Usain Bolt Will Retire After the 2016 Rio Olympics
By Mohammad Sohaib | August 4, 2014 7:53 PM EST
Six-time Olympic champion Usain Bolt has confirmed that Rio Olympics will be his last destination. After winning the 4x100m relay title at the Commonwealth Games at Glasgow, the star sprinter said he will call it quits at the end of the 2016 season. Rio Olympics will be his third and final Olympics appearance after his triumph in the Beijing and London Olympics previously.
Bolt will retire after the Rio Olympics
Commonwealth Games were the last of the remaining accolades for the 27-year-old Jamaican as he anchored his team to an impressive victory at Glasgow. Team Jamaica has set a new Games record, with an impressive 37.58 sec finish in the event. After celebrating the victory in style, Bolt announced the shocking news of his retirement after the Rio de Janeiro Olympics, 2016. Previously, the news was circulating that he may be tempted to play the world championship in 2017.
Bolt said there was nothing left to conquer and the way he celebrated the Commonwealth gold told the whole story.
"I spoke to Michael Johnson, who said he retired because there was nothing else left to accomplish," the triple world record holder said as reported by The Telegraph "I'm happy to have achieved everything that I have, but when you don't have anything left then you might as well retire."
Globally known for his 100m heroics, Bolt's strength at the start of his career was the 200m race. He gradually improved on his speed as he broke his own world record in the 100m dash as he clocked 9.69 seconds in Beijing. He keeps the world record of a remarkable 9.58 seconds sprint in the 2009 World Championships and an Olympics record of 9.63seconds.
He has won 16 gold medals across different competitions, including six in the two editions of the Olympics and eight across four World Championships. His autobiography, My Story: 9.58: Being the World's Fastest Man, which was released in 2010, is rated highly in the literary circles.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Floyd Rhymes With Avoid,’ Says Manny Pacquiao
- Manny Pacquiao Calls Out On Floyd Mayweather Jr. Again After Unbeaten Boxer Mocks Him With His KO Video
- NFL Thanksgiving Games: Chicago Vs. Detroit, Philadelphia Vs. Dallas, And Seattle Vs. San Francisco Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Phil Hughes No More: Australian Batsman Dies at 25
- 2014 NFL Thanksgiving Games Results: Detroit Lions, Philadelphia Eagles, Seattle Seahawks Notch All-Important Wins With Major Postseason Implications
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast