Dale Earnhardt Jr. Sweeps Pocono, Holds No. 1 Seed for Sprint Cup
By Justin Noel Cudaihl | August 4, 2014 7:40 PM EST
They brought the beer; he brought a broom to the party.
Dale Earnhardt Jr., the world's most popular driver, completed a season sweep at Pocono Raceway, also his third win of the season as he heads into the NASCAR's version of the playoffs.
Flashing three fingers indicating one for every win, Earnhardt Jr. now holds the number one seed in the chase for the Sprint Cup championship. He is now tied for the most wins in the Sprint Cup this season as he also won in the Daytona 500. He captured the third victory by roaring ahead of the pack in the final restart with three laps left for the lead. He was able to stave the valiant efforts of Kevin Harvick to become the first ever to sweep both races at the track.
Apart from the accomplishments, Earnhardt Jr. also became the fifth straight driver out of Hendrick Motorsports to come out on top at Pocono. Although the owner did not witness himself the conquest of his team, the winning driver talked over the phone with their financer and relayed his message to the media.
"I told him thanks for believing in me and making my life better,'' Earnhardt said.
According to Yahoo! Sports, Earnhardt declared before the race that the No. 88 Chevrolet was even faster than the one he used last June when he also won. He was not let down by the vehicle as he zoomed in without a road block this time to the checkered flag. Over the final 14 laps of the race, Earnhardt was virtually unchallenged and cruised to the sweep.
The recipe for their success must be the new found chemistry of Earnhardt and crew chief Steve Letarte. The chemistry was so good that Letarte even acted disrespected when his nameplate did not show the same stickers that were visible on Earnhardt's card. There will be some changes to the said setup as Letarte is bound to head to the broadcast booth as Hendricks Motorsports has recently named Greg Ives as the new crew chief for the forthcoming year.
''We had a fast car all day. Steve's strategy was perfect at the end. I don't know if anyone knew what was going on there, but it was pretty awesome,'' Earnhardt Jr. said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Camilla Parker-Bowles To Become Queen When Prince Charles Accedes To The Throne
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage