Man Utd. To Face Liverpool in the International Champion Cup Final In Miami
By Mohammad Sohaib | August 4, 2014 8:00 PM EST
Manchester United registered a place in the final of International Champions Cup final in Miami against old rivals Liverpool. Louis van Gaal seems to have transferred his tactical magic from his successful tenure with the Dutch to Manchester United, who had a horrid season last year. He can't be asked for a better showing than a win in this prestigious tournament on his debut.
Manchester United Face Liverpool in the International Champions Cup in Miami
Both teams reached the finals facing tough oppositions. United, however, made a more sumptuous entry by nailing Real Madrid three goals to one. A contest watched by a majestic crowd of 109,318 fans in the Michigan State, a record sellout for any soccer game in the United States.
The fans though must have been disappointed to see super star Cristiano Ronaldo feature only for the last twenty minutes of the game. The highlight of the match was the performance of Ashley Young who scored twice in the first half to tilt the match in United's favour. Van Gaal's ploy of using 3-4-1-2 worked quite well in the team's favour resulting in only three major Madrid attacks in the whole game. It was the same formation that was successfully deployed by the Dutch national team in their very successful World Cup campaign in Brazil.
The only glimmer of hope for the Real Madrid came from a penalty by Gareth Bale who was also leading the side in the game. A goal that leveled the score at that point in the match but could not inspire the team to deal with the sublime United threat. This victory made it three wins in a row after victories against Inter Milan and AS Roma.
The road to the final for Liverpool was not as easy as their game against Manchester City went down the wire after both sides finished two goals apiece. Liverpool emerged as the winners after a 3-1 lead in penalty shootouts.
A final before the beginning of the new season allows Van Gaal to not only show his mettle but also to regain the trust of the fans.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Serena Williams Swagger Back After US Open - Mark Hodgkinson
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Manny Pacquiao Is The Greatest Fighter That Ever Lived Declares Magician David Blaine
- Evander Holyfield Says That He Didn’t Make Comments About Floyd Mayweather Fighting With Manny Pacquiao
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best