Usain Bolt Will Retire After the 2016 Rio Olympics
By Mohammad Sohaib | August 4, 2014 7:53 PM EST
Six-time Olympic champion Usain Bolt has confirmed that Rio Olympics will be his last destination. After winning the 4x100m relay title at the Commonwealth Games at Glasgow, the star sprinter said he will call it quits at the end of the 2016 season. Rio Olympics will be his third and final Olympics appearance after his triumph in the Beijing and London Olympics previously.
Bolt will retire after the Rio Olympics
Commonwealth Games were the last of the remaining accolades for the 27-year-old Jamaican as he anchored his team to an impressive victory at Glasgow. Team Jamaica has set a new Games record, with an impressive 37.58 sec finish in the event. After celebrating the victory in style, Bolt announced the shocking news of his retirement after the Rio de Janeiro Olympics, 2016. Previously, the news was circulating that he may be tempted to play the world championship in 2017.
Bolt said there was nothing left to conquer and the way he celebrated the Commonwealth gold told the whole story.
"I spoke to Michael Johnson, who said he retired because there was nothing else left to accomplish," the triple world record holder said as reported by The Telegraph "I'm happy to have achieved everything that I have, but when you don't have anything left then you might as well retire."
Globally known for his 100m heroics, Bolt's strength at the start of his career was the 200m race. He gradually improved on his speed as he broke his own world record in the 100m dash as he clocked 9.69 seconds in Beijing. He keeps the world record of a remarkable 9.58 seconds sprint in the 2009 World Championships and an Olympics record of 9.63seconds.
He has won 16 gold medals across different competitions, including six in the two editions of the Olympics and eight across four World Championships. His autobiography, My Story: 9.58: Being the World's Fastest Man, which was released in 2010, is rated highly in the literary circles.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS