
Manchester United Face Liverpool in the International Champions Cup in Miami
Both teams reached the finals facing tough oppositions. United, however, made a more sumptuous entry by nailing Real Madrid three goals to one. A contest watched by a majestic crowd of 109,318 fans in the Michigan State, a record sellout for any soccer game in the United States.
The fans though must have been disappointed to see super star Cristiano Ronaldo feature only for the last twenty minutes of the game. The highlight of the match was the performance of Ashley Young who scored twice in the first half to tilt the match in United's favour. Van Gaal's ploy of using 3-4-1-2 worked quite well in the team's favour resulting in only three major Madrid attacks in the whole game. It was the same formation that was successfully deployed by the Dutch national team in their very successful World Cup campaign in Brazil.
The only glimmer of hope for the Real Madrid came from a penalty by Gareth Bale who was also leading the side in the game. A goal that leveled the score at that point in the match but could not inspire the team to deal with the sublime United threat. This victory made it three wins in a row after victories against Inter Milan and AS Roma.
The road to the final for Liverpool was not as easy as their game against Manchester City went down the wire after both sides finished two goals apiece. Liverpool emerged as the winners after a 3-1 lead in penalty shootouts.
A final before the beginning of the new season allows Van Gaal to not only show his mettle but also to regain the trust of the fans.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft