Usain Bolt Will Retire After the 2016 Rio Olympics
By Mohammad Sohaib | August 4, 2014 7:53 PM EST
Six-time Olympic champion Usain Bolt has confirmed that Rio Olympics will be his last destination. After winning the 4x100m relay title at the Commonwealth Games at Glasgow, the star sprinter said he will call it quits at the end of the 2016 season. Rio Olympics will be his third and final Olympics appearance after his triumph in the Beijing and London Olympics previously.
Bolt will retire after the Rio Olympics
Commonwealth Games were the last of the remaining accolades for the 27-year-old Jamaican as he anchored his team to an impressive victory at Glasgow. Team Jamaica has set a new Games record, with an impressive 37.58 sec finish in the event. After celebrating the victory in style, Bolt announced the shocking news of his retirement after the Rio de Janeiro Olympics, 2016. Previously, the news was circulating that he may be tempted to play the world championship in 2017.
Bolt said there was nothing left to conquer and the way he celebrated the Commonwealth gold told the whole story.
"I spoke to Michael Johnson, who said he retired because there was nothing else left to accomplish," the triple world record holder said as reported by The Telegraph "I'm happy to have achieved everything that I have, but when you don't have anything left then you might as well retire."
Globally known for his 100m heroics, Bolt's strength at the start of his career was the 200m race. He gradually improved on his speed as he broke his own world record in the 100m dash as he clocked 9.69 seconds in Beijing. He keeps the world record of a remarkable 9.58 seconds sprint in the 2009 World Championships and an Olympics record of 9.63seconds.
He has won 16 gold medals across different competitions, including six in the two editions of the Olympics and eight across four World Championships. His autobiography, My Story: 9.58: Being the World's Fastest Man, which was released in 2010, is rated highly in the literary circles.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Manny Pacquiao Is The Greatest Fighter That Ever Lived Declares Magician David Blaine
- Serena Williams Swagger Back After US Open - Mark Hodgkinson
- Guardiola Mockingly States That Man Utd Does Not Have The Means To Acquire Bayern Munich Players
- Novak Djokovic Stars In A New Commercial For Gerble Sans Gluten et Sans Souci
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone