Dale Earnhardt Jr. Sweeps Pocono, Holds No. 1 Seed for Sprint Cup
By Justin Noel Cudaihl | August 4, 2014 7:40 PM EST
They brought the beer; he brought a broom to the party.
Dale Earnhardt Jr., the world's most popular driver, completed a season sweep at Pocono Raceway, also his third win of the season as he heads into the NASCAR's version of the playoffs.
Flashing three fingers indicating one for every win, Earnhardt Jr. now holds the number one seed in the chase for the Sprint Cup championship. He is now tied for the most wins in the Sprint Cup this season as he also won in the Daytona 500. He captured the third victory by roaring ahead of the pack in the final restart with three laps left for the lead. He was able to stave the valiant efforts of Kevin Harvick to become the first ever to sweep both races at the track.
Apart from the accomplishments, Earnhardt Jr. also became the fifth straight driver out of Hendrick Motorsports to come out on top at Pocono. Although the owner did not witness himself the conquest of his team, the winning driver talked over the phone with their financer and relayed his message to the media.
"I told him thanks for believing in me and making my life better,'' Earnhardt said.
According to Yahoo! Sports, Earnhardt declared before the race that the No. 88 Chevrolet was even faster than the one he used last June when he also won. He was not let down by the vehicle as he zoomed in without a road block this time to the checkered flag. Over the final 14 laps of the race, Earnhardt was virtually unchallenged and cruised to the sweep.
The recipe for their success must be the new found chemistry of Earnhardt and crew chief Steve Letarte. The chemistry was so good that Letarte even acted disrespected when his nameplate did not show the same stickers that were visible on Earnhardt's card. There will be some changes to the said setup as Letarte is bound to head to the broadcast booth as Hendricks Motorsports has recently named Greg Ives as the new crew chief for the forthcoming year.
''We had a fast car all day. Steve's strategy was perfect at the end. I don't know if anyone knew what was going on there, but it was pretty awesome,'' Earnhardt Jr. said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Who Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers