Usain Bolt Will Retire After the 2016 Rio Olympics
By Mohammad Sohaib | August 4, 2014 7:53 PM EST
Six-time Olympic champion Usain Bolt has confirmed that Rio Olympics will be his last destination. After winning the 4x100m relay title at the Commonwealth Games at Glasgow, the star sprinter said he will call it quits at the end of the 2016 season. Rio Olympics will be his third and final Olympics appearance after his triumph in the Beijing and London Olympics previously.
Bolt will retire after the Rio Olympics
Commonwealth Games were the last of the remaining accolades for the 27-year-old Jamaican as he anchored his team to an impressive victory at Glasgow. Team Jamaica has set a new Games record, with an impressive 37.58 sec finish in the event. After celebrating the victory in style, Bolt announced the shocking news of his retirement after the Rio de Janeiro Olympics, 2016. Previously, the news was circulating that he may be tempted to play the world championship in 2017.
Bolt said there was nothing left to conquer and the way he celebrated the Commonwealth gold told the whole story.
"I spoke to Michael Johnson, who said he retired because there was nothing else left to accomplish," the triple world record holder said as reported by The Telegraph "I'm happy to have achieved everything that I have, but when you don't have anything left then you might as well retire."
Globally known for his 100m heroics, Bolt's strength at the start of his career was the 200m race. He gradually improved on his speed as he broke his own world record in the 100m dash as he clocked 9.69 seconds in Beijing. He keeps the world record of a remarkable 9.58 seconds sprint in the 2009 World Championships and an Olympics record of 9.63seconds.
He has won 16 gold medals across different competitions, including six in the two editions of the Olympics and eight across four World Championships. His autobiography, My Story: 9.58: Being the World's Fastest Man, which was released in 2010, is rated highly in the literary circles.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- Toni Nadal Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage