Dolce and Gabbana Threatens Vanity Fair, Editor-in-Chief, Anna Wintour Over Tax Fraud Expose
By Annie Dee | August 4, 2014 7:17 PM EST
There's fire in the fashion industry and damage control is needed, ASAP. Page Six learned that designers Domenico Dolce and Stefano Gabbana threw a hissy fit after getting information that there would be an upcoming Vanity Fair piece possibly detailing their legal woes. These two big names in the fashion industry wants the magazine editor, Anna Wintour to kill the expose or else.
Italian designers Stefano Gabbana (L) stands next to Domenico Dolce as they talk to the media during a party marking the 25th anniversary of British model Naomi Campbell career in downtown Shanghai October 28, 2010.
Page Six reports that world renowned Italian designers Dolce and Gabbana cannot sit well with the upcoming Vanity Fair feature regarding their tax problems that they are threatening to withdraw ten of millions in advertising projects from Conde Nast. The only way to placate them is if Wintour will stop the expose from happening.
Allegedly, the designers were found to have committed tax fraud on $1 billion in earnings last year in Italy. They were asked to pay $470 million and given of 18-months jail sentence. However, the designers think they cannot afford to have the details of the tax fraud published in Vanity Fair.
Even though Wintour cannot agree to their request, the editor-in-chief reportedly went to do some damage control. The fashion queen flew to Capri on July with Vogue writer, Hamish Bowles in tow to attend the fashion house's lavish Alta Moda show on the shores of Capri to cover the event exclusively.
According to Bowles, D&G's hospitality knew no bounds. All the guests were ferried to the show and treated to dinner after on a "flotilla of little sailboats that had their prows garlanded with swags of lemon and bay leaf." The clothes were described with glaring positivity. The clothes were called "extraordinarily lavish" with "insouciant throwaway chicness." Bowles added the collection "really was stirringly beautiful."
To appease the designers, Wintour also engaged them in a private negotiation. The goal was reportedly to appease them "without mortgaging the journalistic integrity of Condé Nast over killing the piece." Wintour's goal was to "save the advertising."
Even though D&G is coincidentally not advertising on Vanity Fair, Wintour felt it was her responsibility to save the other Conde Nast's magazines where the designers advertise on such as GQ, Allure, Details, Vogue and Condé Nast Traveler.
A rep for Vanity Fair shared to Page Six: "We don't comment on whether we are or are not working on a story." However, no one from the Dolce & Gabbana camp released a statement.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- ‘America's Got Talent’ (AGT) Season 9 (2014) Winner: Betting Odds And Judges Predict Who Could Win The Finals
- ‘Dancing With The Stars’ (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Winner Predictions: Fellow Contestants And Betting Odds Predict Who Could Win Mirror Ball Trophy
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’ Season 8 Spoilers: Nine Moments From Episode 1, The Locomotion Interruption
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Sept. 15, 2014: Liam Confronts Quinn About Her Secret Regarding Paris [WATCH VIDEO]
- Kylie Jenner Admits Butting Heads With Kim Kardashian And Reveals Plans To Move Out
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 Plus vs Xiaomi Mi4 – The iPhone Killer Certainly Can Battle Well With The New Apple Phablet
- Apple iOS 8 Can Trump Google Android 5.0 L Upon September 17 Release
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Twitter Photo Of British Medical Muslima Student Holding Severed Head
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet