Roger Federer Has Legit Shot at Grand Slam No.18 at US Open 2014
By Lou Imperial | August 4, 2014 7:38 PM EST
Former world's no.1 Roger Federer suddenly is in position of becoming a major contender at the upcoming US Open championship, not only because of Rafael Nadal's wrist injury but also his strong play throughout the year.
Roger Federer of Switzerland wipes his head with a towel during his men's singles match against Ernests Gulbis of Latvia at the French Open tennis tournament at the Roland Garros stadium in Paris June 1, 2014.
Federer's perseverance and renewed commitment in the sport have yielded a rejuvenated career that saw him winning titles in Dubai and Halle, and reaching his first Grand Slam finals after a two-year drought.
The 32-year old Federer, who is amazingly fending off father time, emerges once again among the top favourites at the final Grand Slam tournament of the year in Flushing Meadows, New York.
Exactly a year ago, many fans and tennis analysts were dismissing Federer's chances of recapturing his status as a force in Grand Slam tennis following a series of early exits in several tournaments - including a second-round shocker at the 2013 Wimbledon Open.
In fact, there were a growing concern that Federer might have eventually close the curtain on his epic tennis career that saw him breaking multiple records and bagging as many as 17 Grand Slam titles.
However, with the arrival of tennis great Stefan Edberg in his coaching staff and a more polished technique using a bigger racket, the Swiss Maestro re-asserted his claim to throne by showcasing a more aggressive style of tennis and modified a version of the classical serve-and-volley strategy.
This kind of approach has helped Federer start the year with a bag by winning the tournament at the Dubai Tennis Championship and reaching the Australian Open semis, where he's booted out by Nadal.
Though he had a rough clay-court season largely because of lack of practices as a result of the birth of his second set of twins in May, Federer took the grass-court season by storm as he once again bagged the title at Gerry Webber Open and took Novak Djokovic to the limit in another epic Wimbledon Open final.
Federer's superb performance at All England Club opened many eyes that he's still someone to be reckoned with in the sport. His resurgence has turned many doubters into believers that winning a Grand Slam remains possible for the ageing tennis great.
Looking forward to the US Open championship, the Swiss will once again attempt to win Grand Slam no.18. The health status of Rafael Nadal would sure bolster his bid in Flushing Meadows, but he must also overcome a plethora of up-and-coming stars like Kei Nishikori, Milos Raonic, Ernest Gulbis and Nick Kyrgios who are hungry for Grand Slam glory. Of course, Andy Murray, Djokovic and Nadal (if he's healthy) are still the big players along the way. However, one thing is for sure about Federer ahead of the US Open joust - he has a legit shot at no.18.
For more Roger Federer stories, read more at IBT Sports
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Boxing News: Pacquiao And Mayweather Might Meet 'In The First Six Months Of Next Year' - Bob Arum
- Boxing News 2014: Pacquiao Considers Ditching Jessica Sanchez To Sing Philippine National Anthem In Favour Of Born-Again Pastors; Stallone & Schwarzenegger to Watch Bout
- Michael Phelps' Lover Reveals She Was Born Intersex In Lengthy Facebook Post
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports